• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Smoking Super Hots

Has anyone smoked hot peppers before. I'm just looking for a temp and time frame on how long to smoke them. I'm guessing about an hour or two so they don't get bitter. 160 degrees sounds about where I want to be. I will be making them into powders afterwards.

beerbreath81 said:
150-160 for about 2 hrs worked for me. You using fresh or frozen pods?
They are frozen pods. I just finally got my dehydrator and blender for Christmas so now I can go to town but in the future I hope to do fresh as they are picked.

Husker21 said:
Try a :high: first.  If that is too harsh on your throat try a vaporizer.  
yeah... will this be the new challenge? take a hit of peppers, pasty gusher, shot of infused vodka, exhale
(assuming you even got past the hit)

My smoker is preset at a certain range so I can't go below 200F. So, I do 200F until the whole smoker box has ashed up. When that's done, I can leave it in and let it dehydrate more or I just take them off and put it on my cheapo dehydrator. 2 - 3 days later they are dry as a bone and I grind it up.

I built a cold smoker with an 18 gallon storage tote, 28 oz can to hold chips and a solder iron.   Worked great.  Found 2 hours was sufficient but 4 hours was even better without being bitter.  Tried, apple, cherry, pecan, and hickory.  I preferred the pecan and hickory over the apple or cherry.   I was smoking fresh pods that had not been frozen but were cut in half and most of the time seeds removed.

I've used my Big Chief Electric smoker with 2 small loads of chips for an 1-2 hours then dehydrated them low and slow for 12 hours and they turned out great. Without smoking them first the dehydrating time is doubled.

Last batch for powders---skewered halves fresh and whole previously frozen in a little chief, 2 pans chips, overnight.
About 12 hrs.
Should have rotated top to bottom 1/2 way through was only fubar.

Batch before that.
Halves on perforated trays, 2 pans chips, 4 hours, finished in dehydrator.

Hundreds of ways to smoke.
Use what you have.

Back