• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tick's 2015

New year, new plants, new glog!

At the end of the 2014 growing season, I brought almost all my plants into my basement for some extra ripening time. I started saving seeds (and sowing a few) and freezing pods.  I also intended to more thouroughly prepare overwinters of my now big plants; as opposed to last year when I relied more on luck and the availabilty of some nice sunlit locations.   However I got busy and, in the blink of an aphid's eye, it was almost December!  Meanwhile most of plants had been suffering in a very cold and dim basement.  As of now, it looks like 2015 will be more of a reboot-from-seed-type of year as most of my mature plants are looking far from pretty.  In addition, I want to grow enough F2s of a few crosses to be able to select some with nice traits to stabilize.  Besides the F2s, I'll at least grow some new F1 crosses, add Morugas and 7 pot browns to my superhot collection, finally see how the Jamaican ghost peppers plants turn out, grow the tastier varieties from last year and try to keep a few wilds going.  I'll come up with a more complete list soon.

8/22/15 Update - List as of now:

Moruga Scorpion – caramel and brown
Yellow brain strain
7 pot – red, caramel and brown
Ghost from Jamaica – overwinter

Monster naga - overwinter
C. galapagoense – overwinter
PI 257176 –  overwinter/new
Star of Turkey

Large Orange Thai

Late starts:
Purple flowered chacoense - loaded with pods, grew fast, nice plant!
CAP 212, chacoense
CAP 469, praetermissum
CAP 525, frutescens - vigorous
CAP 546 - should be frutescens, looks like a thai/bird type annuum so far
CAP 1491 - eximium
Rocoto - to cross with the eximium, if they both flower

F1s:
CSO-691 – Chiltepin Sonoran Orange x Cap 691
CXC1 – CAP 691 x Bhut - chinense cross - overwinter
RCXC2 - F1 reverse cross of a below cross now at F2
CXC4 - chinense cross , half superhot, possibly will have interesting appearance
- tastes better than expected
CXC5 -  chinense cross, going for a dark ornamental with sweet flavor - first pod taste was disapointing
Bhut x Bradley's Bahamian – chinense x frutescens - overwinter
(Bhut x Bradley's Bahamian) x monster naga - pods are long, have a bit of superhot bumpy appearance
Frutescens (either Malagueta and/or Bradley's) x Cap 691 - year 2
– finally have little pods
Cumari pollux cross

F2s:
CXC2 – chinense, half superhot, hopefully will find one with interesting pod texture and flavor
CSO-691
Coco Reaper (Jukka by way of cathyssocool), CAP 502 x Reaper
- one is maturing into a very nice plant
CXC1 - started these again late, plants are small but healthy

Also true Galapagos Tomatoes in addition to the likely mixed strain I grew last year.

I finally set up a more proper growing area for my seedlings over the holidays:

Got a cheap T5 light strip and attached a plug to it and got the daylight bulbs online.  I also found plans for a DIY PVC grow light stand online and added an extra pipe length on each side to support the mylar reflective blanket (folded up in the picture).  I may close the ends off.

Last winter I was really lucky to have no pests except for some annoying fungus gnats.  However, this winter I have been dealing with a smattering of aphids by rinsing the smaller plants in very warm water and picking the remainders off.  I expect a more severe infestation may appear, especially in the now warmer growing area.  I'll watch the seedlings more closely now and I may also move the bigger overwinters further away and under an extra T8 strip to just barely keep them going.

Here's some plant pics:

Clockwise from left are a Cumari Pollux cross, yellow brain strains from my biggest plant and a 7 pot:

Clockwise from left are dark CXC5 chinense cross (PI 21566 is male parent), CXC3 chinense cross, another CXC5, CXC2 F2 (half-superhot and this plant had a lot more purpling than its siblings), last surviving CAP 691 x bhut (CXC1) F2, and CXC4 (half-superhot) in center

Sorry about the non-specific names, and I'll probably tell what crosses CXC3 and/or CXC4 are if they survive to the growing season. 

Here's 2 seedlings resulting from my bhut x Bradley's Bahamians hybrid (as female plant) hopefully further crossed to monster naga:

I like the one in front.

Here's one of two CXC2 F1s - this was the smaller plant (probably because of its potting conditions) but it has stayed remarkably healthy compared to my other larger overwinters and the pods stay fresh for a very long time on the plant:

Happy New Year!
- Tick

Tick said:
 I expect a more severe infestation may appear, especially in the now warmer growing area.  I'll watch the seedlings more closely now and I may also move the bigger overwinters further away and under an extra T8 strip to just barely keep them going.
I have my overwinters under a T8 strip, so far they are doing fine.

Thanks Paul about the grow tent!  The crosses seem to be even darker than their CGN 21566 parent; that plant also had a nice two-tone look between new bright green new growth and older leaves (you can see it in a pic early in my 2014 glog).  These also have it but the new leaves seem to color-up faster.  They've received variable growing conditions as I was moving them around until I built the tent and that probabaly contributed to the camo-look.

Thanks Peter as well!  I've also used T8s the last two winters and agree that they're fine to use.  First winter the plants did okay under 2 strips - none were that big for overwinters nor were they tiny seedlings (mostly early to midsummer starts) so the lights covered everthing fairly well.  However, growth was a little slow.  A huge aphid outbreak followed by mold growing on their waste probably hurt things a bit.  Last winter I had plants in several locations and the ones under the T8s were the most negelected, so it was hard to compare.  Anyway, I just thought I'd upgrade to try something new, especially since I'm starting more seedlings in the winter. (Not to mention that the old T8s are now being used for basement lighting at my parents' house!) 

- Tick

So I'm happy with the grow tent, but my basement is far too cold this year!  No room upstairs for it but I've a cleared a space upstairs on a shelf for a few select plants:

Among the plants are a few tepin x Cap 691 F2s and CXC2 F2s that have recently come up.  Also are two morugas - one is normal and one a tetracotyledon ( 2nd plant from front in center).  The nicer of the 2 (bhut x Bradley's Bahamian) x monster naga is now in its own pot on the left.  But the healthiest/nicest looking plant at the moment is the Cumari Pollux (male) cross in front.

Here's another pic of it:

My 5-year-old daughter helped make the cross. She was the bee for it and pollinated it herself!

Plants above are simply under a 100 watt equivalent daylight LED bulb - they work fine for me for small plants and I've recently upped from 60 and 75 watt equivalents.  I'll probably duplicate the setup on the same shelf with my next batch of seedlings.

Still need to finalize a list.  Other plants are either still in the basement, on a windowsill or at work (sadly not as sunny as last year).

- Tick

twilliams386 said:
Looking good! I really like the tent as well, I may have to adopt that idea.
 Thanks!  Here's a link to the plans I used:

http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/portpvc1.pdf

I haven't used glue yet as it's holding together so far (light strip isn't that heavy) and it would be nice to be able to disassemble it as needed.  Plus, I may widen it later and add another strip.  I added an extra 48" piece on each side so the mylar would drape better and my vertical pieces are taller.  I might even use it as a mini greenhouse later.

- Tick

TheBuck78 said:
Looks good! Thanks for the light stand plans, I may have to do that. That CAP 691 x bhut (CXC1) F2 sounds very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck
Thanks Buck!

I'll have to start some more F2 691 x Bhuts - sadly, the last of the 30 or so  I started last summer as a test run has  just died.  They were perfectly healthy,  I just had a lot going on when I moved my plants in this fall and neglected them for a little too long.  Not sure how many I can fit in, but I have some ideas about what trait combos I'd look for.

TheBuck78 said:
I'd love to review one for you lol. Good luck with them!!!!

Thanks and good luck to you too - your seedlings look happy so far!  If my last 691-Bhut F1 and/or any F2s produce I'd be open to sharing some.

Plantguy76 said:
It all looks good nice list and pictures hope all is going well for you and you have a great year!
Thanks Plantguy and hoep you have a great season as well!

Still have some aphids but.the plants under the small LED are doing better.  I hope to take more pictures soon and to setup another LED on the shelf for more small seedlings. I may be able to use my other T5 stand in another warmer location - if this crazy winter keeps going and spring comes late I'll need to.    If I'll probably have very few larger overwinters though and will lose most of my 3 year+ plants.   Won't have some of my favorite wilds if that's the case, but it's maybe good to have more room/pots for some new varieties.

New addtions that have just sprouted are Turkish Star peppers, and 7 pot brown.  Moruga brown, Coco Reaper and gindungo all had roots on paper towels and should be sprouting any day.  interestingly,  3 Large Orange Thai seeds for the Growdown which were started at the same time as the last set still have not even popped out roots yet.  Bad start for me!

I still have not started any more F2 Cap 691 x bhuts but really should as I see people in several threads talking about wild x super hot crosses.  One of the F2 tepin x Cap691 seedlings is looking very nice so far though and more like it is a true F2 and not outcrossed.

- Tick

Those pesky aphids seem to just have a way of showing up sometimes accompanied by fungas nat's .
I hope it starts to warm up soon spring is just this coming month but you would not know it.
I planted the last peach bhut ss seed I had and waiting to see what happens this time.
Hopefully you want lose your 3+ year plants or very many at lest.
The F2 Cap 691 x bhuts sounds interesting I am wondering with a bhut cross like habajolokia might germ better for me.
Let me know about the Turkish Star ive seen mixed opinions on it one for one against
I have some cross ideals one was a yellow scorpion bhutch T x Bahamian goat

Don't worry about spring - you'll warm up long before me, especially this year.  The aphids have not reached plague proportions yet (though it's getting close on some plants I have in a warmer room at my work).  Except for their flying in people's faces, I usually ignore fungus gnat and there are less this winter.  Turkish Star was a free extra from Pepper Lover, though I had almost ordered it,  They are always very generous with extra seeds and have sent me lots of good selections.  I mostly grew it this season because of my daughter's request, but I am curious about it myself.

Large Orange Thai just showed roots recently and here's a picture update -

All the plants under the 20 watt LED:

(I think this is finally aphid-free zone - for the time being)

Cumari cross:

- will need a new spot soon!  How did this pic get distorted?

Favorite tepin x CAP 691 F2 so far:

It has strangely thin leaves, but I don't think it's an outcross.

some CXC2 F2s:

"Quad" Moruga and normal sibling:

Classic-looking chinense seedling, 7 pot:

Star of Turkey:

- Tick

Yes Judy is pretty awesome & generous most of my seeds came form her
Your plants are looking nice got a lone fungus nate still waiting on the bhuts to pop
I like what I am seeing interesting crosses .
What you need is lady bugs for the winter time for your plants.
Mom has those Asian ones they introduce some years back hibernating in her house.
And somewhere in here I got a jumping spider hibernating if it has not straved

Plantguy76 said:
Yes Judy is pretty awesome & generous most of my seeds came form her
Your plants are looking nice got a lone fungus nate still waiting on the bhuts to pop
I like what I am seeing interesting crosses .
What you need is lady bugs for the winter time for your plants.
Mom has those Asian ones they introduce some years back hibernating in her house.
And somewhere in here I got a jumping spider hibernating if it has not straved
I would love to release lady bugs in my house but it would not be appreciated by others.  I did have a jumping spider in the kitchen on some overwinters, hope he's still there.  Plus there's another spider that is living in a leaf it curled up with webbing.

Here's a quick update - I've been busy and moving around a bunch. (taking some seedlings with me from place to place).  Things are looking okay with the plants and now I have two 5000K LEDs setup.  The basement is getting warmer and I may move some bigger seedlings down there and finally get more out of my DIY lightstand until it's warm enough outside.  The aphids just won't go away, but I just barely have it under control without spraying even soap.  When I can, I'm rinsing the aphids plants off with warm running water and picking the remainders off by hand (or even with tweezers on the smaller seedlings).   I've started some interesting wild seeds I very happily received a few weeks ago, and these are starting to come up.

Here's the pics starting with the new seedlings:

CAP 525, frutescens Purple flowered chacoense:

Purple-flowered chacoense CAP 525, frutescens (post surgery - it was capped):

CAP 212, another chacoense, hooked as of this morning.   CAP 1491s have sprouted roots but none have hooked as of yet.  The above were all generously sent by cathyssocool.

She also sent these F2 Coco Reapers, which I'll repot soon:

I'm starting to notice that a lot of interspecies crosses seem to be more prone to unruly and curled leaves when they are younger.  The Coco Reaper on the right is showing it though theplant on left is very pretty.  It was present even more so in my similar bhut x Bradley's cross.  I've seen it in non-crosses as well, but not so much.  Maybe there's a tendency for over compensation/misregulation of genes in some interspecific hybrids?  My bhut cross had very floppy leaves which easily sunburned when they were younger.  However the plants ended up looking very healthy, dark green and vigorous and did very well in a shady spot.

It's also in the F2 tepin x CAP 691 on the right -
P4055994_zpsbye4n1e8.jpg
[/URL]
The one on the left has nice firm and glossy leaves however.

Here's a flower already on the Cumari Pollux cross:
P4055942_zpsxopb6rkf.jpg

Lots of pollen and I'll let it set.

2 Star of Turkeys:

Favorite 7 pot on left and biggest F2 CXC2 on right:

Well this update too a lot longer to do than I'd thought - my computer screen is flickering and it or the connection is slow.  Having to keep editing as the cursor is jumping around, so more later!

- Tick

Back