• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination Question

This is my second year growing hot peppers and first year growing super hots. I’m trying to use the proper methods (as best I can).

To start I’m using a seed starter tray with a humidity dome with a tray heater. I have started them from seed in peat plugs with a root solution that was recommended from a local grow shop. (Seemed like the guy knew what he was talking about  J)

Peppers I’m growing are:

Chinese 5 color
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Jalapeno’s
Giant Carrot
7 Pot Brain Strain
Czech Black
(I have 5 plugs started of each)

I am currently building a shelf to house an LED array that I am building based off of juanitos design. All of my seeds have seemed to have sprouted or at least curl out of the plugs except for the Brain Strain and the Bhut Jolokia. Is this normal? Do the “Super Hots” usually take longer to germinate or have I done something wrong? Can I tell if those seeds are still viable or dead?

Thanks for any info in advance!

PS. Seeds have been in for almost 2 weeks now.

Yeah they say those Chinense can take up to 30 days. I've heard of some people who have taken longer. The longest I had was 20-21 days with no heat mat or humidity dome.

With a heat mat set at 90 degrees +/- I get most Chinense to sprout in about 2 weeks.
Some do take  longer.
If time is a problem,don't even think about some wilds. 
I don't toss out any seeds unless it is looking super nasty (using the zip lock/paper towel method.
I just had 3 C.Flexousum (SP?) sprout that I put in the zip in oct/nov. when I got through with Chemo.
They sprouted last week.
A lot were fuzzy with mold but the 3 seeds that sprouted weren't totally covered in fuzz yet.

Germination depends on temp. and moisture,AND IF the pepper gods cut you some slack. LOL

I've had seeds I gave up on sprout  (90%)when I gave up on them,sometimes a change in temp. or moisture sets them off.

I've had seeds I gave up on sprout after I took them off the heat mat (within a couple days) and seeds I started to let dry out/stopped watering also instantly sprout too.

Don't give up until the seeds turned to dust. :)

Your chances of the first seeds sprouting also might be due to the fact you might not have started a second batch.
A LOT of times I've given up on seeds and 2 days after I started a new batch,the first one went crazy,100% germination. Murphies Law.
You end up with 2X the starts you wanted for everything.
Can't murder plants so your garden is a lot bigger than you have room for...

Right on. Thanks guys! Patients then, got it.

I'll take the ones out of the humidity dome once they have the first leaves and put them in the lightbox I'm building and leave the rest to hang out till they sprout. 

My lady turned the oven on to preheat with my germ tray in it once. Melted all the plastic. Thought they were all goners. Cooked.

Nope. She moved them over to a new cell tray and within a couple days at least 50 percent sprouted!

I have great germination with  the paper towel method. Bhuts only took a week to germ in a paper towel, where as my other Jolokias took 3 weeks in potting soil under the same light as the ones in a paper towel. Try waiting it out but if all else fails go for the paper towel and ziploc bag.

Starting a new set insures you'll get 2X more sprouts.

That will force you to either grow a bigger garden OR give the extras away.
No such thing as too many peppers,just too little growing space.

If you toss out the extras the pepper gods will send you a lot of troubles.
You'll get 1 pod per diseased,bug infested plant. LOL

Don't forget,if you are trying to sprout seeds at room temps. you WILL have longer germination times.
Chinense wait until temps. favor the seeds.
I didn't see that you are using a heat source.
Right now,since I'm only sprouting a few seeds,My external hard drive is heating up my starts.
About 80 degrees.
Not worth using the heat mat.
Room temp. sucks for even Annuums in general.

smokemaster said:
Starting a new set insures you'll get 2X more sprouts.

That will force you to either grow a bigger garden OR give the extras away.
No such thing as too many peppers,just too little growing space.

If you toss out the extras the pepper gods will send you a lot of troubles.
You'll get 1 pod per diseased,bug infested plant. LOL

Don't forget,if you are trying to sprout seeds at room temps. you WILL have longer germination times.
Chinense wait until temps. favor the seeds.
I didn't see that you are using a heat source.
Right now,since I'm only sprouting a few seeds,My external hard drive is heating up my starts.
About 80 degrees.
Not worth using the heat mat.
Room temp. sucks for even Annuums in general.

I am using a heat mat right now for the seeds. New Hampshire is veeeerrry cold at the moment.  :)

I like your analogy of "No such thing as too many peppers,just too little growing space."

If I have too many I'll just give them away like you said. Good Karma from the pepper Gods.  :onfire: 

My rates..

1-2 weeks in potting soil in seed trays with no dome or heat

White Bhut
Carolina Reaper
"Chocolate Reaper"
Red Devils Tounge
Naga Viper
Red brain strain
Yellow brain strain
Peter peppers
Ot Hiem
Bulls heart