• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomatoes are you growing? 2015

Going with a orange theme this year. Growing two of my old favs Sun Sugar and Pineapple. And two new to me varieties Woodle Orange and German Orange Strawberry.

So what tomata's are you growing?

Paul Robeson, Druzba and Brandywine OTV are 3 I grew last year that were really damn good so growing again this year.

The awesome Fiogga sent me some varieties that I will be trying for the first time: Vinson Watts, Dancing with Smurfs, Marvel Striped, Amy Goldman's Italian American, Holy Land, and Danko. Not sure if I have room to grow them all but going to try. Dancing With Smurfs looks pretty cool and I've heard Vinson Watts is supposed to be very good. Still need to look up the others

If CJ doesn't grow those Yellow Pear (teardrops I think) tomatoes, again, I will either:
A: call a lawyer.
B: load my gun

or

3: grow them my damm self.

Maybe I'll just ask her nicely like I do every year.
:)

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: Pretty sure I had some Dancing with Smurfs LSD in 89'

Scoville DeVille said:
If CJ doesn't grow those Yellow Pear (teardrops I think) tomatoes, again, I will either:
A: call a lawyer.
B: load my gun

or

3: grow them my damm self.

Maybe I'll just ask her nicely like I do every year.
:)

Those are delicious, how many of those even make it in The house? In flavor they're a lot like my little Sun Sugars.

I've decided to stop growing Tomatillos. I have 5 Mexican markets within a couple miles that always have em for cheap.
I'll have to check out the Paul Robesons, Dancing with Smurfs and the Vinson Watts. And I definitely want to grow Indigo Apples someday.

Brandywine, white beauty, orange icicle, sun gold cherry, black krim (maybe), san marzano and an extra early hybrid (can't remember the name).  Nothing out of the box, but I love them all.

i always start with sungold.

new for this year: isis candy, black zebra cherry, black zebra, gardener's delight, chocolate stripe, costoluto genovese, paul robeson, japanese black trifele and i will be doing a battle of flavours to see which is a better tasting tomato, the caspian pink or pink brandywine.

others depending on remaining space: green zebra, cherokee purple, german stripe, black krim, sun sugar, nebraska wedding and macedonian from member Penny.

2014 was a bad year for my tomatoes as we were pounded with a major snow storm over 2 days in mid september and freezing weather for a week, here is some eye candy of a tomato that i struggled to keep on the vine during that time(largest tomato i have ever produced):

Love the sungold. Everyone I gave some of these to last year loved them. My son is big on these too.

My buddy is the tomato starter. I will grow whatever he is starting this year. Lol. Works out well since I always kick him a few sweet and hot peppers.

We'll be growing about half new/half from last year.

(Brandy Boy), Carbon, Cuostralee, (Delicious), Dester, Elgin Pink, German Johnson, Goldman's Italian American, Lil's Favorite, Margaret Curtain, Pink Sweet, (Purple Russian), Rebel Yell, Red Barn. 

Replaced with: Cowlick's Brandywine, Dixiewine, Jersey Devil, Microbecium O., Pink Ping Pong.

Thessaloniki, Gypsy, His Hung Shih, Santa grape, Cows Tit, Super Italian Paste, Roma Grande, Opalka.

and am waiting for these seeds: Limbaugh's Legacy PT.

Most likely we'll have to leave 2 or 3 out from the list.  Just wish we had more room.

Thessaloniki is on my "to try" list. Thanks for the reminder about Rebel Yell, I grew it one year and it was a tough plant but didn't fruit before the hornworms and heat arrived. I'm hoping for some success this year by growing mostly early varieties and primarily in pots. I've heard great things about Kimberley, and Homestead is pretty reliable here.

Homestead
Jaune Flamee
Cuostralee
Peacevine
Iditarod Red
Legenda Tarasenko
Russo Sicilian
Reisentraube
Gildo Pietroboni
Isis Starfire
Copper Currant
Pink Bumblebee
Purple Bumblebee
Kimberley
Fireworks
Geranium Kiss
Ildi
Sugar Drop

For once I'm only slightly overseeding. Well, at least so far!

For yellow/orange tomatoes, last year I had good luck with Yellow Jubilee, Hawaiian Pineapple (is that the same as your Pineapple, hogleg?), and Pork Chop (a beautiful large yellow fruit with gold flecks). They all have excellent flavor.

Scorched, I grew Amy Goldman's Italian American. It's a very pretty and large fruit, but the flavor didn't compare well with the ones above.

kentishman said:
 Hawaiian Pineapple (is that the same as your Pineapple, hogleg?), and Pork Chop (a beautiful large yellow fruit with gold flecks). 

I don't think it is. Baker Creek(rareseeds) shows them as two different types. My source is Baker Creek packets from 2011. I gotta check out Pork Chop it sounds awesome.

hogleg, I saved seeds for Pork Chop and will gladly share. Neither it nor Hawaiian Pineapple were heavy producers, but I'll be growing them both again because I like their flavor. Both produce very large fruit.

This year I got Orange Russian, Stupice, Limbaugh's Legacy and Green Zebra from a friend here.  Adding those to Roma, Cherokee Purple, Lahman's Pink, Brandywine (Sudduth Strain),  Paul Robeson, Abraham Lincoln, HillBilly, Black Krim, Williams Striped and Yellow Pear.  

Burning Colon said:

new for this year: isis candy, black zebra cherry, black zebra, gardener's delight

Good choices!

I've tried a lot of different cherry tomatoes, and Isis Candy and Gardener's Delight are my two go-to cherries that I grow every year. GD is my idea of a perfect "classic" well balanced, delicious, and prolific cherry tomato, and IC really is like candy. Sooo sweet!

Other than those and a couple other must-haves I haven't given much thought to a tomato list yet. I'm still trying to decide what peppers I want to grow this year.

This year I'm growing carbon, sicillian saucer, radiator charlie's mortgage lifters, amish salad, gardener's delight, and speckled roman.

Back