• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Turkey GUMBO

Made this from my thanksgiving leftovers
First the rue
1 1/2 cups bacon fat 1/2 cup veg oil 2 1/2 cups flour
IMG_20141221_141634.jpg

Slow cooked blond to peanut butter color 15 min from peanut butter to chocolate another 15/20 min.
IMG_20141221_144559.jpg
IMG_20141221_145921_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_150606.jpg

Next add chopped green peppers celery,onion and garlic to the hot rue

IMG_20141221_141105.jpg
IMG_20141221_150752.jpg

Cook till tender add hot turkey stock.
IMG_20141221_141042_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_154902.jpg

Then add protein this gumbo has Turkey and andouille sauce chopped into quarters and browned then Turkey and some bacon usually add taso ham but am out
IMG_20141221_171535_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141221_173951_hdr.jpg

Added Cajun seasoning and red savina powder,tomatoes whole crushed by hand.
IMG_20141221_171353_hdr.jpg

Heat thru and serve with cornbread and yellow rice chopped scallion no okra in this batch used file powder.
IMG_20141221_173956_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173625_hdr.jpg
IMG_20141222_173636_hdr.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Turkey soup!

Looks good but it ain't gumbo without okra as the thickener. ;)
You are very wrong okra does not make GUMBO the rue is the star and no fresh okra right now so I used file powder my aunt I was born and raised in Louisiana in the French quarter this is not Turkey soup do your homework boss :) lol

In Africa and other places the word "gumbo" literally means okra. The dish is called gumbo from that meaning. You can call it gumbo without it but it is not "gumbo" without gumbo in it. :D That's like tomato soup without tomatoes. 

The roux is the thickener......and ..that one looks mighty deep and rich. Not all Gumbo has okra in it...

Lots of chopping and dicing there....nice work, that looks great !

I might have to make some of that after the holidays

I'll say it's a very hearty and nice stew but to me, gumbo has to have gumbo in it. I understand some people may leave it out but that sort of defeats the name which is another name for okra.

#Holidays

#NoFighting!

LOL

Scoville DeVille said:
This.
Sorry oldsaltydog but THP is right. Ask your mother!!! Hahahaha
Just asked mom she said y'all is high there is more to GUMBO then okra you are Wrong!!!!! Yes it is the name for okra but GUMBO is made many ways file is often used to thicken GUMBO when okra is not available!!! Sorry scovie but your both Wrong!!!! Hahaha
There are many type's of gumbo with many ingredients depending on the season. Okra is not a make or break it just like pizza with fruit lol

No fighting goin on here.

That said, I would punch my grandma in the face to have some of that Turkey Soumbo!

OS, Did you say Merry X-Mas at least or just ask what's in gumbo???

:)

OS, it seems to be another one of those food terms that has evolved past the original meaning. Cheers for letting me know! I really thought it hadn't.

PIC 1 said:
The roux is the thickener......and ..that one looks mighty deep and rich. Not all Gumbo has okra in it...

Lots of chopping and dicing there....nice work, that looks great !

I might have to make some of that after the holidays
Thanks pic to many people forget that cooking is about the availability of ingredients as well as region, as in Cajun gumbo and Creole gumbo
CHEERS

I've learned a lot from OS since he joined. Including this. I really thought they were diehard about it having okra to be called gumbo.

The Hot Pepper said:
OS, Did you say Merry X-Mas at least or just ask what's in gumbo???

:)
OS, it seems to be another one of those food terms that has evolved past the original meaning. Cheers for letting me know! I really thought it hadn't.
Awww shucks sorry boss Merry Christmas to one and all I'm telling my mom now your all in trouble lol

I meant to your MOM when you asked her! LOL

But thanks and Merry X-Mas!

#mindblown

Gumbo is one of my favorite things to order. Where it's available here, it's usually well-executed.

I had no idea okra had any place in gumbo.

I'm sure it was there, now, as I poked around on Google for a minute or two ...

But, really, it's a starch ... not too hard to replace w/ a stand-in ...

It's Quantum Gumbo ...

Or ...

No Gumbo, Gumbo ...

That sounds like some anime ish ...

Seriously, I hope I cook still tonight ...

I'm in DC-range ...

Back