• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

deleted

Plants,  Need.  Light.

How about a generic CFL bulb and clamp reflector?
Five bucks at the hardware store...
Reflector.jpg

Place directly overhead, about ~6 inches above the poor things....

Jamison said:
They def need more light.  But,  when you pot em up you can bury the stem all the way up to those cotyledons.
I read somewhere, probably on here, that even though peppers and tomatoes who are both members of the nightshade family. They do not all share the same properties of putting forth roots where contact with soil is made. by doing so with some varieties invites rot and decay of the stem below surface.

Etiolation... apply stronger lights.  You will need to find more space for them anyway. 

Just growing on the window sill is not likely to give you the results you want. 

i don't mean to be stupid my friend , but why start so many if your unable to at least hand a 2 bulb 2ft.  cfl fixture over them ?  you can make a very inexpensive stand out of p.v.c. for it . put it a small corner in a room maybe ? 

CAPCOM said:
I read somewhere, probably on here, that even though peppers and tomatoes who are both members of the nightshade family. They do not all share the same properties of putting forth roots where contact with soil is made. by doing so with some varieties invites rot and decay of the stem below surface.

Peppers definitely will grow adventitious roots. Although only up to a certain age. Once they start to lignify and develop bark, they lose that ability.

If you dont get more light to those plants they are going to stretch so much and bend over.One small CFL light above them will fix that and will take up the same amount of room as the bowl they are in.Your choice.

Tilley441 said:
I didn't expect them all to grow, I just put the in a jiffy pellet and left them
I didn't need lights last year and I am growing them the exact same way as before, it's just these ones seem long, the other ones that are in next to it are normal looking.

Are they mixed varieties or are they all the same? What about the other plate... a different variety? Mixed? Two different varieties and/or species, one on each plate, might explain that. Not all plants are equal in their needs, or others are just more desperate to get to the light or whatever. I don't know the science but I guess something like that anyway. Or maybe, simply, the other plate is getting just that little bit more light on it's side.......?

Well, if you insist on growing them in the window without supplementary lights, then one tip would be to place them in a south facing window (if you live in the northern hemisphere-----north facing window for folks in the southern hemisphere), as they will enjoy more time in the light as the sun arcs across the sky.  East and west facing windows are suboptimal.  And windows that face the direction opposite of the equator are definitely not recommended.

gasificada said:

Are they mixed varieties or are they all the same? What about the other plate... a different variety? Mixed? Two different varieties and/or species, one on each plate, might explain that. Not all plants are equal in their needs, or others are just more desperate to get to the light or whatever...

Desperate indeed.  It pains me to see the poor things struggling to grow.

If you don't feel at least a little empathy for a fellow living thing, you probably shouldn't be planting seeds in the first place.

This time of year your window is probably not getting enough intense light. I know some of my windows will get much more light in spring/ summer. You should seriously think about getting a 250 watt hps/mh light. It doesn't take up much room or get to hot. Mines is right on the side of my bed. The little warmth helps out in the winter too. Sadly, your seedlings are looking at deaths door. At least plant them outside "gorilla style"!

Geonerd said:
Desperate indeed.  It pains me to see the poor things struggling to grow.

If you don't feel at least a little empathy for a fellow living thing, you probably shouldn't be planting seeds in the first place.

Level 5 vegan? :lol:

But seriously, I always get the guilts when I mistreat my babies. Not larger plants... just the babies. Even thinning out pulls pretty hard at the old heart strings.... :crazy:

Back