991 replies to this topic

#41 thirdcoasttx

thirdcoasttx

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Scott I'm not going to lie I just had an eyegasm looking at those tamales. They look amazing and nothing beats home made tamales well done.

#42 MeatHead1313

MeatHead1313

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

Those tamales look amazing Scott! Much better than the mass produced frozen stuff we get here. Bet the taste is out of this world!

#43 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Scott I'm not going to lie I just had an eyegasm looking at those tamales. They look amazing and nothing beats home made tamales well done.

Those tamales look amazing Scott! Much better than the mass produced frozen stuff we get here. Bet the taste is out of this world!

Thanks!

I posted that because last season we were talking Tamales on Jamie's glog, and we've been wanting to make them. The recipe is from Alice's Mom, who's from Mexico, and it's just plain killer. I would recommend making a half sized batch, as we spent 6.5 hours today making them. But dang they eat good! I sure hope some of "Yall make them!

It's all about the pods....

#44 thirdcoasttx

thirdcoasttx

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Last night was not only new years eve but my old man's birthday and his neighbor brought bacon wrapped venison tamales. I don't even know how to describe the party my taste buds were having.

#45 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Last night was not only new years eve but my old man's birthday and his neighbor brought bacon wrapped venison tamales. I don't even know how to describe the party my taste buds were having.

Now that sounds good!

And say Happy B-Day to the old man <--I resemble that remark...LOL

When Alice and LB used to make Tamales together we would stew down 10lb of Venison and Alice would bring the Pork, it was then mixed.

Edited by Devv, 01 January 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#46 PIC 1

PIC 1

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Those Tamales look very tasty........I don't envy all the work that went into those, but I can see it was all worth the while.

Soil prep looks great , nice and clean rows. Betcha can't wait to get the 1st plants in the ground.

Best of luck with the 2015 season !

#47 East Texas Heat

East Texas Heat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Mmmmmm tamales, one of the few benefits of working in foodservice in Texas almost exclusively with Hispanic coworkers. Plus if you make more than you can eat you can freeze em and reheat later. Good on y'all for doing em up right Devv!

#48 cone9

cone9

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Scott, you're gonna have to start a Flog too!

...and, GO BUCKEYES (I know it has nothing to do with THP, but the game is just about to start)

Edited by cone9, 01 January 2015 - 08:59 PM.

So many peppers, so little time!             GO  BUCKEYES !            Anymore, it seems the only thing I get done quickly is get older

New goal in life:   I hope I get grandchildren before I get a walker

#49 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Those Tamales look very tasty........I don't envy all the work that went into those, but I can see it was all worth the while.

Soil prep looks great , nice and clean rows. Betcha can't wait to get the 1st plants in the ground.

Best of luck with the 2015 season !

Thanks Greg!

Tamales are really big down here and are mas tasty!

Mmmmmm tamales, one of the few benefits of working in foodservice in Texas almost exclusively with Hispanic coworkers. Plus if you make more than you can eat you can freeze em and reheat later. Good on y'all for doing em up right Devv!

Thanks Bruce!

LB and I moved to Tejas in 1978; although we miss the East coast cuisine, we have most definitely embraced the local fare ;)

Scott, you're gonna have to start a Flog too!

...and, GO BUCKEYES (I know it has nothing to do with THP, but the game is just about to start)

LOL, I struggle to keep up in the glog section ;)

Well 44 for 70 in 12 days isn't too bad; sure beats last year!

Funny thing, I had saved the Jiffy pellets from last year that the seeds never germed in and decided to reuse them for the tomato seeds. Just in case some old pepper seeds germed. I knew I wouldn't have any pepper plant mix ups. Well the old seeds are popping. Go figure ;)

#50 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

Love me some Tamales, but I can't have them too often... :eh:  Yours look delish Scott! :drooling:

The garden looks great too! I love that lush green look it had just before you tilled it under. Man... planting onions already... you got me officially jealous. ;)

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#51 RocketMan

RocketMan

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts
  • aka:RM
  • (x2)

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

Man oh man Scitt, there I was looking a my and reading all your garden and soil love and then you throw this tamales at us. That's just not right bro but I bet they were mighty tasty :) I'm loving what your doing with the cover crops and all. It's a lot of work but well worth it to grow and replenish the soil and the soul.

Peace be with you and a Happy New Grow Year!
Answering The Call For Fire!  If you can't stand the Heat, don't tickle the Dragon!

#52 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Love me some Tamales, but I can't have them too often... :eh:  Yours look delish Scott! :drooling:

The garden looks great too! I love that lush green look it had just before you tilled it under. Man... planting onions already... you got me officially jealous. ;)

Thanks Rick!

Those Tamales will last us a long time, I'm in the same boat, they taste great, but are a bit rich. But I'd rather get the calories from them versus cake ;)

Onions go in the ground in 2 weeks!

Man oh man Scitt, there I was looking a my and reading all your garden and soil love and then you throw this tamales at us. That's just not right bro but I bet they were mighty tasty :) I'm loving what your doing with the cover crops and all. It's a lot of work but well worth it to grow and replenish the soil and the soul.

Peace be with you and a Happy New Grow Year!

Thanks Bill!

That Tamale recipe is a real keeper! We were pleased that they came out exactly the same as when Alice mixed the ingredients.

"It's a lot of work but well worth it to grow and replenish the soil and the soul." Well said! I just love being outside "doing something", even if it's stacking wood.

Last night we were watching a movie and my wife thought she heard thunder. In January? Well she was correct. Nothing on radar, but it was just like a spring storm and we got an inch of rain. Can't beat that!

We brought everything inside that we could lift. It's supposed to freeze 3 mornings this week :confused:

#53 PaulS

PaulS

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

I've always heard people mention tamales, I guess on tv, but I've never known what they were. I don't think its something we have over here.

They look really good, I bet they taste good too! Maybe I'll try making them one day.

Your plants are coming along nicely, the bed too. Good work dude

#54 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

That is some sick soil prep, Scott!  That stuff is worth it's weight in gold after your labors   :cool:

The tamales are even sicker!   :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

#55 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

I've always heard people mention tamales, I guess on tv, but I've never known what they were. I don't think its something we have over here.

They look really good, I bet they taste good too! Maybe I'll try making them one day.

Your plants are coming along nicely, the bed too. Good work dude

Thanks Paul!

I was born in NY and lived there until a month before I turned 20, never heard of a Tamale before that. I try most anything, except raw fish. And it wasn't long before I tasted Tamales. They're a quite heavy food, but very tasty. The Masa (Google it) might be the hard thing to find in your locale. Here in Devine it's really easy to find. I would start out with a 25% recipe to see if you like them....

That is some sick soil prep, Scott!  That stuff is worth it's weight in gold after your labors   :cool:

The tamales are even sicker!   :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

Thanks Paul!

I'm hoping the soil works well this season!

I hope a few peeps actually make them, the recipe is fantastic!

#56 Pulpiteer

Pulpiteer

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • aka:Andy

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Man, the glog is off to an awesome start! I love the soil prep - nice work on the cover crops.  I want to do more with cover crops as I'm reading and hearing a lot of positive stuff about them.  And then the food... oh my... Looking so good!

Righteous heat!

#57 PaulS

PaulS

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Paul!

I was born in NY and lived there until a month before I turned 20, never heard of a Tamale before that. I try most anything, except raw fish. And it wasn't long before I tasted Tamales. They're a quite heavy food, but very tasty. The Masa (Google it) might be the hard thing to find in your locale. Here in Devine it's really easy to find. I would start out with a 25% recipe to see if you like them....

I'm with you on the raw fish, I hate it.

I'd like to give this recipe a go I'm always up for cooking something new

#58 beerbreath81

beerbreath81

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

Scott,

So evnvious of your long grow season, good to see your of to a good start with the soil prep and hopefully you can get a source for more leaves. I'm taking notes and I hope to add some more leaves in the spring to mine as well, THP member "catherinew" has been a very helpful source getting leaves for me. Also, wanted to mention that when I was over at her garden last season I noticed she had peices of old carpet down on her pathways for keeping the weeds down, Ive never had a garden big enough to worry about keeping the weeds down but thought this idea was brilliant, I may have to give it a try this year if i can find some remnants on craigslist.

I will also give ya a big thumbs up on the tamales! They look damn tasty, I have never made them before because was a little sketchy on the whole process.  Thanks for the tutorial, with it I may have to give them a go.

#59 JJJessee

JJJessee

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

Man, that tamale essay pushed me over the edge. I just gotta try making a batch --now that my freezer's getting a little room in it.

That soil looks good enough eat! It just don't look like Tejas anymore :D

Ahi Tuna. A  light searing with a cold center- wasabi until you cry. I could eat my weight in it. You gotta try it. Raw oysters too for that matter ;)

Good to see some little ones popping.

Edited by JJJessee, 06 January 2015 - 10:27 AM.

be an ASSET to the **COLLECTIVE**

#60 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

Wow, those tamales look delicious. Good luck with your grow this season! 

Edited by Peter S, 06 January 2015 - 11:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supers, Habs, Sweets, Soil building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests