• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Whats Your Favorite Bell!

its a little off the hot pepper subject, but just curious what are some of ya'lls favorite varieties of the bell species? im curious about the white and the chocolate myself! LMK! :dance:

I love Ramiro Orange! Not exactly a bell shaped pepper but it's the most delicious sweet pepper I have ever eaten! Great out of hand directly from the plant!

I'm with Texas Blues on this one. Our local supermarket chain (HEB) usually sells giant red bells for .98 cents and often puts them on sale for .50 cents ea. When they do, I stock up, smoke em dry, and use them as a base for my powder and flake blends. Of course they're perfect for grilling, stuffing, ect. too.

I just can't grow enough of them, cheap enough and in a timely manner to make it worthwhile otherwise.

PS Least favorite is any green "heartburn" bell.

+1 on mecdave's 'buy em on sale, dry whatever's left and use to mix down other powders'.  

When I'm using bell peppers for any dish my purchase decisions coincide with TB - what's on sale usually gets the nod.  

I may be the only person on this forum that HATES bell peppers, especially green.
Can not stand the smell or taste of green bells.
I won't eat a pizza, salads, omelet or most anything else that has green bell peppers.
I can eat a small amount of yellow or orange peppers in an onion/pepper sausage sandwich.

Don't do cucumbers either.  :eek:  :eek:  

Sorry for hijacking the thread, now back to your regularly scheduled topic

Im not a fan of green bells either, mostly because they lack a lot of nutrients that the ripe ones have, but I am not a fan much of the flavor either. Eating them is almost as worthless as eating iceberg lettuce.

On the other hand I can't wait to grow out some of the 'bell' peppers that I picked up from Pepperlover.com.

Not a Bell pepper exactly, but my favorite sweet peppers are one of the Kapia varieties. They're very long season for sweet peppers... about 120 days to ripen, but they're very sweet and meaty... I've been growing them for the last two seasons and the pods average half a pound apiece... 258 grams is a bit over 9 ounces.
SANY7400_zps5fc595ea.jpg

I'm not a big fan of bell peppers, ripe or otherwise, but I make sure that I grow enough to add to my stir fries along with my hot peppers, I can grow enough that I don't need to buy them at the store kind of like buying tomatoes at the store they just aren't the same taste wise I grow the full range of colors red, white , purple, yellow and white along with chocolate.  They are packed with a lot of good vitamins and minerals at least the old heirloom types, I find them to be very useful in a great many recipes, that you can use a lot of hot peppers in.

Favorite Bell type pepper is Pimento, ridiculously sweet and thick fleshed.  I also like chocolate and Orange bells as well, and in some cases where appropriate I will use green bell peppers. 

I don't know about varieties, but the same bell turns all those colors right? My fave ripe stage is red.

Order a sausage and peppers hero, and it shows up with red peppers not green, and I am stoked! Tastes soooooooooooooooooooo much better. Make sure you order it with fresh mozz, and douse it with hot sauce.

Also on pizza. Red peppers so much better. Roasted reds too. I've seen places mix the green and reds. That's okay too. But straight green, not my fave.

Roasted (red) peppers are good on many things.

Back