• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! New Year New Food Throwdown

Who did the best challenging themselves with a new dish, and pulled it off... the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Who did the best challenging themselves with a new dish, and pulled it off... the best?!!!

VOTE!

I'm tired of not voting for Stickman.

This is the one I'm just doing it, despite the pictures not really doing it justice.

Get that camera up in there, man.

I don't vote for JHP's and Tinnie's beautfiul dishes because I don't prefer seafood and we've decided a number of times over that there's no other real way to vote other than to go w/ what you would order out, or want to eat ...

Tinne - We have blue crab here, but not *THAT* blue ... neat. A bit rustic for me for seafood, which I'm not really all that comfortable with on the whole. I wanted to vote for you right up until a moment ago, when I realized how much stuff I've seen from Stickman.

Can we get a crown for Stickman? ...

I wish there was a healthy dish crown too, I'm tired of voting for the most decadent shit all the time ...

all look good, even the mussels (best plating) despite me hating mussels (for that reason I couldn't choose), but chose the bulgogi because of the asian persuasion. But american cheese? really? Did it work well? I would have taken more of a bahn mi route and quick pickled some vegetables for a frech crunchy bite rather than going for a philly style, but props on making the bulgogi. 

Let's see…..

sicman - I love shrimp
Tinnie - I love crab
TB - I love ribeye
Key - I love tamales
JHP - I love mussels
stickman - I love Yucatan-style pork
zdecker - I love potstickers
geeme - I love the seasonings of this dish

I need to find an 8-sided die to roll!

This was a fun TD to follow! I especially enjoyed the range of entries, from appys to multi-course meals!
I really got a kick out of Sicman - 'rummaging' thru the kitchen to see what he could come up with, with what he had on hand.
And once I saw what he created, a personal fav of mine, my heart melted! That just rocked my world! Very creative use of gluten-free ingredients, and that dipping sauce made my mouth water!

For me, his entry was a win on many levels, and so goes my vote!
Very inspirational Siccy!

I'm going for Tinnie because for a rustic dish it looks a little daunting, and for not having done it before, he nailed it. He hit on all of the authentic flavors for the dish, as well as the methods. It also presents well and looks delicious! I love all of those flavors. Knowing they seep into the crab makes my mouth water.

Had never heard of "Singapore Chilli Crab" before, but it's apparently the most popular crab dish in Singapore, so it must be good, and I always like being introduced to new dishes. I also like messy food! Bring me my bib and let me crack away and sop up the broth with crusty bread (as I read is customary).

Thanks Tinnie! That's taking the New Year New Food challenge to heart!

I'm a sucker for ever 'thang shrimp.

Siccy gets it.

But wasn't just the shrimp.

That dang Chile Orange Marmalade rocked me.

I gotta' make some of that sheeit!

And he didn't post the dipping sauce until I told him too!

you_big_dummy.png

I gotta go through this, and not tonight as I am :drunk:  I was otherwise engaged all weekend at work so I couldn't attend.  From what I have seen though it was a pretty awesome affair, and you managed to get THE TB out of retirement, so it has to be awesome.  I think we need to make next month something that gets not only TB but SoFlo involved.

The Hot Pepper said:

And he didn't post the dipping sauce until I told him too!

And thank God you did!

I've been on a quest with citrus flavored sauces for a long time.

Heavy emphasis on using the zest as in lime baja style crema sauces.

But I have long had an infatuation with orange based sauces and have been chasing the dragon

on coming up with what Sic did.

It was right in front of my face but the simplicity of it plumb evaded me.

Sic Kablammo'd it probably without even thinking.

I think that is awesome!

I got one last night with Hogleg then a 8 hour round trip to the airport (zip-it THP) LOL

I can hopefully go thru all of these tomorrow evening.

From the little I have seen tho, this TD was true to form!

Scoville DeVille said:
I got one last night with Hogleg then a 8 hour round trip to the airport (zip-it THP) LOL

LOL oh just tell Hog take this in reverse...

"It takes 126 hours to get to Twisp. 1 on a plane, 25 on the Pony Express, 99 on a burro, and 1 on Hank's back."

:rofl:

I was very impressed with keybrd first time tamale effort but I am a sucker for potstickers and zdecker nailed it. 

The Hot Pepper said:
I'm going for Tinnie because for a rustic dish it looks a little daunting, and for not having done it before, he nailed it. He hit on all of the authentic flavors for the dish, as well as the methods. It also presents well and looks delicious! I love all of those flavors. Knowing they seep into the crab makes my mouth water.

Had never heard of "Singapore Chilli Crab" before, but it's apparently the most popular crab dish in Singapore, so it must be good, and I always like being introduced to new dishes. I also like messy food! Bring me my bib and let me crack away and sop up the broth with crusty bread (as I read is customary).

Thanks Tinnie! That's taking the New Year New Food challenge to heart!

I appreciate the kind comments (also DTS). It was a little daunting.... my first time cooking crab, let alone the dish.

Just wanted to say i have been introduced to so much on this site... from italian to Korean... Argentinian to US/Mexican... and its what people create at home for their families... love that stuff... not some flavor of the month pish pushed by tv chefs....
All dishes were fantastic, a few there im a real sucker for.... my vote went to kbkid and his delicious looking tamales..... if i found a little senorita who served me up that every other night id be a happy man 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back