• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teurf 2015 - Day 242 - Brew, Peppers & Mt.Washington

Good afternoon fellow pepperlovers, for 2015, I want to grow less hot varieties than last year, as I found out I'm way woosier than I thought. I would also like to have all 5 standard "species". Here is my list so far:

Chinense
Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Burkina
Pink Tiger
Fatalii
Aji Limo
Trinidad Perfume

Annuum
Cumra Cherry
King of the North
Fresno
Long Thin Cayenne
Mulato Isleno
Numex Big Jim

Baccatum
Lemondrop
Aji Melocoton
Aji Mango
Aji Verde
Aji Amarillo

Pubescens
Aji Rocoto
Rocoto Oro
Rocoto Huallanga

Frutescens
Aji Pipi de Mono
Aji Charapita

I should start seeds after Christmas, prolly December 26th at 8AM, hehehhehee

Here's last year grow: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43897-teurf-2014-grand-finale/?hl=teurf%26%2339%3Bs 

Merry Christmas Everybody,
Teurf

Spicegeist said:
Ok, nice to see Pink Tiger on your list.  I have some seed, but not much... not sure if I'll get any to germinate...

I got my seeds from Pepperlover, will see out it turns out. Her website states that the pepper does not have the stripes as Mojo Pepper's does, but anywho, lets try it :)

heefy said:
Aji Mango? That's a new one for me.

It is a new unstable strain from Pepperlover, looks like a mix between aji amarillo and something else. Gonna give it a try for fun.

It is a new unstable strain from Pepperlover, looks like a mix between aji amarillo and something else. Gonna give it a try for fun.
damn, looks like I'm going to have to get a hold of some of them. Thanks for the reply.

Teurf said:

I got my seeds from Pepperlover, will see out it turns out. Her website states that the pepper does not have the stripes as Mojo Pepper's does, but anywho, lets try it :)

Ok, well it's probably not 100% stable, so maybe you'll get lucky!

December 27th Update: Sowing

I did it again. Sowed to many seeds for the space I have. But my girlfriend already know I have the disease so no biggie.

Overnight soaking

I'm trying Jiffy Pellets this year. I know there are some mixed feelings around those, but I wanted to try it just to see how it goes.

The layout

I have the tray over a "therapeudic" mat, which turn off every 2 hours... but it is better than nothing.
Pepper frenzy has officially started

TEURF

December 31st: Hooked

Winner of this 2015 hook race is...............

Aji Verde from Pepperlover! After 4-5 days only. I'm so excited again for this year's grow.

I got myself a GoPro4 this year with Christmas gifts. I really want to try to shoot a timelapse of peppers hooking and popping.

Cya all, happy new year in advance and grow hot

Teurf

January 2nd, 2015 Update

Hello again,

The hype has raised once again as the multiplication of hooks continues:

So far:
Aji Verde
Aji Melocoton
Aji Amarillo
Aji Mango
Cumra Cherry
Pink Tiger
Rocoto Oro (very surprised to see a rocoto germinate so quickly)

I've tried doing a timelapse, shooting in 12MP pics every 2 minutes, but my battery shut off after 2hours or so, I will need to plug it to ensure long photo shooting.

Peace,
Teurf

January 15th update: True leaves

Hi again,

Transplant time is about to begin. I went back to look at the remaining potting soil in my blue tub laying in the closet. I needed more so I added some remaining shrimp compost, coco peat and perlite. It is quite heavier than what I had last year. This is why I am still uncertain that it'll do, afraid to pot up and commit to root rot.

Anyhow, I potted a Cumra cherry just to see how this one goes. Also very afraid of fungus gnats. My gf is just getting over last year's infestation...

Close up shot of Red Rocoto (from Nigel's Discovery on Ebay - Seeds from Lima)

Here is a close up to the black-purple leaved Pink Tiger from Pepperlover.

Group shot

See ya next time for transplants
Mellon!

Teurf

January 17th update, Potting up

This morning, while my girlfriend went out for an interview for a job, I snuck out of the bed and went in the closet to get the soil. Labeled all my plastic pots and did the sad job of letting go about all of the doublets I had.

I quickly potted all of my peppers, did some bottom watering and a little top just to reach the roots of the jiffy pellets. Vaccuumed the floor when I finished, as if nothing happened. After 10 years with a girl, you kinda get strategies for your couple to be flourishing  :dance:

On all varietes that I sowed only 3 didn't show up: Aji Charapita , King of the North and Rocoto Huallanga. I was pretty sad for the Charapita but I didn't have enough patience to keep it going so I threw it away.

Pics:

Overwintered leggy Aji Amarillo which did not produce a single pod last summer

Leafless Flying Dragon, 1 1/2 year old seed sowed Kaffir Lime tree, 1 1/2 year old seed sowed odd looking Dragon Fruit cactus

Fungus gnats are back, to be continued...

Teurf

Teurf said:
No shock whatsoever from the transplant to beer cups.

Teurf said:

Great looking "before and after" shots! Good to see your seedlings took to their new homes right away. Your plants look really healthy - they're going to be monsters at plant out.
     I'm trying a little bit heavier seedling mix than I'm used to this year, too. Keep us posted on how it works out. (Looks great so far…) What's the next course of action for the fungus gnats?

Good job, the Pink Tigers are beautiful !! How are the Mulato Isleno ??

/point at the drawing for the Big Jim rofl.....

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Great looking "before and after" shots! Good to see your seedlings took to their new homes right away. Your plants look really healthy - they're going to be monsters at plant out.
     I'm trying a little bit heavier seedling mix than I'm used to this year, too. Keep us posted on how it works out. (Looks great so far…) What's the next course of action for the fungus gnats?

For fungus gnats, I did a little trap with a bottle which I cut up the first third and taped it upside down to do a funnel, and but a little cider vinegar and soap at the bottom.

Next, bottom watering, letting the top dry out, and always watering with BTI (mosquito dunks) for larvae. For adults, I have the bottle and sticky traps. Last year, it was not SOOO bad.

Joker38 said:
Good job, the Pink Tigers are beautiful !! How are the Mulato Isleno ??

/point at the drawing for the Big Jim rofl.....

HAHAHA I didn't notice it was showing haha, I got a little inspiration while writing the names... After its world record for longest pepper, at least I think it has been.

TEURF

Back