• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What to do With two big bags of frozen superhots??

MeatHead1313 said:
Dehydrate and turn into either flakes, or powder them for use as is or in spice blends.
That's what I just did with some of mine last week. Unfortunately only put a dent in the freezer full of pods. :)  Think I'm going to experiment with ferments soon.

If you're not looking to make a buttload of sauce then I would dehydrate them and powder them up.

If you're not looking to make a buttload of sauce then I would dehydrate them and powder them up.

Seems like a good idea. Thanks! Without owning a smoker, is there a "best way" to do this?

Dehydrate them in a dehydrator. Or you can do the oven method ( never tried it only read about it ).

I have a gallon bag full that I'm about to separate and dehydrate for powder blends. Can someone recommend to us both a process? Cut, thaw, dehydrate?

Dry then grind into powder.
twilliams386 said:
I have a gallon bag full that I'm about to separate and dehydrate for powder blends. Can someone recommend to us both a process? Cut, thaw, dehydrate?
Yes cut in half. Dry skin side down. Grind. Boom. Done.

Powders are better than fresh anyway. IMO

Well I was leaning more towards the thaw part. Should they be rid of all.. Um.. Freeze? Or can you just pop em in once they're cut and have a longer dry time?

Powder or sauces.  That's what I have been doing with mine.  Still have a bunch to process

twilliams386 said:
Well I was leaning more towards the thaw part. Should they be rid of all.. Um.. Freeze? Or can you just pop em in once they're cut and have a longer dry time?

I would let them thaw completely.  It will not take long.  Just my .02

-grind 'em up and make some pepper puree following Alabama Jack's recipe. 
-grind up and freeze in flat freezer bags, break off bits as needed and keep the rest of the flat bag in the freezer
-dehydrate- be aware that when dehydrating frozen pods, the frozen pod flesh will release a large amount of water as soon as the pods are defrosted.  Either defrost in a colander and then put the pods in a dehydrator or space the frozen pods up one layer in the dehydrator and have a solid layer on the bottom.  The dehydrator I have has some plastic trays that are to be used for fruit leather.  I use them as the bottom layer to catch a lolt of water from frozen pods. 
-make more sauce

Whtever you end up doing with the frozen pods, Have FUN!

Mkbtank said:
Seems like a good idea. Thanks! Without owning a smoker, is there a "best way" to do this?
If you want sometime, you can make a cold smoker that works great for peppers for just a few bucks.  Lots of info on google and youtube.  Just look up "cold smoker soldering iron".

If you want sometime, you can make a cold smoker that works great for peppers for just a few bucks.  Lots of info on google and youtube.  Just look up "cold smoker soldering iron".

Will do. Thanks!

Back