• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

A delicious snack with an interesting name: Atomic Buffalo Turds!

This is another recipe I found online on a site that found the recipe on another site.  I certainly wouldn't call them atomic...or buffalo...or turds for that matter...but that's the name they were given so they shall remain atomic buffalo turds.  Enjoy!  :party:

999148_10152201297942146_2104083424_n.jpg

12 fresh jalapeno peppers
12 slices of bacon
24 little smokies
1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Sweet barbecue rub

Wash the jalapeno peppers and chop the stem off and slice the pepper lengthwise to expose the seeds and vein.

Using a spoon, scrape out the white vein and rinse under water to wash away the seeds (unless you want some heat, of course).

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Using a butter knife, or a pastry bag, fill each jalapeno half with a generous portion of the cream cheese mixture.

Top each one of the jalapeno “boats” with a little smokey.

Wrap each of the smokey topped jalapenos with a half slice of bacon, making sure that the seam is directly on top of the little smokey. Secure the wrap by inserting a toothpick straight down through the overlapping edges of the bacon all the way through the little smokey. Stop just short of going through the pepper though, that way the cream cheese doesn’t leak out through the hole.

Season the buffalo turds with a sugar based rub. If you’re the do-it-yourself type, a nice blend of brown sugar and cayenne pepper works great on these bad boys as well.

Cooking the buffalo turds is a matter of getting the bacon done to your liking. My preference is smoke at 250 degrees for about an hour and a half. At this point the bacon isn’t overly crispy, but it’s definitely cooked enough to be bite through. If you prefer a crispier bacon, then I’d suggest kicking the temperature up to 300 degrees for about an hour. You’ll want to keep a close eye on the peppers though. If they overcook, then they’ll loose their stability and your turds will spill out all over your smoker.Once your buffalo turds are cooked to your liking, remove them from the grill to cool down a bit before serving. At this point I would typically top them with some warmed up Fischer & Wieser raspberry chipotle sauce

I would love eating those things, but my cardiologist would so kick my ass!

First time I had poppers they were named Mel's great balls of fire.

Mel used to cook them at the dock parties on a BBQ.
The grease caused a massive flame up.
Thus the name we gave his creations.

He did several things with them.

They all were cheese stuffed jalapeno wrapped in bacon.

But he added different things in the mix.

Sausage  (all kinds-Chorizo,summer,pork etc.) , shrimp , crab , lobster etc. to different ones,depending on what was in season or what tickled his taste buds at the time.

It had to be 15+  years ago easily,maybe closer to 20.
Mel died of Cancer several years ago.

I doubt you'll find his recipes online.

It was when sites used bulletin boards and sites as we know them now were just starting to be developed.
Early internet days.

Any recipes would be on very OLD Alcoast Sportfishing site.
Just after Mel died the hardrive crashed and all the history was lost.
He took it with him I guess...

Thanks for the post, will defiantly have to give these a try; mabye for the big game, it just seems like a football food.

Back