• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2015-

Hi all. With Christmas having come and gone for another year, it's time to start preparing for the new season. I decided for the 2015 season to grow a lot more sweet-hab range peppers, as we use much more of those than the superhots as that's all my wife can handle. Still growing a few supers for my own use in cooking, sauces and powders though.
Anyways enough babbling-this (should) be my list for the season, however based on last year, 1 or 2 may still make their way in-
Superhots-
Yellow 7 pot-windchicken (OW) *
Nagabrain red-windchicken (OW)*
Bbg7-kingdenniz
Nagabrain yellow-windchicken
Nagabrain Chocolate-windchicken
Chocolate bbg7 - prodigal_son

Hot-
Peri peri - Refining Fire
MoA Scotch bonnet - Jamison (OW) *
Congo red - windchicken (OW) *
Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7 pot-windchicken
Safi red bonnet - didn't note who I got these from originally
Birgit's locoto - windchicken *
Locato - pepperlover
MoA red-cmpman/kingdenniz
Thai orange - prodigal_son

Mild-
Jalapeno cracked - pepperlover
Giant jalapeno-pepperlover
Bishops crown-pepperlover
Brazilian starfish-juanitos
Black Hungarian - hillbilly jeff
Aji pineapple-coheed196
Maras biber-kingdenniz
Urfa biber-kingdenniz
Aleppo-kingdenniz
Biker Billy jalapeno-buckeyepepper
Ecuadorian sweet rocoto - pepperlover
Criolla sella-buckeye
Orange starfish-pepperlover
Aji mango - pepperlover
Stuffing Scotch bonnet - pepperlover
Lemon drop - juanitos

Sweet-
Jimmy nardello - Kneppers peppers
Sweet apple - refining fire
Elephants ear - pepperlover
Bull's heart-pepperlover
Dulce sol - pepperlover

Wild-
CAP 215 - pepperlover
Tepin-seacowboy
CGN 19198 - pepperlover
Cumari pollux - pepperlover
Cumari pollux-prodigal_son
"Most prolific" C. Chacoense - pepperlover
C. Galapagoense-prodigal_son
C. Lanceolatum-prodigal_son
Cumari do para-prodigal_son
Rocopica-Prodigalson

I actually need to update it to show that the tepin and CAP 215 are now OW'S. I thought they'd died off after a couple of frosts, but was recently surprised to find new growth popping up on them. Trimmed off the dead growth, gave them a feed of fish hydrolysate and put them in the greenhouse. Tepin-

20141208_161318.jpg

CAP 215-
20141208_163401.jpg

I was planning on growing in raised beds this season, but due to our crap soil showing me it can't handle any decent amount of rain, will be growing in containers raised off the ground on pallets raised with cinder blocks. Pretty sure this would lead to some bad root rot if I grew in ground before I can fix the soil-
20141223_170829.jpg

Santa must've thought I was a good boy this year, or he was drunk and couldn't read his list properly. Got some awesome new gear for Christmas!
20141224_163824.jpg

20141225_201010.jpg

Currently have Galapagoense, Lanceolatum, prodigal_sons Cumari pollux, Cumari du Para, "most prolific" C. Chacoense, CGN 19198 and rocopica in the Aerogarden. In my new germination station I have bbg7 red and brown, Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7, locato, Ecuadorian sweet rocoto, MoA red, Stuffing Scotch bonnet, yellow and chocolate nagabrains, SAFI red bonnets, more lanceolatum, rocopica and galapagoense, and pepperlovers Cumari pollux from pepperlover.
I was also lucky enough to get in on Juanitos offer of a plant mfrb that he wanted to send out as test runs before selling live plants next season. I received 2 lemon drop and 2 Brazilian starfish plants in great condition, and have since had to pot them up into 6 inch pots.
20141226_162806.jpg

One last pic. I read a story that a local parks pond had been stocked with rainbow trout last week, so I had to go and try to catch my 1st ever trout as I love catching new fish, and I also wanted to see if they actually put up a good fight. Ended up getting a couple, and even for small fish they do indeed put up a fight! Much better than bass even twice their size.
20141217_161518.jpg

That's all for now. Need to get some updated pics of my OW'S soon to add. Thanks for stopping by, and all the best for the 2015 season!

Great list, will be following for sure. Everything that's growing looks really good. Good luck this season and hopefully the "raised" growing area will work out well. 

One last pic. I read a story that a local parks pond had been stocked with rainbow trout last week, so I had to go and try to catch my 1st ever trout as I love catching new fish, and I also wanted to see if they actually put up a good fight. Ended up getting a couple, and even for small fish they do indeed put up a fight! Much better than bass even twice their size.

Nice!!!!  I really like trout fishing over Bass, as they do fight harder and wild trout are a lot harder to get to bite then wild bass too.   Small Mouth are a lot of fun to on a 2wt fly rod!!  

Scorched said:
Great list, will be following for sure. Everything that's growing looks really good. Good luck this season and hopefully the "raised" growing area will work out well.
Thanks Scorched! The raised up pots was actually my wife's idea, so all credit to her for finding a way to keep me growing!

Mr. Hill said:
Nice!!!!  I really like trout fishing over Bass, as they do fight harder and wild trout are a lot harder to get to bite then wild bass too.   Small Mouth are a lot of fun to on a 2wt fly rod!!
Can't compare smallmouth to largemouth or trout as I haven't caught one yet, but the little trout we caught definitely pulled much better than a lot of largemouth I've caught, which mostly fight like wet socks.

Roguejim said:
Aji pineapple, and lemon drop are "mild"??  I'm a wimp...
Yeah I messed up with where I added them in lol. Criolla Sella needs to move as well as they're supposedly around the same level.

Good looking start. Seen some impressive things come from the aerogarden. Nice catch on the trout too. Been a long time since I went trout fishing. Love it when they dance across the top of the water on their tail. Unfortunately for me that's usually the time they spit the hook!

Good luck in the upcoming season.

Neil

You would like Small mouth, they can fight hard and IMO taste even better then Large Mouth too!!   I don't even fish for Large Mouths any more, but can fish for Trout or Small mouths all day if my back will let me.    A real fight is Salmon, biggest one I landed was about 54 lb, and landed a 40 lb on a 4 wt fly Rod. LOL I use to guide fishing was a lot of fun. 

Blister said:
Good looking start. Seen some impressive things come from the aerogarden. Nice catch on the trout too. Been a long time since I went trout fishing. Love it when they dance across the top of the water on their tail. Unfortunately for me that's usually the time they spit the hook!
Good luck in the upcoming season.
Neil
  Thanks Neil. The crazy growth I've seen people get o quickly is the reason I got the Aerogarden. Hoping to quickly get plants up o a decent size, pot up then wash, rinse and repeat. I hear you on the hook spitting too. Had a few I've got all the way in then as soon as the head comes out of the water it's bye bye lol.
tctenten said:
Great list and good luck in '15. Once you get that soil/drainage issue resolved, I see lots of room for peppers out there.

Definitely lots of room. Got a lot of work to do to get it up to scratch, but we're not moving again for a long time now so plenty of time to work on it. Given the quietness out here, I can deal with crap drainage.

blorvak said:
Great list! I love the diversity that people seem to be going with. Will be following along again this year! Best of luck!
  Thanks blovark! As always the diversity comes down to too many that I like, and too many that I haven't tried yet, not to mention all the new varieties that keep coming out lol.
PaulS said:
Your growing area looks like it would suit rainbow trout better than growing chillies!
Good luck :)
  Thanks Paul. Not sure about suiting trout, but went out in some rain boots with a flashlight last night and found crawfish everywhere! None big enough to eat, but will make good bait next time I go fishing!
JJJessee said:
Good Luck 2015! 
Deep and diverse pepper list.
That trout looks tasty. I like 'em poached with scallions, ginger, soy sauce and a touch of peanut oil.
  Thanks JJJ! I have never tried trout, just went fishing for these to add a new fish to the list. Sounds killer tho, and I may just have to keep one or two the next time I go to try it out.
Mr. Hill said:
You would like Small mouth, they can fight hard and IMO taste even better then Large Mouth too!!   I don't even fish for Large Mouths any more, but can fish for Trout or Small mouths all day if my back will let me.    A real fight is Salmon, biggest one I landed was about 54 lb, and landed a 40 lb on a 4 wt fly Rod. LOL I use to guide fishing was a lot of fun.
40 lb on a 4 wt sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! No idea how heavy my heaviest fish would be, but I'd imagine it'd be one of the massive stingrays we'd get as by catch back home. Only problem is there was no real fight, just a couple of long runs interspersed with a lot of time spent trying to pull them off the bottom when they'd suck themselves down.
OW pic update time. Have most in a temporary greenhouse in the back, and 3 inside in a spare room. Still getting a very small amount of pods off the outside plants. Had a major aphid outbreak on all OW'S, but was pleasantly surprised to find aphid wasps everywhere both inside and outside so I just left them be. Haven't noticed any live aphids recently, and all the affected plants are covered in aphid mummies, so had that problem taken care of without having to do a thing. Love that!
In this pic we have the Congo red, Birgit's locoto, yellow 7 pot and the big mother f1 nagabrain I received from windchicken-
20141228_160004.jpg

One of 2 MoA's. The other is inside
20141228_160008.jpg

Madame Jeanette
20141228_160012.jpg

Tepin I'd thought was dead
20141228_160018.jpg

CAP 215 that I'd thought was dead. This one obviously only just survived the frosts
20141228_160026.jpg

Inside plants are 2 f3 nagabrains from windchicken and my other MoA
20141228_161023.jpg

In non pepper news, we went to my favourite local garden centre on black Friday so I could see if they had any sort of deals on. Turns out they had 40% off nearly everything, and as my wife and I had been talking for a while about wanting some fruit trees we took advantage and picked up a fig and a lime tree. Wanted to get a lemon as well but they were all out.
20141228_160041.jpg

Already have fruit forming on th e lime!
20141228_160054.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by!

OW's looking good and great news about the aphid wasps. I could use a few of those right now. My OW's in the basement were so infested I just removed all the leaves all together. Wasn't a huge loss since I had de leaved them before bringing them inside for the winter so they didn't have a huge amount of regrowth yet. The plants are still healthy and green so all should work out.

Nice score on the discounted fruit trees!

Scorched said:
OW's looking good and great news about the aphid wasps. I could use a few of those right now. My OW's in the basement were so infested I just removed all the leaves all together. Wasn't a huge loss since I had de leaved them before bringing them inside for the winter so they didn't have a huge amount of regrowth yet. The plants are still healthy and green so all should work out.

Nice score on the discounted fruit trees!
Thanks Tony. I had bought some aphid wasps (aphidius colemani were the exact ones I got) online months ago when I had a bad aphid outbreak at our last house. Not sure if the ones that showed up now are from the same lot that had stayed around, or if they turned up naturally. If you're interested buglogical.com and arbico-organics.com are 2 good sites for beneficial insects.
For this year I'd wanted to do something better than hanging my t5 under a table and not giving myself a lot of room to work with. After a bit of research I found it'd be easy and cheap to build a growlight stand. Found some easy plans online, stopped at Lowes on my way home from work last week to get the supplies, and then procrastinated for a while. Had today off, so figured it was better to get it done before my seeds start popping rather than waiting til after and rushing. Took a whole 10 minutes to go from 2 10 foot pvc pipes to completely set up.
20141229_112731.jpg

Good stuff going on there Chris!

This is my first year with a heat mat, guess I'm a slow learner ;)

I saw the flooded pic, I'm sure that can be remedied quickly. I would just for the hell of it make some raised rows and go for some dirt! I can say this: much easier to work with clay versus sand when building your soil. I've done both, and the sand is a 3x work-expense factor.

Kick some butt this season in that new place Chris! And don't forget to plant Peaches ;)

Have a Happy New year!

Devv said:
Good stuff going on there Chris!

This is my first year with a heat mat, guess I'm a slow learner ;)

I saw the flooded pic, I'm sure that can be remedied quickly. I would just for the hell of it make some raised rows and go for some dirt! I can say this: much easier to work with clay versus sand when building your soil. I've done both, and the sand is a 3x work-expense factor.

Kick some butt this season in that new place Chris! And don't forget to plant Peaches ;)

Have a Happy New year!
Thanks Scott! 1st year with a heat mat for me too, will be making sure I always have one now!
The clay soil is terrible, but I've talked to Gary (windchicken) quite a bit on here and Facebook about it and seems like it'll be a lot easier to work with than I first imagined. Just need to find a good cheap tiller. Lafayette Parish has free compost available, and started searching around for either free or cheap rcw, so hopefully can start working on it soon.
Peaches may come, definitely going to be adding more fruit trees as we go. Nothing better than home grown!
Hope you all have a great New Year too!

Woohoo! Baby number 2 arrived today! Bubblegum 7 pot-
20141231_160932.jpg

Ok I have no idea why the photo posted twice. Oh well.
Also did my usual and added a couple more varieties to my list. Decided I wanted at least one bhut so added bhut Indian carbon from pepperlover. Wanted more chocolateas well, so added the BBM from Primo, and after coming close to adding the brown Moruga I decided I didn't need another chocolate superhot, so opted for the black congo, also from pepperlover.

Attachments

• 20141231_160932.jpg
    20141231_160932.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
Back