• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed Germination: Troublesome Varieties?

So far this pre-season, all my chinenses have germinated within 2 weeks, but the Caribbean Red Habs, and Red Savinas have been stubborn, still hiding beneath the peat pellet's surface.  I got paranoid and planted a few others just in case.  Anyone else have certain varieties that are difficult to germinate?

Similar to what I posted in another topic, many of my varieties germinated in only a few days, but my jalapenos, Tobago seasoning, and aji chuncho haven't had a single successful germination. It's only been a week though so I'm not too worried, but I have started a few more of each to be safe.

No it usually comes down to seed quality IF all else is equal (temperature, soil, water, etc). Generally chinense take longer than annuums but beyond that it might have been old seed, or seed subjected to excessive temperature (generally above 100C), or with mold spores on it that attacked right away, or too much moisture in it then it froze, or the pod was picked too prematurely so the seed wasn't mature either, which can be misleading because the start of bacterial infection can make a pod start turning a ripe color before it had a chance to fully mature.

Give them more than two weeks, I often have some take between 2 to 4 weeks then give up at 4 weeks... providing it stayed above 80F daytime and 65F nighttime.

Back