• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lagniappe Chili Team's 2015 Grow

Background - my wife and I compete in Chili Appreciation Society International (CASI) chili cook offs, primarily in the mid-Atlantic states. I qualified for the 2014 CASI world chili championship in my first year competing and made it to the quarter-finals round which means I finished in the top 60 in the world. I am the current Pennsylvania State Chili Champion. Both my wife and I have already qualified for the 2015 CASI world chili championship and I have qualified for the 2015 World Food Championship.

The chili we cook is Texas Red. In accordance with CASI rules, we are not allowed to put beans or any other fillers in the chili. Judges consider color, aroma, texture, taste, and afterburn when judging. The texture needs to be velvety, so any kind of chili pulp or seeds are out. As a result, chile peppers are floated in the mixture at certain stages of the cook, and the juices squeezed out at the end of the cook depending on the level of front or back heat desired. There is also a complex mixture of powders added to the cook at different stages - we call these dumps.

The main whole pepper we use is the Serrano. In the northeast it is hard to find quality fresh peppers during the winter. Thus my quest to grow my own peppers.

I will be using a deep water culture (DWC) setup in a 3x3 grow tent with a 400w HID lighting system. I hope this works since it was pointed out that peppers sometimes like a drought cycle to produce good fruit. We shall see.

Besides the Tampiqueno Serrano, I will also try growing Guampinho De Veado, and Mazaroni Rain Forest of Guyana, both from Puckerbutt. I want to try something other than Serranos in future cooks.

I will post picture soon of the setup.

Great background info!
I've recently got some 'serrano seco' from Judy (pepperlover) that imho tastes amazing. I'll grow some from collected seeds to see if the flavor is consistent in my environment (i was told the pods were sun dried on the plants).

Happy growing season

Datil

Good luck this season!

Regarding the chili cook offs: a former coworker shared a fantastic recipe that placed her in the finals here in Tejas. We didn't use the "dumps" but instead used homemade Cayenne and Jalapeno powders, it came out great!

So with that above, experiment with combinations, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Langiappe...sounds like you have a Louisiana connection.

Gook luck on that hydro grow!

Sure do. Grew up on the MS gulf coast but married a yat. Lived in Metairie, Kenner, Laplace, Slidell, and Madisonville. Went to LSU and UNO.

Teamfour said:
Sure do. Grew up on the MS gulf coast but married a yat. Lived in Metairie, Kenner, Laplace, Slidell, and Madisonville. Went to LSU and UNO.
Awesome. Welcome! Born in N.O. but grew up in Slidell and yes I graduated from LSU. Can't believe we didn't win today but Zaire did look really good. Too bad he was playing against LSU.

I've heard about these "clear" broth chilies before. Sounds interesting. Have you considered using any superhots in your chili?

Got some seeds for my grow today. Also can't wait to get some seeds from Scorched andI already have Serrano seeds sowed.
IMG_1567_zps2a1fe479.jpg

hot stuff said:

I've heard about these "clear" broth chilies before. Sounds interesting. Have you considered using any superhots in your chili?

Heat in competition chili is a funny thing. Judges are looking for "backend heat". In other words the heat has to start after a few seconds of tasting and should begin in the middle of the tongue and back to the "swallow" point of your throat. It should then disappear in about two seconds. That is why we only float a pepper or two early in the cook. I poke 28 holes in the pepper before floating.

I received my seeds today from scorched. What a generous deal! I am now just waiting on my Tampiqueno Serrano seeds and then I will pop them into my Rapid Rooters. Stay tuned.

Back