Hiring people to increase sales... on commission

Since I debuted my first line about 5 months ago, I've gone through about half my initial stock, converted a lot of it to 3-pack gift boxes and moved those to Amazon where they have been selling well, as well as other venues like Ebay, specialty stores and face to face sales to retail shops and markets keen on local products here in Connecticut.

I have plans for several large state agricultural fairs, as well as some specialty fairs (CT Ren faire, etc), car shows and fruit festivals.

But outside of that, I have had several people express interest in helping me sell my product in areas that I otherwise would not be able to sell in.  By that, I mean friends of mine who want to help get my products into restaurants, shops and local markets in places like Michigan, Washington, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

These folks would be more than happy to help me out, and I feel that they would be best repaid by commission, where they log sales and/or refer people through Amazon with the use of custom coupons and I would cut them in at the end of each month.

I'm not a hardcore salesman, but I did do a stint in sales, and understand the commission incentives to move product and get exposure.

My question is: what is a good commission?  is 10% of all product sold fair?  Should it be more or less?

A case of product sold for $48 to a restaurant would net them $4.80 per case, still well beyond my cost of goods, I still can make money as a business, they can get some extra money and the customer gets their sauce. If no product is sold, then nothing is paid out, and nothing lost from any party.

What's fair in the sales world for people who are essentially contractors for $0 salary and commission only?  If you had a friend or someone out there that lands product in the hands of customers, how much would you cut them in?

Much could be said about what is common. What sets many apart is doing sometime what is uncommon. The question really is, what percentage of your net profit can you reasonably afford as commission.
You ask what percentage is good. Good is what will keep them doing it without questioning it.

I would suggest coming up with a number you felt good with and then asking your sales people to submit and honest number of what they felt good with. Well, the rest is elementary.

Agree with Scovie - wholesale it to them, let them retail it.

Shipping is tough - if your friends are in other regions/states you might have to drop below your standard wholesale by $0.50 to split the shipping.

They have skin in the game & more incentive to sell.

Sales on commission might mean weeks of "I didn't feel like working today" which means you've scattered inventory all over the place without profit.

I am happy to help my friends out - without being paid a commission. That's part of what friends do, IMO. But yes, it depends on to what extent. If it's introductions to a restaurant owner, etc., no biggie and no money needs to exchange hands. Are your friends expecting to be paid, or are you just thinking it would be nice? It's easy to do introductions or even man a booth at one or two festivals, but if you're thinking they're going to do more, like attend multiple festivals/fairs on your behalf and be at each one for hours, then yeah, remuneration of some sort is in order. You ought to think about what you expect from each of them and also ask what their expectations are before willy-nilly shelling out cash. 

A couple of problems with selling it to your friends and having them retail it is,
1. They may not want to invest financially whereas on commission they just advertise and take the orders.
2. Unless you specify in stone the retail price. they may set their own and price the product beyond salable and then you lose also.

These are friends that have offered like: hey, if you want, i know a lot of businesses around here that would buy your product.

Then i feel like i should throw them something for the hookup. Especially if i want to then say, hey, if you know anymore and I'll get you the product, and give you 10%...

Shipping sucks though as cases are heavy. Interesting points though. Is 10% standard comission though?

Sam & Oliver said:
But outside of that, I have had several people express interest in helping me sell my product in areas that I otherwise would not be able to sell in.  By that, I mean friends of mine who want to help get my products into restaurants, shops and local markets in places like Michigan, Washington, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

These folks would be more than happy to help me out, and I feel that they would be best repaid by commission, where they log sales and/or refer people through Amazon with the use of custom coupons and I would cut them in at the end of each month.

Sam & Oliver said:
These are friends that have offered like: hey, if you want, i know a lot of businesses around here that would buy your product.

Then i feel like i should throw them something for the hookup. Especially if i want to then say, hey, if you know anymore and I'll get you the product, and give you 10%...

Shipping sucks though as cases are heavy. Interesting points though. Is 10% standard comission though?

Sounds like these are friends who would be willing to drop off a few bottles at businesses that would likely become direct customers of yours.  Doesn't sound like they are really looking to become sales representatives, just wanting to help out. 

Ask them how many businesses they think they would drop product to, send them (X number) of bottles plus a couple extra for them for their troubles.

Send along promotional material and price lists so the businesses can contact you directly, and find out where they have dropped the bottles and call the businesses yourself to follow up. 

Trying to use friends and family for distribution just is not looking like a good proposition.  Keep it business, or toss a few bottles towards marketing and write off the cost when they eat all the bottles themselves and don't get any to businesses. 

Ah - that's different.

Now the problem I see is that no one will represent your business as well as you do.

If a friend of mine refers me to a restaurant or store that ends up buying, I'll usually kick them down a bottle of sauce or buy them a beer.

But I am the one who talks to the restaurant/store owner. It's a matter of professionalism & respect, and also because I represent my business the best.

As SL suggested - if it's a matter if getting your sauce into the restaurant/store's hands you're better off mailing it & following up with a phone call or visit.

Back