• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Want recipe sauces "taquera or mexicana"

I need a recipe for homemade salsa, that seem the taquera sauces Casa Fiesta or similar.

I tried many times to make my sauce, but never achieves match the taste of brands. I tried different recipes but none achieved the flavor.

Now it's tomato season. I have many crops and I would like to make a few bottles to store.

Hey cyresshill1973!  Wish it were tomato season here in Chicago my friend.  A basic recipe for salsa cruda that I use consists of 7 pounds tomatoes, 1 pound of onion, 1 pound of peppers and 4-8oz of garlic.  For peppers I use a combination jalapenos, poblanos and serranos, but you can use any pepper you like.  

To the above add salt, lime juice and fresh herbs of your choice - I like a couple bunches of cilantro and one of flat leaf parsley.  Run all the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and half the onion/half the peppers through a food processor to chop fine.  Then I small dice the other half of the onions and peppers to give the salsa some consistency.  Finish with salt and lime juice and break out the chips!  Note:  Thanks to THP forum member beerbreath81 - he posted the original recipe that I adapted to suit my tastes in this thread. :D

This recipe makes a lot of salsa, but I'm already out of the TWO batches I made with produce from the garden this summer.  The recipe freezes well too!  

Thanks for the recipe! I'm watching a half dozen or so Big Beef hanging green on the vine right now and that sounds like a perfect use for 'em assuming they ever get there.

I usually make a quick cooked red sauce that I puree in the blender. Nothing fancy. What exactly is "taqueria" sauce? Is that a thinner sauce? Is it still for dipping chips or serving over eggs? Or is it more for cooking with?

Same here, I live in far west Joliet (pretty much shorewood but not for some reason) we got a long ways till mater season. I'm just starting some Pineapple ground cherry tomatoes I got from a farmers market. They are the size of cherry tomatoes but have a husk just like tomatillos and taste exactly like pineapple.

Going to try and make a few sauces with them this summer using Aji omni colors, Limon and maybe the bonda ma jaques. Something medium heat and fruity. 

Correct.

And I believe he is after the red enchilada sauce. I think I've even seen him use it.

Here's one I made last Fall. Not bad; I'll make it again.

Red Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:

1-3 Jalapeno
½ Cup chopped Onion
3 Cups Chicken Broth
3 Tbl Chile Powder
½ tsp Cumin
1 tsp Sugar
½ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1 tsp Oregano
3 clov Garlic
2 Tbl White Vinegar

2 Tbl Butter
3 Tbl Flour

Directions

Blacken chiles on grill or cast iron skillet. Remove stems and optionally, remove seeds. Dice onion. Add chiles, ¼ onion, chicken broth, chile powder, cumin, sugar, cracked black pepper, oregano, garlic and white vinegar to blender. Blend to a fine consistency – 1-2 minutes.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir. Continue stirring and cook flour for 1-2 minutes – do not brown. Add approximately one cup blended mixture. Whisk until smooth and any lumps are removed. Whisk in remaining mixture and cook until desired thickness is reached – about 10-15 minutes.

My football salsa:
4 tomatoes
1 lg onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
juice of one lemon or lime
4 serranos or jalapenos
1/4 trinidad scorpion
salt to taste

chop everything up to your favorite texture and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Back