• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf curl

Hey guys. Some of my plants are starting to curl at the leaves. Not all of them though, just some. And I have two different cases I believe.

First case. These guys got left out and the nighttime temp got kinda low. Like 40ish. I think that these leaves could have been affected by that. It is the middle leaves.

7FKXT5O.jpg

Heres another look

aUmGmRm.jpg

And case number two. Thinking maybe too much fertilizer. I have them in miracle grow. The perlite has miracle grow in it as well. So for now I dont really add supplemental nutes. When I pot up I will be moving to a non nute fert.

3dXiq1n.jpg

Another shot

no1b6Rs.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Broad mite. Second plant deffo has 'em too and others look probably early stages (the bronzing of the very new growth gives it away).

It depends what route you want to take. For a more natural "safer" control sulfur is fairly effective but can throw your plants around a bit. Garden soap is another option. It is more gentle than sulfur but unfortunately less effective--at least in my experience with broad mite. Neem I've never had any success in controlling anything with (could be a quality issue, though?) and pyrethrum will do nothing against broad mite. In my personal experience, though, the most effective control I have found is the predator mite neoseiulus californicus.

I've never had the displeasure of encountering broad mites. I 'm surprised that Neem Oil didn't work... in my experience that is my 'go-to' option if all else fails. The only garden pests it doesn't eliminate are deer, mischievous children and my neighbor's damned cat. The kids are mostly tolerable, and hanging baskets are fairly cat-proof.I wish it worked on deer, though.

If it didn't work, i'd guess that it might not be the cold-pressed version of the oil, and therefore does not contain much azadiractin (active principle). I've never been clear why the hot-pressed oil is on the market, it seems to have no specified use, other than 'leaf-polish' for house plants.

This strays a bit off topic, but i'd be interested in any feedback on this...

Cold can produce similar symptoms to broad mites. If you've got a 60-100x magnifying glass, it's preferable to ID first.

mikeg said:
I've never had the displeasure of encountering broad mites. I 'm surprised that Neem Oil didn't work... in my experience that is my 'go-to' option if all else fails. The only garden pests it doesn't eliminate are deer, mischievous children and my neighbor's damned cat. The kids are mostly tolerable, and hanging baskets are fairly cat-proof.I wish it worked on deer, though.

If it didn't work, i'd guess that it might not be the cold-pressed version of the oil, and therefore does not contain much azadiractin (active principle). I've never been clear why the hot-pressed oil is on the market, it seems to have no specified use, other than 'leaf-polish' for house plants.

This strays a bit off topic, but i'd be interested in any feedback on this...

The leaf polish or "carrier oil" bit is to avoid costly pesticide regulations/testing, even cold pressed is labeled this way. SM90 is marketed in a similar manner.

Clarified hydrophobic neem oil is bunk, stripped of limonoids (used for Azasol, Azamax, etc) and less effective than other oils; canola, mineral, etc.

gasificada said:
Broad mite. Second plant deffo has 'em too and others look probably early stages (the bronzing of the very new growth gives it away).

yea i agree. i didnt look very closely at the second picture.

miguelovic said:
Cold can produce similar symptoms to broad mites. If you've got a 60-100x magnifying glass, it's preferable to ID first.

The leaf polish or "carrier oil" bit is to avoid costly pesticide regulations/testing, even cold pressed is labeled this way. SM90 is marketed in a similar manner.

Clarified hydrophobic neem oil is bunk, stripped of limonoids (used for Azasol, Azamax, etc) and less effective than other oils; canola, mineral, etc.

Glad you cleared that up! Usually, i've got my ducks lined up and my facts straight. Thanks for clarifying my misinformation... ok... total thread hijack, my bad... 'scuse me.

I've dealt with both and I would say yes and no. Sulfur, for example, works well against both, and I assume that the abamectin that queequeg mentioned would also work well against both without discrimination (I often read it recommended in mite control lit so no doubt it is effective--just not my thing is all). I'm pretty sure most treatments would... but then other things, like garden soap, I found it worked heaps well against spider mite but nowhere near as well against broad mite. But that could be an environment thing too. Broad mite thrive in humidity, spider mite thrive in the dry. It gets very humid here. No doubt I am going to have MUCH bigger problems with broad mite on my hands than with spider mite.......

sirex said:
Could one go about treating broad mites as they would treat spider mites?

with respect to chemical pesticides yea, probably. 
they are similar enough that they are vulnerable to the same classes of chemicals, however they vary in their life cycles, rate of reproduction, egg period,  adult stages... etc.

as such, the application rates and number of times might vary. 
you will need to read the label for what ever product you go with, unless you go with a non pesticide obviously.

Back