• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

My new Chili

Hey fellas. Tonight's chili was a huge success, largely in part to the advice I got on using the guajillo chiles here on THP! So I'm posting my recipe here to share. Because I'm the only one in my house that eats spicy, I had to make it pretty mild. So be sure to add extra chiles to really crank it up!

IMG_20150114_212912_101.jpg

Makes 6+ servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 oz Guajillo Chiles
1 large white onion, chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 Lb sirloin tip steak, trim gristle, cut ~1-inch cubes
1 Lb stewing pork, trim gristle, cut ~1-inch cubes
1 Bay leaf
2 tbsp ground paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 cup chicken broth
2 large tomatoes, chunked
1 can of pinto, kidney, and red beans each
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 red chili peppers, diced
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 tsp Liquid Smoke
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt

Process:

Cut the ends off of chiles and then cut the chiles the long way. Remove seeds and veins, put them aside, and toast the chiles in a dry skillet on med-high heat until they begin to change color. Do not overcook or burn. Place in hot tap water and let soak for 30 min. Puree in blender with 1/4 cup of water, making a paste.
Separate the beans from the liquid, putting the liquid aside for later.

In a kettle, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add meat and brown. Add cumin, paprika, bay leaf, Liquid Smoke, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, liquid from the beans, chili paste, and vinegar, and stir. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for one hour stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, add the peppers, chili seeds and veins from earlier, beans, salt and pepper (to taste), and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool and remove the bay leaf. Serve with cornbread and a cold brew.
Hope you like it! And remember: Great today, better tomorrow!

Scoville DeVille said:
No pictures = 95% failure. Damm you!!!

I'm sure you remember when you joined, page 4, paragraph 7, lines 1-2, the "no pics didn't happen" rule?

Oops! Fixed!

Your rating just flipped... 95% success!

The only thing that would make it better would have been if it was in a bowl with a dozen burnt tortillas next to it.

But I ain't complaining. That chili looks friggen killer!!! Nice job bro! (I almost stabbed my screen with a spoon).

Scoville DeVille said:
Your rating just flipped... 95% success!

The only thing that would make it better would have been if it was in a bowl with a dozen burnt tortillas next to it.

But I ain't complaining. That chili looks friggen killer!!! Nice job bro! (I almost stabbed my screen with a spoon).
Oh man I know. I thinking about dirtying a bowl just for the picture but I didn't want to get yelled at. Thanks for the props!

Now, don't go gettin busted doin crazy sheeit there at home. I've put you through enough for one night lol.

But just remember next time!!!! :Rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Scoville DeVille said:
Now, don't go gettin busted doin crazy sheeit there at home. I've put you through enough for one night lol.

But just remember next time!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sure! Presentation is 40% of the meal! Homemade sushi night is proof of that. A future topic for sure.

Back