• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First time growing

I started 42 seeds a few weeks ago. I have 29 that thave sprouted. I seem to get one a day to sprout up. Nothing yet today. I have a heat mat under the tray. A single T5 light on a 16/8hr. timer. I haven't really had to water them much at all. I've been keeping some water in the bottom of the tray with the clear lid on. It has been keeping them moist. I am thinking of taking the larger ones out and putting them in larger cups. Any advice is appreaciated.  The Moruga Scorpion in the top left seems to have some burning maybe. I'm not sure what it is.
20150113_170709_zps1ae486ca.jpg

Good start! I'd definitely take out those with true leaves out of the dome. Maybe pot up to Solo cups with bottom holes and start some very light fertilizer. You definitely don't want them in standing water with a dome much longer. You will likely need more light. Spiral CFLs with reflector clamps work well for me when needing a little more light.  

... and get a gentle fan on those bigger guys or risk dampening off. That will thicken their stems and guard against too much topsoil moisture.

Oh yeah, this is a good time to start a GLOG so everyone can keep a running tab of your progress and ask questions along the way. Good luck!

Ok thanks. Yeah the roots haven't shown through the bottom yet. Not sure if they should or not.. I figured since the bigger ones are getting close to the top of the dome I would put them in solo cups. That's my reasoning anyways.

If that is just potting soil they are in, here is a little tip.. give them a heavy watering before moving them.. it will help them stay "clumped" together during the move.. i made the mistake when i started of just pressing the first one up out of the seed tray without watering first and it just crumbled away leaving me with a root instead of a root in soil.. survived just fine, but why bother when it can be avoided with a quick watering

Here is an update of the peppers. Nothing else has sprouted in a few days.Only two seem to be not doing alright. I have started to see roots on a few of them. Time to put them in something larger? I have some solo cups with holes in the bottom for draining. I would prpobably just use my seed starting soil.
20150117_165321_zps68ceaeeb.jpg

Back