• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blorvak 2015! - First Harvest!

Hey everyone!

Starting my seeds later this year, as a result of last year's experiments. But it's a very dreary day in the NW. Which is the perfect time to start this year's glog!

Only garlic and collards in the garden now. And rain. Lots of rain:

zwDOZA4l.jpg

Last year I grew too much heat. I'll admit it! I want to can a bunch of peppers this year, so I'm going strong with Annuums.

The List 2015!!

C. Chinense
  • Yellow 7 Pot
  • *White Bullet Habanero (saved seed) - 3/6
  • *Yellow Fatalii (PepperLover) - 4/6
  • *MOA Scotch Bonnet (PepperLover) - 3/6
  • *Charapita (Cone 9) - 5/6
  • *Better Bhut (Spicegeist) - 3/3
  • *Guwahati Bhut (Spicegeist) - 5/6

C. Frutescence
  • *Bradley's Bahamian (PepperLover) - 0/6

C. Annuum
  • Amish Bush (PepperLover) - 0/4
  • Aleppo (PepperLover) - 0/12
  • Bell of Lebanon (PepperLover) - 0/4
  • Black Hungarian x3 (saved seed) - 0/12
  • Cracked Jalapeno x5 (saved seed) - 0/20
  • Farmer's Jalapeno (PepperLover) - 0/8
  • Goat's Weed x2 (saved seed) - 0/8
  • *Pequin (saved seed) - 3/6
  • Purple Cayenne (saved seed) - 0/4
  • Tekne Dolmasi (PepperLover) - 0/4

C. Baccatum
  • *Aji Amarillo (PepperLover) - 6/6
  • *Aji Lemon (saved seed) - 2/3
  • *Birgit Locoto (???) - 3/3
  • *Brazillian Starfish (cone9) - 5/6

C. Pubescens
  • *Yellow Rocoto (saved seed) - 2/6
Wild
  • *Round C. Praetermissum (Spicegeist) -2/3
* First Round, planted on 1/25/2015

Thinking I still might need an Anaheim-type pepper. Anything else you think I'm missing?

The Plan!

I'm also planning on tearing out the rickety built ins in the basement and adding some Home Depot shelving units, one of which I'm going to convert into a grow chamber. I have this planned for the holiday break, so I'll post some pics of the transformation if I get to it!

I also built a bubble bucket to give hydro a try. Have a few tiny basil sprouts in rockwool now. They'll be my test run for greater plantings down the road!

Long season peppers will be started Feb 1st. Short season on March 1st. 

Will have a dedicated pepper raised bed, and will be using root pouches again. I saved the soil I mixed from last year under some tarps, and I'm planning on refreshing it a month before plant-out.

Wish me luck! I always need it.

Nice looking list, Good Luck to you in your 2015 grow.

How is the Bradley's Bahamian? Have you grown it before? I got some seeds from a member of my seed train and thought they were the same as the Bahamian Goat I keep hearing so many great things about but it looks like they're a completely different chile. Have to remember to pick up some Bahamian Goat seeds for myself before long.

Scorched said:
Nice looking list, Good Luck to you in your 2015 grow.

How is the Bradley's Bahamian? Have you grown it before? I got some seeds from a member of my seed train and thought they were the same as the Bahamian Goat I keep hearing so many great things about but it looks like they're a completely different chile. Have to remember to pick up some Bahamian Goat seeds for myself before long.

Thank you!

I've not grown the Bradley's before, but I really wanted to grow a Frutescence this year because I ran out of room last year. Yep, it should be quite different than the Bahmaian Goat. I'm hoping it pumps out a lot of pods so I can put a ferment together for it.

Fine mix on your grow list.  If you have the space I think you'd enjoy Charapita, Queen Laurie and Brazilian Starfish.
I've lost your address, so if you are interested send me a PM and I'll get some seed off to yuo*.

*you.   Faulty keyboard?  Faulty finger?  Faulty mind?   Likely some of each!

cone9 said:
Fine mix on your grow list.  If you have the space I think you'd enjoy Charapita, Queen Laurie and Brazilian Starfish.
I've lost your address, so if you are interested send me a PM and I'll get some seed off to yuo*.

*you.   Faulty keyboard?  Faulty finger?  Faulty mind?   Likely some of each!

Very generous! I might take you up on that offer! I don't have an insane amount of peppers on my list yet...

It looks like your off to a good start. I'm only a about 90 miles north of you and I hope we have a good season.

When are you starting seeds?

Big Jim's, Cherry Bombs, and the lowly Fresno.  And, for something off the wall, Cacho de Cabra.  Mine grew 7ft tall last season, and I'd really like to see someone else from our region give this plant a shot.

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
It looks like your off to a good start. I'm only a about 90 miles north of you and I hope we have a good season.

When are you starting seeds?

I'm going to start the superhots, and the long season varieties on Feb 1st. Last year i started just around New Years, and my plants basically stalled out for a few months before growing. I started some more yellow 7 pots in February, and these did much better than the ones I started earlier. I think it has to do with my basement being cool. Peppers won't die when it's chilly out, but they'll just stall out until they like the weather better.

Geonerd said:

Dude, what's your problem?!  :rolleyes:

:D

If any of these look good, just holler.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60092457/Peppers/Seeds.xls

Can't! Must resist! Must resist!

Roguejim said:
Big Jim's, Cherry Bombs, and the lowly Fresno.  And, for something off the wall, Cacho de Cabra.  Mine grew 7ft tall last season, and I'd really like to see someone else from our region give this plant a shot.

Cacho de Cabra, eh? Lemme look that up...

mpicante said:
Nice grow list.Like Scorced curious about the Bradley's Bahamian.Good luck on your grow.

Thanks! I always need luck!

Looking like just about everyone is getting their glogs up and running! Going to have to get off my butt! Good luck to the new season!

Neil

Nice list. Best of luck with your season. I look forward to seeing some picture of your grow shelving. There are a few in your list I have never heard of.

Blister said:
Looking like just about everyone is getting their glogs up and running! Going to have to get off my butt! Good luck to the new season!

Neil

Thanks! I may be early for my Glog, but I had the time...

Spicegeist said:
Good list, I'd add a Bhut or two.  Do you want me to send you one to try this year?

You know, I've never grown a bhut! I might take you up on that!

heefy said:
Nice list. Best of luck with your season. I look forward to seeing some picture of your grow shelving. There are a few in your list I have never heard of.

Thank you! I'm in the middle of my remodel now. Here's what I was starting off with:

ifHcE0Pl.jpg

The previous owner had built these shelving units into the basement. They're more than a bit rickety. To the left in the pic is a little door that obviously housed this guy's pot growing chamber. There's remnants of mylar on the walls. No airflow holes, so the basement probably smelled like a weed factory when he had it going.

Anyway, I tacked up some insulation to make a quick and dirty grow chamber last year. Here's a pic with the t5s on:

zWhihiyl.jpg

This grow room worked! But I had to sit on the floor to tend to the plants. And I hate the shelving, which is more than a bit rotten. So step one in the master plan was to tear it all out:

QI5Yp80l.jpg

I dunno why the shelves had wood tacked against the concrete walls. As you can see, water seeped behind the wood and caused a bunch of uglyness. Not too much mold or fungus, so I was lucky there. 

I have some shelving units ordered from a major hardware dealer whom I shall not namecheck, and they're currently being shipped to my local store. Hopefully, I'll have my growing space up and running next week!

Looking good, buddy.  A little wire brush and white paint and your corner will look great
and make a superior grow chamber!

heefy said:
Very nice indeed.

Thanks!

PaulS said:
Good luck :)

I surely will need it! I've been frustrated with growing my little basil seedling past the cotyldon stage so I can try out my bubble bucket. 

PaulG said:
Looking good, buddy.  A little wire brush and white paint and your corner will look great
and make a superior grow chamber!

I'm hoping so!

I'm still waiting on my shelving unit to ship to my local store, so there's not much new excitement on the growing front.

But there IS big excitement in the mailbox!

ILPdKwYl.jpg

Thanks PaulG for sending some heat my way! Gonna ring in the new year with more than a little spice! Can't wait to try these.

So, my big goal for the days off I had at the end of the year was to renovate the old grow chamber. I'm not done. But progress, yes there is progress!

Today, I hauled out a bunch of gross wood, scrubbed the wall, shopvac'd everything and put up some shelving!

VxRL5bwl.jpg

Really wanted to seal and paint the newly exposed wall as well, but the sealer was so expensive I figured that I really needed to read up on the subject before blowing $100. If I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

Luckily, what I thought was mold turned out to be ancient spiderwebs and dust. Scrubbed off easily.

But I'll be able to tend to the plants without siting on the freezing concrete floor this year! Yay!

Next step is to enclose the shelves up with some insulation foam board. And then start some seeds!

blorvak said:
So, my big goal for the days off I had at the end of the year was to renovate the old grow chamber. I'm not done. But progress, yes there is progress!

Today, I hauled out a bunch of gross wood, scrubbed the wall, shopvac'd everything and put up some shelving!

VxRL5bwl.jpg

Really wanted to seal and paint the newly exposed wall as well, but the sealer was so expensive I figured that I really needed to read up on the subject before blowing $100. If I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

Luckily, what I thought was mold turned out to be ancient spiderwebs and dust. Scrubbed off easily.

But I'll be able to tend to the plants without siting on the freezing concrete floor this year! Yay!

Next step is to enclose the shelves up with some insulation foam board. And then start some seeds!
Habitat for Humanity Restore in Portland  might be a good source for supplies ie..paint sealer,foam insulation boards, lumber and such. The one I have where I'm at has all sorts of things I find handy for real cheap. Just thought I'd pass the info on.

Back