• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

I figured I'd hijacked the GP thread enough, so I made this one to dedicate to my Squier Strat rebuild. I dipped the body yesterday, and the paint job came out less than acceptable, so I'll be redoing it. I want bolder, deeper purple and less gold.

16098946826_fe33f54223_h.jpg

So I figured while I'm at it, I need to fill in all of these raw wood imperfections showing through.

16124738735_e76c332eb2_h.jpg

15937313398_4151d0d5f6_h.jpg

15938674799_3a4cf17c3d_h.jpg

I'm going to sand it back down and start over. What can I use to fill all of this in and make it smooth? I've already tried wood filler, and it doesn't work so good for this stuff. Suggestions appreciated.

Will do. It seems no amount of sanding was going to level it out without taking away too much material

Durham's "Rock Hard" water based putty has always worked well for me. It is a powder that you mix with water so you can make it as thick as you want to fill all those imperfections.

Do you have an original Floyd or a licensed copy?

Licensed. I'll have a look around and see if I can find something like that. I'm actually hoping there's a sandable brush on filler that goes on thick and self levels

Phil said:
I figured I'd hijacked the GP thread enough, so I made this one to dedicate to my Squier Strat rebuild. I dipped the body yesterday, and the paint job came out less than acceptable, so I'll be redoing it. I want bolder, deeper purple and less gold.

16098946826_fe33f54223_h.jpg

So I figured while I'm at it, I need to fill in all of these raw wood imperfections showing through.

16124738735_e76c332eb2_h.jpg

15937313398_4151d0d5f6_h.jpg

15938674799_3a4cf17c3d_h.jpg

I'm going to sand it back down and start over. What can I use to fill all of this in and make it smooth? I've already tried wood filler, and it doesn't work so good for this stuff. Suggestions appreciated.
Kinda gives you a new appreciation for the work that goes into the factory units, eh!    
Jeff H said:
Durham's "Rock Hard" water based putty has always worked well for me. It is a powder that you mix with water so you can make it as thick as you want to fill all those imperfections.

but doesn't hold paint and Lacquer well.  

Phil said:

Okay, so what does? So far, I've sanded it back down and done some filling with wood patch

I've painted, stained and urethaned plenty over Durham's. It works fine. Never lacquered though. ---Or used a nitro finish, YMMV

Another solid option would be bondo.

Back when I was doing R/C planes, it was nothing but sanding sealers and lots of coats of primer sanded off until all the voids were filled so that may work too, but is a lot of work.

Phil said:

Okay, so what does? So far, I've sanded it back down and done some filling with wood patch
Not sayin it wont,  just wont last through the years.   you may be ok with that and thats cool.

Me, I like to do things the Best way possible.

If you ever tackle another project check these guys out.                       http://www.lmii.com/

PepTalk said:
Not sayin it wont,  just wont last through the years.   you may be ok with that and thats cool.

Me, I like to do things the Best way possible.

If you ever tackle another project check these guys out.                       http://www.lmii.com/
Their site says,"Wood is the heart of a guitar,the source of its sound and beauty."

In an acoustic yes. In an electric the wood means nothing as far as sound. ;)

Back