• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
no entiendo

Joking aside, I spent several months traveling all around Chile and loved the people and food. 

I would love to visit Chile. I spent a year in South America, mainly Peru. Brilliant part of the world.

I hope you can share some Chilean food  :party:

Tinnie said:

I would love to visit Chile. I spent a year in South America, mainly Peru. Brilliant part of the world.

I hope you can share some Chilean food  :party:
I was very lucky and traveled on a shore string...stayed with many awesome families and have amazing memories! I used so many Aji peppers in my cooking while there, local people thought I was mad....and they were right :) 

This weekend my friend held a pollada... which is a Peruvian chicken bbq that doubles as a fundraiser. They sell plates of food, soft drinks, beers, ect and as is the South American way they are quite generous with their portions.

On my plate here is my piece of chicken marinaded in Aji Panca Paste (Especial), Panca powder, garlic, vinegar, ajinomoto, s&p, oil and i think a couple of other things i cant remember. Also rice, salad, potato, salsa a la huancaina and home made chilli sauce.

2015-02-22%2013.27.30_zps302f0qcn.jpg

I love Peruvian!!!

JayT said:
Great idea for a thread.  One request though, for those of us that are not native Spanish speakers, when posting food, could we have translations please?

Dumbass, only thing in Spanish is a Nintendo joke!

Bahahaha! Read to the right it explains the dish and there is a pic below lol. Or potato stew for you my dear......

I was really just saying it as a request going forward.  I can actually read Spanish pretty well.  Some people can't.  Move along Pookie.

Back