• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

PH testing

I'm going to can some hot sauce, but I know I have to check the PH of the product. At what point do I test? Is it at the start when all the ingredients are mixed, or after cooking?

Reactions: Tex
check out Making Hot Sauce 101-

You can check it at any point during the process to see where it's at and if the sauce needs more acidity.  The final and most critical is as JeffH said, right before bottling.  That's your LastChance to make corrections if needed.  

Not knowing what you are using for testing, if using a pH meter, be aware of the temperature (Fahrenheit/Celcius) range of the meter.  Some work with heated sauces, some only work with room-temp-ish samples.  Litmus papers work for a general range, but aren't that accurate if the sauce is in a marginal range.

Have Fun!  Post pics if you can~

And :welcome: to THP!
salsalady 

PS- if you are going to pressure can the sauce, pH is not important.  If the plan is to Boiling Water Bath in Mason Jars with metal lids or to use glass woozy bottle and plastic lids, then pH is of concern.

hope this helps~

Yes, thanks, that helps. I'm going to buy a tester from a hydroponic growing place, so I figure it's probably not set for heat. The cost is around $100. I bought one off Amazon, but it didn't work, paid $50. Any recommendations?

I will be using hot water canning, not pressure canning.

Pressure canning is when you hot water bath something under atmospherical pressure. This allows the temperature of the water to reach a higher degree. For example water boils at 212 f/ 100 c under atmospherical pressure it can go upwards of 240 f which is sufficient enough to kill botulism spores.

You want your pH under 4 most like to get under 3.6 though.

Here's a picture of a pressure canner.  They are a sealed kettle with pressure gage. Any pH is OK as the pressure will kill the Nasties.
pressure canner.jpg

Boiling water bath is putting the mason jars in a large kettle, cover with water and bring to a full rolling boil for a set amount of time (depends on what's being processed).

pH for anything in a boiling water bath should be below 4.0 minimum. under 3.6 is better.

Elcamino said:
Thx for your answers
The pressure canner sounds very interesting because you can use less vinegar. Am i right?
But I guess it`s much expensive...
you can find a pressure canner for as little as 70 $US. Granted it will not be that big.
salsalady said:
Here's a picture of a pressure canner.  They are a sealed kettle with pressure gage. Any pH is OK as the pressure will kill the Nasties.
attachicon.gif
pressure canner.jpg

Boiling water bath is putting the mason jars in a large kettle, cover with water and bring to a full rolling boil for a set amount of time (depends on what's being processed).

pH for anything in a boiling water bath should be below 4.0 minimum. under 3.6 is better.
SL how do you do your sauces? Pressure or inverted hold?

Invert/Hold-  All of my sauces have vinegar and/or citrus and the sauces go into hot sauce bottle with plastic lids.  The plastic can't be boiled or pressure canned. 

I do occassionally make some other chile products that go in glass jars with metal lids that get boiling water bathed.  It's a chile puree using AlabamaJack's recipe.  I'll post a link in a bit.

I just got a ph tester from amazon.  I tested my sauce after bottling and about a week after I made it. I've always made small batches and kept it in the fridge since I didn't have a clue about the ph.  All my sauce came out at less than 4.0

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Accuracy-Measurement-Resolution-Handheld/dp/B00FJFEB2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422429077&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+tester&pebp=1422429092651&peasin=B00FJFEB2O

The above link is the tester.  

I don't want to hijack the thread, but  :rolleyes:   How long is a 4.0 and under sauce good for in storage out of the fridge?

sirex said:
I think  I've seen that on your site before. You sell it in 2 oz cans right?
Yes, I had some for sale here on THP, didn't have it listed on the website except for in the Holiday Sale.
Here's AJ's original post-

Lugnutz said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but  :rolleyes:   How long is a 4.0 and under sauce good for in storage out of the fridge?

If the sauce is 4.0 or below and the sauce has been packed/sealed in bottle using the Hot Fill/Hold or in mason jars using boiling water bath processing, the sauce is considered shelf stable and can be kept unrefrigerated a couple years.  It should be refrigerated after opening.

Lugnutz said:
I just got a ph tester from amazon.  I tested my sauce after bottling and about a week after I made it. I've always made small batches and kept it in the fridge since I didn't have a clue about the ph.  All my sauce came out at less than 4.0

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Accuracy-Measurement-Resolution-Handheld/dp/B00FJFEB2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422429077&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+tester&pebp=1422429092651&peasin=B00FJFEB2O

The above link is the tester.  

I have the same tester.

Back