• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

Great to see you back on Gary.  I too had fallen off the radar a bit here as well, and even Facebook.  I'm doing my best to try to keep on top of things better now.  Maybe you and I can help keep each other honest and harrass one another when we haven't posted in a bit ;).  At any rate, good luck this year my friend, and I'll be keeping up!

…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a blog…

Hmm,huh? I have absolutely no idea what you are inferring here????????? :liar: :shh:

Good luck this year :dance:

Hi Gary.  Include me in that small group that avoids FB like a cancer.  It seems to have claimed many former members of THP.  Now, on to your 2015 glog.

Gary, that seed starting mix doesn't contain any nutes, right?  At what point do you begin fertilizing the seedlings?  What do you use?

With your RCW plants, do you ever have aphid problems?  Looking forward to your immense grow!

compmodder26 said:
Great to see you back on Gary.  I too had fallen off the radar a bit here as well, and even Facebook.  I'm doing my best to try to keep on top of things better now.  Maybe you and I can help keep each other honest and harrass one another when we haven't posted in a bit ;).  At any rate, good luck this year my friend, and I'll be keeping up!

Thanks Brian! I like that plan—I probably need someone to help keep me from lapsing back into my old antisocial behavior. Good luck to you, too!

gnslngr said:
…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a blog…

Hmm,huh? I have absolutely no idea what you are inferring here????????? :liar: :shh:

Good luck this year :dance:

Lol, Dave! You doing a "mobile grow" again this year? That was so cool! Good luck to you, too!

Roguejim said:
Hi Gary.  Include me in that small group that avoids FB like a cancer.  It seems to have claimed many former members of THP.  Now, on to your 2015 glog.

Gary, that seed starting mix doesn't contain any nutes, right?  At what point do you begin fertilizing the seedlings?  What do you use?

With your RCW plants, do you ever have aphid problems?  Looking forward to your immense grow!

Hey Jim! It's good to hear from you. There seems to be very little ferts in the Fafard germ mix. I usually start giving them the liquid MG as soon as most cells are showing cotyledons. I rarely have aphids on the outdoor plants. However, they were hell in the germ room last year, and now my overwinters in the garage are getting hammered by them….

jedisushi06 said:

Hey Mike!

sicman said:
Best of luck with the grow my man. And oh ya screw myface. Peeps ask me all the time if I have one. Then I try to tell them that THP is my spacebook. They just roll there eyes.

Lol, thanks Jason! Yesterday I heard it called "Fakebook."  :P

DownRiver said:
Looking forward to your grow WC.

Thanks Rick! And thanks for stopping by!

Datil said:
Good luck Gary!
Nice to see you back, thp is a much better time waster :)

Datil

Hey Fabrizio, my old friend! Thanks for taking me back! I'm anxious to see your grow this year, and wish a great New Year for you and yours!

sicman said:
Exactally if you going to waste time it might as well be here. I only look at one other social thang "drum chat" And its almost as good as THP.

:P  :P  :P

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Gary welcome back to the grow logs.  Very precise grow list everything looks a go for a great germination and a happy 2015!

Thanks Cappy! Thanks for stopping by! I'll be watching your grow, as well.

tctenten said:
Welcome back, I look forward to following this year.

Thanks Terry!

Right on, Gary - good to see you in the grow logs!

I'm growing out the Bonda x Yellow 7 and the Yellow NagaBrain as well.  
Boy, what a couple of winners they are!  100% germination on my
dehydrator-dried seeds on both!  Thanks again for sending  
those seeds last season!

Good to see you up and running Gary!

I look forward to seeing how things progress!

BTW, I have one account, and it's here...and not enough time!

Good luck this season!

Hey Gary, welcome back! Thanks God the fb didn't bite my ass so hard, I am not opening that for days, and when I do, I just check some pictures, and kiss them goodbye! Will pray for you...

Nice start! Will have to prepare myself too, these days.

Please check your messages, I have unread messages... And stay away from fb, because I almost started an investigation to find out what happens to you, after all this time of silence....

PaulG said:
Right on, Gary - good to see you in the grow logs!

I'm growing out the Bonda x Yellow 7 and the Yellow NagaBrain as well.  
Boy, what a couple of winners they are!  100% germination on my
dehydrator-dried seeds on both!  Thanks again for sending  
those seeds last season!

That's so freaking, cool PG! I think you'll be real happy with both of those. The Yellow NB seed mother set an insane amount of pods—Honestly, I don't know how she physically supported that load without breaking her branches. This photo was taken the night of the killing freeze, in November:

Yellow_NB_freeze_night.jpg

I've been meaning to tell you that your wonderful NagaBrain and Bonda_7 powders were a huge life-saver to me after I had oral surgery in early December. They told me not to eat anything with seeds, because they might get underneath the sutures, so my big crop of chiles were off-limits for several weeks….Those wonderful powders jacked up many a bland meal, thanks to you!  :P

Devv said:
Good to see you up and running Gary!

I look forward to seeing how things progress!

BTW, I have one account, and it's here...and not enough time!

Good luck this season!

Hey Scott! I'm stoked about your grow this year…How's that RCW working out for ya?

rghm1u20 said:
Hey Gary, welcome back! Thanks God the fb didn't bite my ass so hard, I am not opening that for days, and when I do, I just check some pictures, and kiss them goodbye! Will pray for you...

Nice start! Will have to prepare myself too, these days.

Please check your messages, I have unread messages... And stay away from fb, because I almost started an investigation to find out what happens to you, after all this time of silence....

Hey Adrian! Thanks so much for your prayers—I need them!  :P

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your messages—I have promised seeds to very many people who are still waiting. I have no excuses, and will get them out this week  :halo:

Good luck with your grow!

windchicken said:
I'm sorry I haven't responded to your messages—I have promised seeds to very many people who are still waiting. I have no excuses, and will get them out this week  :halo:
Is ok, my friend, here and there I also delayed my promises... I was more interested if the seeds I sent, reached you. Hope so...

Back