• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Anyone growing the farmers jalapeno?

MarcV

Extreme Member
Is anyone here growing the farmers jalapeno from Pepperlover?
Just curious, because I'm growing it and it appears that my seedlings grow so fast in height that they tip over. I first had a couple of seedlings growing in a heated propagator with natural daylight. I assumed they got too little light, so I started a new batch of seeds, this time under a couple of T8 lamps but they behave exactly the same. I have to tie them up to prevent tipping over. All my other seedlings that are growing under the same conditions do just fine.

I'm curious to know if anyone has the same experience...

My annuums generally shoot up a lot faster - and some real fast. Definitely add a fan and consider building up the top soil if you have room. Temporary staking/supporting is ok, but you want them to wiggle in the breeze.

Sowed our seeds (from Pepperlover) on 27 October. These are fast growing, typical for annuums, but I have never seen jalapeño plants look like this before. Ours are about a half metre tall and just about to flower in the southern hemisphere summer. Check out this photo from today:

Hmm. That last photo didn't really show the level of hairiness that this plant displays. Check this close up out:

Farmer's jalapeño is one hairy looking plant. Perhaps there's some goat's weed pepper in there.

Sounds like normal behaviour then...
I don't have a fan on them, but that hasn't been an issue with the other annuums. The Farmers Jalapeno just grows like crazy! :)

Mine is growing tall and slim, I potted up before it had a chance to fall over though. Seems to be healthy and strong at the moment!

Mine are at about six inches in height and I've had the same issue, and my grow is outdoors with plenty of wind. I think this is just a spindly plant.

Mine are a week old and so far just a little larger than the others, but not too tall. I will have to keep an eye on them with this new knowledge. Aussie that's a really cool looking plant, can't wait to see what my do.

I also ordered Farmer's Jalapeño from Judy.  Won't start mine until March.  I grew a pepper years ago called Onza.  It
had a similar grown pattern. 

Well it's definitely more compact than mine! I will post a picture later today...

This is a very unusual jalapeño. I have 4 plants growing from the same batch of Judy's seeds and all look the same. The leaves are thick and dark. I have pods just starting to take now. No corking is visible on the juvenile pods but, if they are anything like the Albanian red hot and other jalapeños, then the corking comes later, as the pod matures.  

This is what my plant looks like today. Dark furry leaves. No flowers yet! :)

P1000147.jpg

Back