• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review El Yucateco Black Label an "unofficial" review

I guess El Yucateco has a contract with Walmart because that is where I finally found this.  I'll give a short "unofficial" review.

Packaging/label/appearance:  black and black they want to make a point!  The whole thing is black.  The appearance of the sauce is a pretty good consistency, it flows easily as I turn it over and over again.  This is the darkest non extract sauce I have seen.  

Aroma:  This stuff smells smoky as hell!  They must have roasted everything in this sauce.  I hope its not liquid smoke.  I can smell something sweet, that must be the habaneros.

Ingredients:  water, habanero peppers, salt, citric acid, acetic acid, xanthan gum, garlic, onion powder, sodium benzoate, and calcium disodium.  No mention of liquid smoke or surprisingly food coloring.

Taste:  The taste is a bit off-putting.  It is smokey, but in a char kind of way.  Like the skin of a piece of chicken that had a flare up on the grill.  It really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  I can taste the habs and the garlic-onion combo, but it is the char that I am greeted with immediately, and it is the lasting impression in my mouth.  It is a little salty as well.

Heat:  the heat is pretty minimal to start, it does build a bit as you keep eating it.  A spoonful left me with a warm feeling all over my mouth, but not much more.  A couple spoonfuls and I am nearing a bead of sweat.  Lips are warm, but still not really hot overall.

Applications:  I would probably not use this sauce by itself.  MAYBE with steak in a quesadilla or taco.  I think the best use for this sauce is probably to mix in with a marinade or bbq sauce to add smokiness to it.

Notes: I like the concept of the dark sauce/black label.  Normally, I like smoky sauces, but this one has a very bitter taste. I guess it can be used with food for some applications, but I would not use it as a direct condiment.  The heat is decent for El Yucateco.  If I were scoring this one, it would rate around a 3.3 out of 5

Watch for official THP reviews to return shortly after New Years!

JayT said:
I guess El Yucateco has a contract with Walmart because that is where I finally found this. 

LOL, well they are the largest retailer in the world, you sound surprised. 

I like smoky sauces on tacos but this one just didn't do it for me.  Maybe mixed in with something else like you said.

Back