• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Minimum Temperatures Outdoors

So a few days ago I started three trays of seeds, two tomato, one pepper, in peat pellets on a perlite bed. The most robust tomato seeds are already poking up so I've started some lights going. No peppers peeking through yet but it's about 75F in the server room so I expect they'll take quite a bit longer than when I start them outside in the summer.

First question; with the tomatoes, I can put them outside during the day as long as the temperature doesn't go below 50 degrees F (ideally 55). What's a good minimum growing temperature for peppers? I've read 40 degrees up through 60 degrees -- ideally I'd like for them to get the benefit of nice sunny days, keep growing steadily, but not get stunted or die from the cold. But 55 seems kind of low.

Of course, now that I've asked it'll be 36 degrees and rainy all month long and jump straight to the 90s after that!  :rolleyes:

Edited to add, a lot of the temperature guidelines and recommendations seem to be for established plants. So I thought it was worth asking about seedlings in particular.

I was told to bring mine in if it gets under 55 by Wicked Mike. I know some people key their pods ripen down I to the forties but they aren't saving those plants.

To play it safe I bring mine in under 55.

I grow year around and never bring mine inside unless it is gonna stay below 32 degrees for more than 4 hours . Peppers are tough and the cold will kill all those nasty bugs . It has not been cold enough in my parts for over 3 years to bring them in . Dam U global warming  :confused:

Just wish there were more information out there for seedlings! On the plus side, if I goof, at least it'll only be a few weeks' of work down the tube.  :P  I guess I'll just treat 'em like the tomatoes and put them out if it's over 55F.

I had a tomato plant that was still putting out tomatoes in temps below 50F this year, it actually bounced back after I cut all my plants down, likely b/c I didn't pull the root ball and left a stump.

My point being that you have a bit of wiggle room as far as "recommended" temps. With peppers they really are more hardy than people give them credit for, and many can take temps down in the 40s.

One option if you are worried, is to use a cover over the seedling pots. Make a humidity dome of sorts to trap heat during the day. They don't grow like weeds, so a month in you should still be okay.

FWIW, I leave my 1 year old plants outside in anything above ~35.  I can't say they like it, but they are still alive and growing well enough.  They start to grow new leaves during our warm spells (near 70 lately), so I have no doubt they'll explode in mid March.

For young plants, 50F seems about the point where putting them out doesn't help.  (The extra light is offset by the cold.)
Soil temperature matters a lot; lean the pots south so the roots get some solar love.

Of course, if you were to make a small greenhouse....  :)
A beer cooler and saran wrap will do for small seedlings.  Just make sure they aren't getting too much sun or heat.

Hah, I'm thinking I'll just up-end a plastic tote over them? Maybe propped up on rocks or something for ventilation. It's cold today and tomorrow but will be 60 high, 40 low for pretty much the next week after that so if my potting stuff gets here soon I should be able to start moving them outside during the day.

My house has a south facing wall that's in full sun and brick so it radiates heat and keeps it a bit warmer; I still have tomatoes out on the vine I should probably pull but I'm hoping if they make it through tonight and get a full week of sun they might finally ripen up!

Hi I'm new around here only a few posts in <--- and pepper growing in general, I  am just looking at different thing around the forum getting my knowledge ready, I assume you are all talking about degree's in Fahrenheit? as I assume you use this in america and it seems most of this forum is in america, But here in the UK we use Celsius as standard, So am I right to convert these temps to Celsius?

FireMe said:
Hi I'm new around here only a few posts in <--- and pepper growing in general, I  am just looking at different thing around the forum getting my knowledge ready, I assume you are all talking about degree's in Fahrenheit? as I assume you use this in america and it seems most of this forum is in america, But here in the UK we use Celsius as standard, So am I right to convert these temps to Celsius?
Yes. 

Although there are quite a few members in Australia and England who use Celcius. So just pay attention to where someone is from, it will say under their avatar.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who uses a greenhouse top or hoophouse over their raised beds in the early days of their plants being outside.  Curious to know if they felt that it allowed them to get their plants in the ground sooner as I hear it helps raise/maintain soil temps/humidity? :think:  

Giving very serious thought to at least making a greenhouse top for my 8'X4' bed this year mainly as a preventative against late spring/early summer thunderstomrs.  Last year a big storm layed out half of my plants (and a couple sections of fence for that matter).  Only half of that half recoverd, some were snapped clean :banghead:  Losing plants is painful especially after all the hours spent laying on the floor with your head under flourescent lights watching them grow for months on end... :(

SpicyMon said:
I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who uses a greenhouse top or hoophouse over their raised beds in the early days of their plants being outside.  Curious to know if they felt that it allowed them to get their plants in the ground sooner as I hear it helps raise/maintain soil temps/humidity? :think:  

Giving very serious thought to at least making a greenhouse top for my 8'X4' bed this year mainly as a preventative against late spring/early summer thunderstomrs.  Last year a big storm layed out half of my plants (and a couple sections of fence for that matter).  Only half of that half recoverd, some were snapped clean :banghead:  Losing plants is painful especially after all the hours spent laying on the floor with your head under flourescent lights watching them grow for months on end... :(
I was also considering putting a thin clear plastic sheeting over the tops of my plants when I put them out. I won't fully enclose them because it gets hot here quickly, but I've been looking around for advice on this. I'd run it at a downward angle from my privacy fence about 2 feet above my tallest plants. Not sure if it would help or hurt

Up here in zone 6, Tomatoes I'll transplant by the end of May.

I transplant eggplant and peppers outdoors when the nighttime temps stay in the mid fifties usually mid June.   Overall it's definetly better to wait (if you have the patience!). The late transplants catch up to the early tranplants all the time.

Back