• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Collecting Hot Sauce

Collecting Hot Sauce Poll

• Total voters

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Here's a little poll for you...

I don't understand the whole "collectors edition" sauces. Then again, I don't pay $100 for a bottle of sauce, either.

When I get a sauce, I eat it. Plain and simple. If you want to see my "display"... open up my fridge.

Now, I do save the bottles. However, that's because I make my own sauce and I use the empties for bottling my new experiments and recipe tweaks.

Hey DD, I'm like you. I respect all the hot sauce collectors out there, and it's great for the industry, but this stuff if for consuming. One day I may collect, who knows. I do have a signed bottle of E.Z. Earl's unconsumed! But it was a gift, I didn't buy it. So I'd have to say for now... sauce is for consuming! Though I have thought about displaying.

i'm a chef at heart. if you can't eat it, i probably dont need it.

though i might stick a collectors bottle on a shelf if it was a gift or something.

:lol: I kinda figured this poll would arise sooner or later.
THP - the last 2 choices are kinda the same or should be worded a little different.
the last choice makes it seem like you dont display the bottle ever & just throw them away, & the 2nd to last choice makes it seem like you dont consume the hot sauce since its not worded that way "I only collect or display empty hot sauce bottles" instead of "I only collect or display empty hot sauce bottles that I've consumed"
you all know my take on hot sauces, I buy hot sauces to eat! & save the empty bottles to display. I also wouldnt buy the "collectors" bottles unless a cheap fair price for it BUT I'd still eat the hot sauce in it so whats the point ? other than for the funky shaped bottle or neat label.

chilehunter said:
the last choice makes it seem like you dont display the bottle ever & just throw them away
Correct.

chilehunter said:
the 2nd to last choice makes it seem like you dont consume the hot sauce since its not worded that way "I only collect or display empty hot sauce bottles" instead of "I only collect or display empty hot sauce bottles that I've consumed"
Okay I fixed that, but really, who would do that? :lol:
PS. Your wording makes it sound like you eat the bottle, and I don't want to see that bottle displayed :lol:

I agree with you all, the sauces is to be used grilled, dipped, sipped, and shared with your friends with a few tips (brews if called for). I want to try it if I buy I wanna try

thehotpepper.com said:
Okay I fixed that, but really, who would do that? :lol:
PS. Your wording makes it sound like you eat the bottle, and I don't want to see that bottle displayed :lol:

:lol: I didnt catch that when I wrote it & I was never great at english grammar :lol:

Interesting results so far! It seems we are a forum that loves to eat the stuff and not stare at it... go figure :). No disrepect to collectors. It's definitley good for the industry, and I imagine it can be profitable. But if I had a collector's bottle on my shelf I'd be thinking "man that sauce needs to be on my plate!"

I voted #4 as some sauces like The NagaSav and the SBPR I'll keep the bottles since they are kinda special, but I only want sauces to eat. All other bottles like the ElYucateco and misc. stuff I boil 'em and reuse for my own creations.

I takes pictures though..they last longer... ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Interesting results so far! It seems we are a forum that loves to eat the stuff and not stare at it... go figure :). No disrepect to collectors. It's definitley good for the industry, and I imagine it can be profitable. But if I had a collector's bottle on my shelf I'd be thinking "man that sauce needs to be on my plate!"

I guess I'm the oddball. Hey, what else is new?

RingburnDave said:
It's like the people who buy toys and keep them in the original packaging.

TAKE THEM OUT AND PLAY WITH THEM heheh.

Not sure I agree with that. Many manufacturers come out with collectible bottles, which a lot of time and effort has been put into. To open these vessels basically destroys the coolness of the item. Not to mention there is quite a large market in collectible bottles, even if you don't always see them on Ebay. Hell, our first ZERO release (the Batch #1), which came out a few short years ago, is now going for over $500 in private auctions. I made my $25 when I sold it, but it's really cool to see this kind of thing happen.

I can't speak for everyone, but we put a TON of creativity into our ZERO collectibles, and kind of pride ourselves on being able to make everyone's "Shelf of Doom" look that much better. Virtually everyone collects something, so to call it stupid or juvenile, really isn't cool. Perhaps you collect baseball cards, to me, there just worthless pieces of thick stock paper.

DEFCON Creator said:
Not sure I agree with that. Many manufacturers come out with collectible bottles, which a lot of time and effort has been put into. To open these vessels basically destroys the coolness of the item. Not to mention there is quite a large market in collectible bottles, even if you don't always see them on Ebay. Hell, our first ZERO release (the Batch #1), which came out a few short years ago, is now going for over $500 in private auctions. I made my $25 when I sold it, but it's really cool to see this kind of thing happen.

I can't speak for everyone, but we put a TON of creativity into our ZERO collectibles, and kind of pride ourselves on being able to make everyone's "Shelf of Doom" look that much better. Virtually everyone collects something, so to call it stupid or juvenile, really isn't cool. Perhaps you collect baseball cards, to me, there just worthless pieces of thick stock paper.
Wait, wait, wait... at a sauce manufacturer you would like people to not eat your sauces? sure ZERO took a lot of effort and creativity, but the idea of sauces is eating them. if it's so great, wouldn't you like people to enjoy it?

"if it's so great, wouldn't you like people to enjoy it?"

We put out the 1/2 ounce non-collectors bottles as well. What's with the sarcasm?

Defcon is one who does put out tasters w/ the collector bottles..props there. Me, I just cant see staring at killer sauce I cant eat. Coins/stamps/panties..those are collectable.. ;)

My test bottle of NagaSav is one of liek 15 ever made, But, I'm eating it. as he'd want me to. :)

If I get the tester no-label bottle of Naga/Fatali Jerk Paste from Stillmanz...it's nto to have a collectors item..it's to enjoy the damn good sauce. Being one of the first to have it and bring it to YouTube immortality, is an honor enough.

I will save the bottles though as they my bros and it's a keepsake of sorts..

Folks don't send me sauce to look at....it's for experiencing. I respect the months of growing peppers, the hours of cooking and bottling, the minutes of pain it inflicts. :)

I am a chilehead..we eat hot stuff, we don't gaze at it.

-QS

DEFCON Creator said:
"if it's so great, wouldn't you like people to enjoy it?"

We put out the 1/2 ounce non-collectors bottles as well. What's with the sarcasm?
No sarcasm. it's a sauce. sure it has a nice bottle, but it's a sauce! saving the bottle and not eating the actual sauce is two different things.
You made a sauce. I would think you want people to eat it. :shocked:

Back