• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Wanting to try a southern style superhot vinegar

So the idea is simple and timeless. Peppers in vinegar, pour over everything, especially greens and beans. Growing up, my grandpa and dad both had bottles filled with Tabasco or cayenne peppers in vinegar. Sometimes my dad would throw in peppercorns, garlic, carrots etc..

Now.. How is this going to go with a super hot? I'm thinking my ghost scorpion would bring a nice flavor, or I could go fire breathing acid (or acid breathing fire, equally terrifying) and throw my morugas in.

My question though, will flavor even come out or will it just pull the heat?
If anyone's tried this with superhots or anything other than the norm, I'd love some opinions

The flavor will be there too, did it with some yellow BS, choc, and red bhuts all came out great. I cut mine into thin slices, added white vinegar and pinch of salt. Leave out of the fridge for about 2 weeks (or longer) before using. Good stuff. When empty, repeat the process. Ususally get about 3 runs before starting over.

beerbreath81 said:
The flavor will be there too, did it with some yellow BS, choc, and red bhuts all came out great. I cut mine into thin slices, added white vinegar and pinch of salt. Leave out of the fridge for about 2 weeks (or longer) before using. Good stuff. When empty, repeat the process. Ususally get about 3 runs before starting over.
It seems like i added garlic to it the last time i did tobascos and they came out real good.

twilliams386 said:
Excellent, thanks for the input. Can I use my frozen peppers?
Maybe someone more experienced can jump in here.  For flavor and heat i would think yes, but the texture of the pepper itself would be mushy i would think.

I would think so too, but eventually they'd get replaced either way. Hopefully they could hold me over until the new crop starts. Now I need to find Tabasco seeds or plants so my wife can try without killing me

I've no experience using frozen peppers.  Used the last of my cayennes, datils and trin scorps (with some onion and garlic) in some vinegar this year.  Here's what it looks like:

5n0idt.jpg

twilliams386 said:
I would think so too, but eventually they'd get replaced either way. Hopefully they could hold me over until the new crop starts. Now I need to find Tabasco seeds or plants so my wife can try without killing me
Maybe it's just me, but with my tobascos i end up eating them while they are in the vinegar, that stuff is addictive. 

I've done it like smokenfire's many times, just refill with vinegar 3 or 4 times before all the flavor is gone.
It's a play on a simple condiment in Hawaii known as Chili Pepper Water (peppers of choice, garlic, ginger, vinegar, salt, water)

I've also recently started mincing my orange habs and ghost peppers, put them in a big jar together and top off with vinegar and just keep in the fridge.
Any time I want to make another bottle of chili pepper water I just scoop out some peppers and vinegar and mix it up.
Storing peppers in vinegar help to mellow out the sting without losing any of the heat too.

And yes, frozen works just fine but in my opinion you should at least split the peppers in half down the middle so you can see the quality of seeds in the pods. For whatever reason, some perfectly good looking pods will have black seeds in them which make for bitterness in the end. You can get rid of those seeds before freezing so you know you have quality product when it's time to do something with them.

Smokenfire that looks awesome, thanks for the pic!
Hawaiianero I've witnessed the black seeds a few Times on store bought habs but luckily none on my peppers so far. I do plan to cut slits in all that I throw in the mix, so I'll be sure to check while I'm doing it.
Thanks again everybody for the input, can't wait to make a bottle. One last thing, vinegar preference? Is it merely a flavor preference or are there other reasons for using different vinegar?

I found by trial and error that white vinegar is best if you want the flavor of the peppers to shine through. Apple cider or rice wine vinegars change the flavor profile a little but not necessarily in a bad way. it all comes down to personal preference. Experiment a little, there's really no wrong way to do it.
except salt....I made the mistake of overloading the salt in a batch and after a day of trying to dilute the salt without diluting the flavor still ended up dumping it all out.

twilliams386 said:
That does sounds like some kicked up flavor Kevin!I figured you being a southern boy would stick to the classic, but I like that idea
I love classic style on my greens,,the jerk style is great also,,even my non chilihead friends love the jerk style

After you add vinegar a few times and feel the peppers are done,,,try dehydrating them,,,they are like crispy pepper potato chips! Yummmm! 

Kevin

wayright said:
I love classic style on my greens,,the jerk style is great also,,even my non chilihead friends love the jerk style

After you add vinegar a few times and feel the peppers are done,,,try dehydrating them,,,they are like crispy pepper potato chips! Yummmm! 

Kevin
Hey Kevin, what kind of pods do you use when making this jerk style? I feel like scotch bonnets would go well, but I probably haven't tasted nearly as many varieties as you

Works great. I keep a bottle handy at work and at home. I added some to my lunch today. I made it with habanero and TM Scorpion rings, white vinegar, and salt. Basically, it's a deconstructed, tabasco style hot sauce. I put just enough superhot in there to make me respect the heat and catch the flavor of the super shining through.

Phil said:
Works great. I keep a bottle handy at work and at home. I added some to my lunch today. I made it with habanero and TM Scorpion rings, salt, white vinegar, and salt. Basically, it's a deconstructed, tabasco style hot sauce. I put just enough superhot in there to make me respect the heat and catch the flavor of the super shining through.
Would it work in woozy bottles? I would think the mouth is too small unless I cut into slivers

Yep. That's what I keep mine in. Shaker top regulates the flow pretty well. Yeah, you do have to cut them into slivers, but in my opinion, that only helps flavor the vinegar faster. If you want to leave the peppers whole or halved, you'll need something like an empty wine bottle, which I've also used, and had success with. I filled the bottle to the top with yellow and red bhuts, red habs, devil's tongues, and filled it with vinegar. Went GREAT with olive oil on a salad, but man, it was HOT!!!  And you should top the bottle with one of those plastic booze regulator thingies that they use to pour shots in the bar.

Here's what I have here in my office

16264443920_ff893c977d_b.jpg

Back