• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil White Mold On Top Of Soil

Hi there again.  I have just started to notice a fuzzy white type of mold, I think, on top of a few of my new peppers in their cups.  They are in Scotts potting soil, and watered only when dry using the bottom water method.  Is there anything someone here can please tell me I am doing wrong.  As well, is there anything I can do to help prevent this from further happening to the next batch.  I will try posting a picture shortly.  Thank you.

here are a couple of pictures.  I was wondering about the hydrogen peroxide and water mix, just that my plants with this condition are just sprouted and just started to show their cotyldyn leaves.  The picture here is just the best one to show the problem.  Thank you.

Wm2KVn6.jpg

wiLzv2H.jpg

The mold is harmless but, tells you about certain conditions you have going on. ie.. Area is to damp. Just scrape the top layer off and make sure you have good drainage on your cups along with good airflow around your seedlings. Usually more lighting, fans, and letting the soil dry out more helps.

Ah, the good old mold lol. That comes from not having air flow for your cups. No biggie. I believe i saw a recipe for 1 teaspoon or 1 taplespoon of hydrogen peroxide to a quart of water and spray the tops of the soil and it will take care of the mold. Have not had to deal with it for a while so have not had to mix any up. I would search for the recipe for if i was you :)

No worries it is harmless, just scrape it off if it bothers you. It means the thing is probably too swampy/damp

Ok, thank you all for your help, re-assurance, and conformation.  I will look a little further for the information on the hydrogen peroxide and water mix.  As for too swampy damp, I do wait until they are dry then water, but do agree for the no airflow condition, as there is none there.  I do have and plan on removing the plastic cover, or whatever you call it off of my indoor greenhouse and replace it with window screen as I had a feeling that this was my culprit.  I do however though have to put the screen as my feline helper loves to help dig the holes for my seeds, or should I say dig them out....

P.S.  I did however forget to mention that all these are inside my indoor greenhouse.

obchili said:
Ok, thank you all for your help, re-assurance, and conformation.  I will look a little further for the information on the hydrogen peroxide and water mix.  As for too swampy damp, I do wait until they are dry then water, but do agree for the no airflow condition, as there is none there.  I do have and plan on removing the plastic cover, or whatever you call it off of my indoor greenhouse and replace it with window screen as I had a feeling that this was my culprit.  I do however though have to put the screen as my feline helper loves to help dig the holes for my seeds, or should I say dig them out....

P.S.  I did however forget to mention that all these are inside my indoor greenhouse.
Just keep an eye on your humidity, that should help as well. Cheers buddy!

Back