• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds first time growing from seeds.

So this is my first time growing from seeds. I am using a heat pad and a mini greenhouse. I started them yesterday.The soil seems to stay really moist. When/how often would you recomend watering? I am using a spray bottle with a diluted chamomile tea.

If the soil is moist dont water. If you watered the seeds in when planted, youre not going to worry about watering again until they sprout. But remember only water when the soil is dry. Shoud stay humid in your greenhouse so when they do sprout start letting them get air.

The_Tongue said:
So this is my first time growing from seeds. I am using a heat pad and a mini greenhouse. I started them yesterday.The soil seems to stay really moist. When/how often would you recomend watering? I am using a spray bottle with a diluted chamomile tea.

I'll answer your question, but first you have to let me French braid your beard.

I kid, I kid.

1) Welcome.

2) What kind of volume are we talking about? Smaller cells tend to dry out more quickly in my experience, all other factors being equal.

3) You're going for just moist, not wet. The depth at which you plant is going to be nearly as big a factor; an eighth of an inch sounds like a lot more than it is.

4) I'd almost consider the paper towel inside a ziploc technique just to start them, then go to a germination medium. You'd still want to warm them.  I have no experience whatsoever growing in your zone, mind you, but the basics are essentially the same.

4) Once your seedling are up and running, I'd advise (gently) popping one out of the cell from time to time in order to check the growth medium and roots.

5) What varieties are you starting?
Babysas said:
Flick the green house lid before you open it...then pour the remaining water on the driest cells.

Not a bad idea at all. The only catch is that what looks like a dry cell from above sometimes isn't. But overall, you're talking about a relatively small amount of condensation here. Not a bad idea at all.

The cells are pretty small. I believe there are 72 cells on the sprouter. Basically what I have been doing is checking it from time to time. If the cells look dry. Which they really haven't at all. I just mist them a couple of times. I am starting some scotch bonnets, 7 pot bubble gums, moruga scorpions and reapers.

Back