• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 - 2015 "Sunshine came softly a-through my a-window today"

Here we go.  It's hard to believe it's come around to the time to start seeds again.

This year's grow list is below.  My lights and germinating area are set up and ready to go.  I'll update as I really get started.  I'll be using Rootcubes again this year.  I had great success with them last season.  Seed sources are listed if they are other than saved from my 2014 grow.

UPDATED  3/8/15
Germinated/Cells sown                                                                       Date sown         Date of first hook
 \/                                                                                                          \/                                \/
[SIZE=medium]3/3   Corbaci Sweet               C. annuum  (bukowski9 - pods)         1-17-15           1-26      9 days[/SIZE]
2/2   Mini Choc Bell               C. annuum (Buckeye pepper)                1-17-15           1-24      7 days
2/3   Sigaretta de Bergamo    C. annuum (roper2008)                         1-17-15           1-21      4 days

2/2   Bolsa de dulce               C. baccatum                                           1-17-15            1-25      8 days
2/2   Brazilian Starfish            C. baccatum                                          1-17-15            1-21      4 days

2/3   Fatalii Cream                C. chinense                                             1-17-15             1-25      8 days
2/2   Lagacy Big Jim               C. annuum (roper2008)                         1-17-15             1-24      7 days
0/2   Rocotillo                         C.baccatum? (smokemaster)                 1-17-15
2/2   Sante Fe Grande           C. annuum (Big Mike)                             1-17-15            1-26      9 days
1/3   El Oro de Ecudor           C. baccatum (smokemaster)                  1-17-15            2/5        19 days
2/2   Goat's Weed                 C. annuum (blorvak)                                1-17-15             1-21       4 days
2/2   Queen Laurie                C. baccatum                                              1-17-15            1-23       6 days
2/2   Trinadad Sweet             C. chinense (justaguy - pods)                   1-17-15             1-23      6 days
2/2   Tepin x LD                    C. annuum x baccatum                              1-17-15             1-26     9 days
2/2   Scorpion Tongue,         C. annuum (Portuge)                                 1-17-15             1-24     7days     
             Hot White
1/2   Serrano                         C. annuum  (?source?)                             1-17-15             1-20     3 days

1/2   Cumari do Para             C. chinense  (?source?)                            1-17-15            1-26      9 days
2/2   Beni Highlands               C. chinense (SanPatricio - pods)             1-17-15            1-21      4 days
2/2   Dragon Tongue, Black                      (smileyguy697 - pods)          1-17-15             1-23      6 days
[SIZE=medium]1/1   Manzano, yellow           [/SIZE]C. pubescens (smokemaster)                1-17-15             1-26      9 days
2/2   Rocato, Yellow              C. pubescens (blorvak)                            1-17-15               1/29     12 days

2/2   Tiger's Teeth                 C. chinense (Nigel)                                  1-17-15             1-26       9 days
1/2   Datil                               C. chinense (blorvak)                              1-17-15              1-26      9 days
       ('Bonnie' Serrano replaced the dead Datil)
[SIZE=medium]2/2   MoA Scocth Bonnet     [/SIZE]C. chinense (Jamison)                           1-17-15             1-24      7 days
1/1   7 Pot Yellow                  C. chinense (Micca)                                1-17-15               1/27      10 days
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]1/1   7 Pot Yellow                 C. chinense (muskymojo)                     [/SIZE]1-17-15              1-24      7 days

They are grouped (roughly) by heat level. 

nice list ...
you just reminded me to start planning ... need to sow the first ones (chinenses) in the end of the month
when do you usually start ?

Robisburning said:
Sweet mix, a few less common peppers in there too.  Best of luck with your season!
Thanks.   I find it interesting ti search out some of the more atypical varieties.

tsurrie said:
nice list ...
you just reminded me to start planning ... need to sow the first ones (chinenses) in the end of the month
when do you usually start ?
I'll start the chinense and the Queen Laurie (because it took so long last year) soon - maybe tonight.  Then, the rest as I get to them - within  couple weeks at least..

Justaguy said:
Gonna be a good year
I'm psyched, Brian!

Peter S said:
Nice looking list! Good luck this season.
Thanks, Peter  I enjoy the process of researching the varieties I have available.  

Devv said:
Alright Dave! It's on!

Here's to a mas successful season!
On indeed!  Excited to see the first hooks again!  I ended up with about 75 plants last year - I'll try to keep it under better control this year!

Essegi said:
Really interesting list! Also fatalii cream that i didn't knew its existance until late 2014 season. ;)
Thanks, Giancarlo.  Those Cream Fatalii are delicious but have almost no heat.  If it is something you'd be interested in I'd be happy to send you some seed.

Alright, Dave, welcome to the 2015 season.

Good luck with your grow,  Quite a few I haven't
heard of in your list!

cone9 said:
Thanks, Giancarlo.  Those Cream Fatalii are delicious but have almost no heat.  If it is something you'd be interested in I'd be happy to send you some seed.
Wow, many thanks! Maybe i'll ask on late fall. ;)

blorvak said:
Lots of interesting peppers on that list. Can't wait to see how well they do this year!
Hopefully as good of a trip as I had last year.  I've only grown three of these before and eleven I've never tasted so there is an adventure to be had.

PaulG said:
Alright, Dave, welcome to the 2015 season.

Good luck with your grow,  Quite a few I haven't
heard of in your list!
Thanks, Paul.  If any are of interest feel frre to ask and I'll get seed to you.

PaulS said:
Good luck for your start dude :)
Good luck to you as well.  Isn't this a great obsession?
I sowed some seed today.

Not there!

Here:

Oasis Horticubes.  I used Rootcubes last year but only found Horticubes available in the small pack this year.  There's not much difference between the two.  I just put water and the heat mat to the seed tonight.  Now the wait begins for the first hook.

I had planned the spread out sowing dates with baccatums and annuums following along later.  But, I just did them all now.  It's 2 days earlier than last year.
They worked very well for me last season.

Ambient temp:

Temp in my germination chamber:

Devv said:
That pic of the garden hurts!
Up here we call that a cover crop.

NOTE:  The first page has been updated to reflect  germination rates.

Here are a few pics from this morning.

Lots of hooks and cotyledons

It's time to bring down the big light

My "old school" record system

In the coming couple weeks I'll be transplanting these over to Solo cups.  

Just like that, the space requirements to house the kids skyrockets!

Things are picking up speed;
Nice, sturdy little seedlings.

PaulG said:
Things are picking up speed;
Nice, sturdy little seedlings.
Thanks, Paul.

I now have at least one cell germinated from each variety but the Rocotillo , El Oro de Equidor and Yellow Rocoto.
Fascinating how quickly things happen - I have four cells with hooks that were not there when I got home from work 4 hours ago.

NOTE:  The first page has been updated to reflect  current germination rates.

Back