• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

7 Pot Brain Yellow

Here my 7 pot brain strain yellow? It has a delicious citrus, tropical  taste and super hot! The best tasting super hot I've tried. I have been growing this one for 2 years now and it is finally producing very nice pods. It is very wrinkly like a brain strain. Can you confirm that this is the name of the pepper as I want to take seeds from this pod for next season's crop. The pod itself is about 6cm in diameter, and about 5cm long.

yep, my yellow 7 pods look exactly like that, i love the marbling colour change from green to yellow but i can't confirm it is a brain but the pimpling may point to a brain. i also love the lasting flavour it leaves on my breath.

Looks like the yellow brains I grew this past year. Really liked it, on my grow list again this year.

SBJJIYOl.jpg

It doesn't produce that many pods. You are right. I wonder how to feed it so that it produces more. I always worry about feeding as I don't want to overdo it.

I've got a related question.

Impending Bending gave me some plants last spring, including one "Yellow Brainstrain."  It generally produced much smoother pods than classic BS varieties, and the color is really more of a light, saturated orange than any yellow.

YBS.jpg

I'm wondering if these are more of an Orange 7 pod, rather than YBS? 

My peppers tend to vary, some looking like this...  (Red / Yellow Brains.)

hpim3223.jpg

and others are much smoother, more closely resembling Judy's Orange 7 Pod

orange_7_pod.jpg

A few even grew scorpion-like stingers.

I'm guessing that whatever I've got is not quite stable.  Not a worry, they grow well, taste great and are absolutely insane on the heat.

I'm just wondering, what's the consensus regarding these apparently related varieties?  How many distinct varieties are there?

TY

Last summer I grew two yellow brains fron the same seed source.  It seems that they can vary a lot in color, size and shape both between plants and on the same plant.  One had moderately-sized pods that tended to be a bit more orange.  That plant's pods were fairly consistently brain-shaped as well.  It produced a few yellow pods quite early, but after being potted up, production slowed down until late summer.  I had planted a back-up in a grow bag as an experiment and it ended-up being a much more vigorous plant overall.  The pods were small at first, wrinkled and brain-looking but, once it took off, it started producing medium to large (the one I weighed was 18.4g, and there were bigger ones) of varying shapes and degrees of smoothness.  Pods were mostly more yellow and less orange.  It was actually receiving a little less direct sun as well -  I think this could have made some difference in the color as well.  I think the variability is probably a result of growing conditions adding to some genetic differences.

They are a pretty impressive and fun strain to grow!

- Nathan

Buzzman19 said:
I grew 7 Pot Orange this summer, they look nothing like a yellow brainstrain to me.  I have to say it was my favorite chili of the summer, loved the taste and the heat.  Not as hot as a yellow brainstrain, but plenty of heat to satisfy me. 

2zeibyc.jpg
Beautiful. Looks a lot like a habanero to me. I need to look into these.

coachspencerxc said:
Beautiful. Looks a lot like a habanero to me. I need to look into these.

THe 7 Pot orange are much bigger than a Orange Habanero and are thicker walled also, they are fruity citrus without the nasty orange hab aftertaste.  Favorite chili I grew all summer 

Buzzman19 said:

THe 7 Pot orange are much bigger than a Orange Habanero and are thicker walled also, they are fruity citrus without the nasty orange hab aftertaste.  Favorite chili I grew all summer 
Sigh... another I've got to have then. Thought I was done selecting varieties about 80 varieties ago. :)

Really does look good though. Thanks for the info.

Good to see people's perspectives on 7 Pots. Some of them are kinda of a but to me & I don't have much experience tasting fresh 7 pot pods.

Mine look the same as yours (seeds from Judy). Big plant, big and weighty pods. I was surprised by how thick the flesh is. We had the first pepper last night. Good flavour, very hot. The inside of the pod was "brainier-looking" than the outside! Here is a pic:

Back