Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,339 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey

Black Thai        : Mikey

Yellow Jonah  : Mikey

Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey

Red Bhutlah   : Mikey

Tepin x Lemmon drop

Pimenta Lisa : Stefan

Brazilian Starfish

Bell

Poblano

Billy Biker

Jalapeno

Jimmy Nardello

Bishops Crown

Sweet Hungarian Paprika

Bahamian Goat

Urfa Biber

Jelly Bean White Hab

Jigsaw

Nagabrain F4

Numex Jalamundo

Cream Fatalii

Isabella Island Hab: Jim

Cherry Bomb: Jim

Moa

Kurt’s

JA Habs

White Bhut

Anaheim

Jigsaw

Burgundy

Ma Wiri wiri: Jim

Pepperdew: Jim

Pimenta De Padron: Jim

Wild tepin: Jim

Jigsaw

Six secrets from Stefan

Orange Primo: Mikey

Choc Bhutlah

Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red

Red Lava: Mikey

White Hab

Naga King: Rick

BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Edited by Devv, 09 March 2016 - 08:17 PM.

It's all about the pods....

#2 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • aka:Roguejim

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

Let me be the first to say "It is ON"!  I hope your wife likes your choices this season.

The RCW experiment will be very interesting, but even if it is a huge success, I can't see you abandoning your traditional methods. 

I'm liking the Jiffy markers.  Why didn't I think of that?  I'll bet you will like the heat mat.  Onward, Scot!!!

"The Pacific Northwest GLOG is the place to be."

#3 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

Nice Scott... I can see you're off to a rolling start! Green manure is looking great... 70 plants is easing off!?? ;)  Probably a good idea to have LB on board as much as possible too. After the holidaze my wife and I'll make our plans for the 2015 garden... she says she wants more input, and we've gotta keep the women happy, eh?

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#4 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

Let me be the first to say "It is ON"!  I hope your wife likes your choices this season.

The RCW experiment will be very interesting, but even if it is a huge success, I can't see you abandoning your traditional methods. 

I'm liking the Jiffy markers.  Why didn't I think of that?  I'll bet you will like the heat mat.  Onward, Scot!!!

Yeah it is!

I already have ground up 3 truck loads of leaves, which made less than a truckload of ground material. Once I return from Vaykay, I'll start getting more RCW, I plan on 24 yds. Run it through the chipper-shredder and use it as mulch after I plant. And I'll till it in again until I get the soil consistency I want. I added the heavy soil last year, and it was soooo heavy, a lot more so than I thought.

The Jiffy markers were LB's idea, she's a smart cookie ;)

Nice Scott... I can see you're off to a rolling start! Green manure is looking great... 70 plants is easing off!?? ;)  Probably a good idea to have LB on board as much as possible too. After the holidaze my wife and I'll make our plans for the 2015 garden... she says she wants more input, and we've gotta keep the women happy, eh?

Thanks Rick,

Yes 70 is easing off, last year it was 120-140, just too much work! And yes LB REALLY helps me! I have some old injuries, like torn rib cartilage that limits me. AND she's the weed queen, damn she can pull weeds. I don't know what I would do without her help. They say "hard work never hurt anyone" that's crap, I'm the proof..LOL.

So her input is very valued ;)

Edited by Devv, 21 December 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#5 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Merry Christmas Scott. Your plants are going to love your soil after all that prep work.

#6 Runescape

Runescape

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

7.jpg

Cant wait to see how many pages you get to this year, lol...

Btw, is that some squash in the bottom right corner?

#7 thirdcoasttx

thirdcoasttx

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

Here we go!!! Can't wait to see how your grow goes this year!! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

#8 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
  • aka:Trippa

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

And we are off and racing! Can't wait Devv ... Your blog is always a good show!

Everything on this glog = Just F%£*king marvelous.

#9 MeatHead1313

MeatHead1313

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Love the list Scott! Looking forward to learning as much from your glog for the 2015 season as I did from this years!

Edit to add as I had a brainfart-Merry Christmas to you, LB and all of your friends and family!

Edited by MeatHead1313, 21 December 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#10 JJJessee

JJJessee

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Merry Christmas to you too Scott!

You are a month or more closer to plant out than most of us, so time to get crackin' ;)

And you have with all that RWC, and TWO cover crops going in. That rye/clover was beautiful. I'll bet that's the prettiest patch a ground in Tejas. That's great color in a sand base.

Ever try any buckwheat? It'll make a good cover in just a month but won't take a lick of frost. I'm testing some diakon tilling radish this winter on one end where the clay is harder. It's suppose to go deep.

Can't wait to hear your review on the Lava. I bet it will melt rock.

Your comfrey has taken hold real well, big ol' leaves for young crowns.

Deer have found mine; I'm gonna have to  put a net on it.

That heat mat will do you justice.

Have fun!

be an ASSET to the **COLLECTIVE**

#11 cone9

cone9

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

Great start, Scott.

There'll be a package arriving shortly with a few temptations.   Sorry!

So many peppers, so little time!             GO  BUCKEYES !            Anymore, it seems the only thing I get done quickly is get older

New goal in life:   I hope I get grandchildren before I get a walker

#12 blorvak

blorvak

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • aka:Blorvak

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

Another epic grow! I followed along all last year, and will do so again this year!

It looks like a lot of folks are toning down the heat a bit. Variety is the spice of life!

Best of luck and happy holidays!

#13 capsidadburn

capsidadburn

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

Your off to a great looking start Scott! Best of luck this season.

#14 Jeff H

Jeff H

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm on board for this wild ride. Looking good bud.

For Real, in my kitchen!  ...Or if not, then we'll be at Scovie's watching him rub his butt...

#15 beerbreath81

beerbreath81

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Nice work Scott, looks like a great start to another epic glog. Your Rye has really taken off since last you posted. Mine really hasnt done much still about 3-4" tall. Course we are alot colder than you are and I'm thinking that in the spring it will shoot up like a rocket, (hopefully). We did have a week or so of 60 degree weather so I saw it as an oprotunity to give it a good watering. Can't wait to get started this spring.

Your list looks great, nice selcetion you have and will be fun to watch you progress.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

#16 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the good vibes guys!

I'll answer when I return; going to see Mom in Az. for Christmas and I need to get ready..

"yall have a safe and Merry Christmas!

#17 organic pepper

organic pepper

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • aka:Aaron

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Totally Awesome Scott!  Digging that list you got. Been thinking about adding biker billy to my grow as well. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas!

#18 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hell yeah Scott hope those seeds i sent work out for you!  No chocolate bhutlah or chocolate brain strain? 

#19 East Texas Heat

East Texas Heat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

+1 to what everyone has already said, safe travels merry Christmas, happy and prosperous new year, enjoy the trip, and here's looking forward to a pirate convention in the grow dome when you get back!

#20 meatfreak

meatfreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • aka:meatie

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

Of to an great season again, Scott! Have an great one and looking forward to your updates as always :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supers, Habs, Sweets, Soil building

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests