• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DWC PPM Question

If my dechlorinated tap water has an initial ppm of 200, and my nutes call for a ppm of 800, am I looking for a final ppm of 1000? Or does the initial 200 get factored in? I am using Fox Farms if it matters.

Any advice for growing serranos in DWC - ppm numbers of other tips?

Ppm is ppm. The initial salts in your water still count. You can go a little higher by adding more nutrients if you wish. I just wouldn't go over 2.4 EC for well developed plants - whatever that translates to in your (500/700) ppm scale. Peppers like some stress; I run 1.8-2.0 in my rockwool cubes but i have to worry a little more about salt buildup.

Also: DWC is an acceptable method for growing serranos if you want big, lush, green plants. However, just like nutrient stress, chiles like a little drought stress to produce good fruits. There is some balance to be maintained between yield and heat/quality - take a look at the Chile Pepper Institute, they have an article on the topic. If you are happy with your DWC results let me know and maybe I will give it a shot! If not, look at other methods such as ebb and flow or top watering. Either can be done pretty easily and give you more control over feeding schedule.

I feel like ebb and flow is the way to go, DWC can be a hassle to change water and can be hard to get the right amount of oxygen to roots.  I've had two air pumps running and still had flower drop problems with even with high and low ec.  Feels alot harder to get "the moons to align" growing dwc

Super David said:
I feel like ebb and flow is the way to go, DWC can be a hassle to change water and can be hard to get the right amount of oxygen to roots.  I've had two air pumps running and still had flower drop problems with even with high and low ec.  Feels alot harder to get "the moons to align" growing dwc

I hope I have better luck. My grow tent is only 3x3 and I'm not sure I can get an ebb and flow system for that size space that would be economical.

Back