• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Salsa Verde Without Tomatillos?

If you can find Anehiem's, Poblano's, and Peños, blend them up, add garlic, Cumin, BP, and more salt than usual... Makes a better SV than WITH tomatillos. Trust.

6 Anehiem's
3 Poblano's (or not)
3-5 Jalapeños
1-2 can(s) diced green chiles
Maybe a dash of vinegar (red wine preferably)
And the spices above should be a good jumping off point.
Just remember salt or garlic Salt. The more the salt blends, the better. Sea salt would be good too.

Grow you're own tomatillos. They are really easy to grow but can get pretty tall. This year I am trying what's called a Pineapple ground cherry tomato. size of a cherry tomato but has the tomatillo husk and tastes just like a Pineapple. Going to use them to make salsa verdes with milder citrus peppers like Aji Pineapple, or bonda ma jacques

Thanks Scovie! Gonna have to alter that recipe b/c no anaheims over here -_- but at least I know it can be made without the tomatillos!

D3monic said:
Grow you're own tomatillos.

I have considered it, but spring is still a ways off. Need something to fill the gap until then! :-)

green tomatoes taste like ... well green tomatoes, missing that "tang"  dont try to sell green tomato salsa verde as tomatillo salsa verde.... it is what it is, green tomato salsa....  
is it close? , yes, is it tasty?  yes, but I  think of  tomatillos when discussing salsa verde

technically both are salsa verde.... aka green salsa 

so yes you can make salsa verde with green tomatoes, but i would differentiate ...

not much different than chili con carne vs chili, at some point the minute difference is negligible, but still relevant 

Interesting. I have never considered Tomatillos a "must" for SV. In fact, I have only used them a coulle times in it. To me, like chester said, "green salsa" is what it is. And I am almost positive the little old nuns down in Jalisco invented it at the end of the season with all the fruit that was still unripe. But what do I know, I believe in Mermaids.

Add Habaneros or Jonah 7's to a green purée of vegetables and you have Salsa Verde.

Oh. Vinegar and salt. BOOM!

Tomatillos have way more flesh and less water than green tomatoes. They also have starch. I'm going to say something that sounds crazy... but add some granny smith apples to your cook. This adds the starch and flesh needed to bulk it up, and also the slight tartness a tomatillo has (the tang as posted above). The apple will also sweeten but that's a good thing and you'll balance it out with the garlic and peppers.

Don't believe me try some LDHS Dia Del Perro, a verde sauce with apple sauce as a base. :)

you_big_dummy.png

Generally salsa verde is cooked. Tomatillos and garlic, not the best raw in salsa. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Tomatillos have way more flesh and less water than green tomatoes. They also have starch. I'm going to say something that sounds crazy... but add some granny smith apples to your cook. This adds the starch and flesh needed to bulk it up, and also the slight tartness a tomatillo has (the tang as posted above). The apple will also sweeten but that's a good thing and you'll balance it out with the garlic and peppers.

Don't believe me try some LDHS Dia Del Perro, a verde sauce with apple sauce as a base. :)

I use apple sauce as a base in most the hot sauces I make. 

Scoville DeVille said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faNqHcra7tY
Anyone that cooks their salsa should be observed 375 feet below the surface of the earth for a minimum of a lifetime.

So you are suggesting raw poblanos and anaheims? Okay. I like green peppers cooked in a pureed salsa. Roasted actually for best flavor. A raw green salsa does not sound that appetizing to me.

Back