Chili Festival of sorts - Kentucky - Ideas

So I am a grower in KY.  Not big.  Nothing special.  I am also a blacksmith at our local Renaissance Festival.  The owners are great folk.  Touched on the idea of having a Chili Festival in conjunction with the Renaissance Festival.  Have not asked for much, but thus far I have been offered much help and even free tickets to the Renfestival. 

I guess it would be more of a theme weekend for the fair than a stand alone Chili Festival.  I figure tickets / packages would go out for a sase or a buck, so nobody really making money other than the fair for the food and beer they sell.  Thought maybe crowd source the idea and organization.

Would anyone be interested in such a grass roots / chilihead community sort of effort in central Kentucky?

It isn't too far, I might be interested in something like that.  I'd be worried about a "clash of interests" of sorts though, pepperfire-breathing Pentecostal Kentuckians + Renaissance Neo-Pagans sounds like a recipe for a tense weekend.  Is that something that does well out there typically?  I lived in McCracken Co. for a while and have a hard time picturing it, but I never got the chance to acquaint myself with central KY.

ikeepfish - Not saying I want to swap spit with you in the shower, but I get the feeling there is a reason we met.  I am neither neopagan nor a rennie type.  Used to be, but then being myself kind of took over.  Now I am just a me type, labels do not much work.  Get the feeling you might be about the same and then there is your name.  I am strongly interested in aquaponics, oh but wait.  So I go look at your profile.  Guy, there is a manual mill sitting in my garage, a 100 ton electric / hydraulic forging press in my barn, and a mini cnc Taig mill on my kitchen table.

On KY renfair and potential clashes.  It is the strangest Ren. Fair I have ever been a merchant at.  Yes, there is a bit of the normal drunk neopagan revilry, but not all that much.  Some of my best customers there are deer hunters and MC types.  It is great for me because I do much more than knives n swords.  I do metal work, a lot for the home.  Being there, i do not have to stick with the traditional ren. stuff.  I can make things for the kitchen, pot hangers, coat racks, wall art, what ever.  Hell, last year I was goofing around and made toilet paper holders; sold great.  That led to paper towel holders.  Lots of country craft types.

That said, I do recognize the challenge you mentioned with perception.  First year there, maybe the second too, the local town was very hesitant to accept the place.

Back