• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Furry Peppers et al. 2015

Hello Good People,

Well, here we go!

Things have seriously escalated this year :D It's a slippery slope! 

I live quite far up north so of course there will be a bunch of Rocotos here. Most of them are already started and are anywhere between the 1st pr of true leaves (most of them) -- 5-6 pr of leaves (only one of them) stage. This one is a particularly hairy one:

bQY5ouol.jpg

Here's my Giant Rocoto that has already been eaten up by thrips when it had just 2 pairs of true leaves, lost those 2 pairs of leaves, but now seems to be growing it out:

98rv60xl.jpg

and a closeup:

LAqhYWcl.jpg

I'll also grow a couple of F1 & F2 crosses (chinense, frutescens x chinense and chinense x baccatum) that have been generously provided by forum members on here and through facebook. I'm particularly excited about

the
Naga Suomi x PDN 
[Bhut x TSM] x Guwahati Bhut
TSM x Bhut crosses from "Spicegeist" Charles,

the
Coco Reaper (CAP 502 x Carolina Reaper)
Fatalii x Aji Fantasy
Fatalii x Aji Golden 
BOC x Aji Pineapple crosses from "Chilitunari" Jukka

and Tick's CAP 691 x Bhut and Bhut x Bradley Bahamian crosses.

And I have a lot more. I said it has exploded this year. :P 
Further highlights would be Fruxim (a supposed frutescens x eximium cross), galapagoense (thank you Charles), CGN 19198, Blue Mystery, and Pimenta Lisa/Elisir from different sources. If my selections seem random, well, ... actually it's not my list that's random. I am  :D

Here's my Galapa as of 4 days ago:

A1EEZQLl.jpg

and here's how it started (I was mesmerized by that furry hook coming up slowly):

PcViYH9l.jpg

And a lot more, but let's take it stepwise because frankly I freaked out today when I recorded a short video of my young plants and really realized how many I actually have. I need time. :D :D

More pictures will follow soon. I'm not a particularly organized person, so no neat list and things like that. They'll come in the order as I feel like taking a pic of them  :rofl:

Happy growing!  :fireball:

PS. Oh, what happened with that tag :D rocotorocopicawilds... okay...

Thanks! I've never had a Glog before so this is gonna be fun. :D

Coco Reaper F2
CAP 502 (frutescens) x Reaper (chinense)

Jukka's photos (F1, da mothaship):

pkHjLZXl.jpg

0rs4W0Tl.jpg

I just find it ...gorgeous! 100% germination rate -- I'll have many F2s of this I'm "afraid"... So far 5 but I'll sow more.

Thanks guys :)

I'm particularly excited about one of the Aji crosses right now. The Fatalii x Aji Golden (F1) seems to have very bad germination rate. (On the other hand, Fatalii x Aji Fantasy 100% so far). The creator of the cross has no hooks yet. Now in the second batch he has many in the germination tray and I'm crossing everything of mine for more plants :)

I first sowed five of those, but nothing. Then on Dec 27 I sowed all the rest he had sent me and yesterday morning I had one hook! :D

Not sure how this season is gonna turn out; it's an understatement to say that I'm a little bit pissed of right now.

I've been fighting with thrips indoors because of a "guest" plant I mindlessly took in from a friend to take care of it for a while. Four-five days later all my seedlings were full of the suckers. That was back in December. What the Pyrsol (pyrethrin spray) didn't kill, I did, after waiting for a while and watching them agonizing.

Second round -- sown right after the thrips attack -- those are the plants I posted above. Anyway, thrips again. Or, still. Obviously. First time I have to deal with this *** indoors, ever, so I didn't know how to do it properly. I ended up spraying them again :crazy:, this time with soapy water with some oil added (organic soap, not chemical detergent). The plants seemed to take it better than the Pyrsol but now, four days later, I can see many of them got burnt again. The newest leaves. I don't know if this young seedlings (2-3 pairs of leaves) can recover from "chemical topping". Well.. if they can't, I won't sow again... :mope:

By now I've covered all soil surfaces with ½-1" sand. Sharp sand.

Once the plants were soapy and the soil covered with sand, the bitches decided to attack me! But by now they are gone. I hope forever. But probably my plants are gone, too... or at least a great setback again because of that oily, soapy sh*tspray. They really didn't like it. I can understand it: I'd hate to be sprayed with some oily crap too. 

Never ever again. I'll never spray young seedlings again with anything.  :mope:   :mope:

Sorry for the rant. I'm just pissed off. I need a hug. 

Very interesting selection of varieties. I can see you have some baccatum X chinense crosses. Looking forward to see what you get out of them. Do you know which generation they are ?

Hope you have luck in getting rid of the bugs. Suggest you watch Men in Black to get in the right mood for the fight  :flamethrower:

cathyssocool said:
Sorry for the rant. I'm just pissed off. I need a hug. 

That was the best I can do from here ...

Hello HAJ,

Thanks for the "hug". :D

The Fatalii x Aji Fantasy is F1 (not my cross). 100% germination rate, which surprised me becaue AFAIK the baccatum "should" be the mom rather than the chinense.
Fatalii x Aji Golden F1 -- most seeds seem inviable. I had one hook out of 15 or 20 seeds sown but it never developed normally and soon died. Maybe something else pops up while I'm not watching (holiday, starting today, with a friend taking care of my plants for ten days).
Both crosses come from Finland.

BOC x Aji Pineapple is F2. Got it from the UK. 

========
I'll probably add PDN x Cheiro Roxa F2 too. Another interesting cross, although not baccatum. Sourced from the UK as well.

Thanks, I'm still fighting, that's why there's no update.

I *think* I'm close to getting it under control but I really don't dare to say anything anymore. I've already thought that twice.

Beautiful photography ... so detailed ... lovely healthy plants I wish you all the very best for this season and I hope your crosses bare many pods

Back