• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best 7-Pot to grow for flavor?

There seems to be a couple dozen 7-Pot varieties.
Are there any that are especially tasty in the sauce pot?
The chocolate or yellows or reds?
The brainstrains or the bubblegums?
The Jonah or the primo?
The Chaguanas or the Barrackpore

Trying to zero in on which seeds to plant.

You're probably going to get a bunch I mean bunch of mixed replies here.I also have the same question I've only had a fraction of what's out there or available.I really liked the CARAMEL7from Judy.So what I plan to do is plant as many as possible!!!!

Yellow 7 pot for flavor and douglah for aesthetics and heat.  

Yellow7pot1.JPG

Douglah2.JPG

Oh... and the primo is flavorful, hot, and looks awesome
IMG_8768.JPG

The Seven Pod Yellow is a great pepper... I personally actually like the flavor of the Seven Pod Moruga too.  There are different versions of peppers floating around too, so you'll just have to see what you can get and give them a try...

I grew Barrackpore a couple years ago and really enjoyed the flavor, but I've heard other people say they don't like them at all... now whether they had a different version or our taste buds were different, that's not so clear...

If, as some people have apparently suggested, Giant White Habanero and 7 Pot White are in fact the same pepper, I liked it a lot. Intense burn, but the flavor seemed especially clean.

Personally, I'm not a fan of chocolate superhots.

Given the responses regarding the Yellow and Burgundy here from people whose opinions I respect, I'm glad I've got the yellows started and will have to start some Burgundy tomorrow.

I hear very good things about the Jonah, as well, but this is my first season growing 'em and my plants haven't quite podded up yet.

Jonah is good when you want some floral ness, yellow is also great and is a bit more fruity and not as hot

Well, I didn't try it, but the 7 Pod White from Judy (pepperlover) smelled fantastic while I was pulling seeds from the dried pods for a couple of seed trains. Made me wish I had tried it fresh. I was just .... words escape me.

Spicegeist said:
The Seven Pod Yellow is a great pepper... I personally actually like the flavor of the Seven Pod Moruga too.  There are different versions of peppers floating around too, so you'll just have to see what you can get and give them a try...

I grew Barrackpore a couple years ago and really enjoyed the flavor, but I've heard other people say they don't like them at all... now whether they had a different version or our taste buds were different, that's not so clear...

What is the 7 pot moruga?

This is the best one I've ever eaten. It is a 7 pot brain yellow. Delicious tropical flavor, citrus, amazing color - very very hot! 

I concur with many here already stated-

Definitely the Yellow's/ Yellow Brainstrain. The Jonah's were right there as well. Big smiles all across my face when I bit into that one until the smiles turned into 'facial-acrobatics' once the burn kicked in!

Will be giving the Burgundy a try this upcoming season- all that talk of 'honey' being upfront/ in the flavor profile sounds awesome!

Back