• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The most smokey flavor pepper?

Raylito,  I am new to all these different types of peppers, but these sound like they would be amazing.  Have you ever dried them, does the powder keep the smoky flavor.

The Chilhuacle dries out very nicely. It has a thin wall and once it is dry, I crush it up or grate it into a powder and dry it a bit further in a dehydrator. I use the flakes/powder over the winter in many foods. It has an amazing smokey flavor, quite unique. The smokey flavor remains once dry. It also has a very nice smell. 

Hello Raylito,

Lovely peppers you have there. I vote for Chilhuacle Negro. I have grown this pepper for many years and it is my favorite for that smokey wonderful flavor. Mine do not resemble yours. Mine are quite dark, very low to the ground, and quite round in shape. I put them in most of my cooking and really love the flavor they impart. The powder is also great but I prefer them raw. It's the one pepper I grow every season, the pasilla is nice too, but the Chihuacle is very special, at least to me. 

I have never tried this pepper, the Chilhuacle. Does anyone have any seeds available for trade? I have been on the hunt for peppers unique like these. A smoky type would be great, and interesting.

My first Chilhuacle seed sprouted in only 7 days

2z5k789.jpg

Alot of people asociate color with flavour, but I think that can be misleading. I think a dried white bullethabanero is very smoky tasting.

My Chiluhacle Negro, potted up to a 1 gallon pot after almost killing her with some home made white fly spray.

Her final home will be either a 5 gallon bucket, 7 gallon pot or a grow bag.

21b6v0y.jpg

Dried Jamaican Hot Chocolate and dried red ripe Poblano (called Ancho when dried).

Both are smoky when dried, and not smoked.

I'll second the jamaican hot chocolate - they have an earthy, smokyness that's off he charts if you allow them to fully ripen to a deep reddish-brown.  even without drying them its really, really pronounced.  I have a few pints left of a straight ferment I did in 2012 and you'd absolutely swear i smoked those peppers.  an when you do smoke them....wow.

Back