• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Nacho Cheese Sauce

My little store got a shipment (display) of Mrs. Renfro's Nacho sauces of various heat levels.

Of course, I had to try the Ghost Pepper jar.

Good effort, IMHO. The heat was there, though may be too intense for non chile-heads, the typical "sweaty gym shorts" smell/flavor typical of bhut's and naga's was almost non existant.
Ate 1/2 the jar with a bag of chips in one setting, and eyes, nose, mouth and ears were dripping.

The only offputting bit was the sweeness of the cheese.

Though Ghost Peppers were far down the list of ingredients---many other various peppers in higher quantity-- the heat of them is noticable.

A decent job for a mass produced product.

I like their Habanero salsa, better than the tomato-sauce style heat that is typical up here.

I'll definitely keep an eye out, failing that make up a batch at home :D

Or go pick up some "Free" cheese sauce from 7/11 at two in the morning.

FYI, never put "Free" on anything that requires a purchase. Drunken, stoned fools who found a bag of tortilla chips above the fridge are not going to take kindly to bait & hook marketing.

Great for jarred queso. Gets a little played out after the first few jars. I can't put my finger on it but it leaves a certain undesirable after taste. Maybe topping a hot dog with it was just a bad idea. :)

Scoville DeVille said:
I had it once. I took about eight bites and threw it in the garbage. Where it belongs.

You can make your own that's way better and WAY hotter for half the price.

The Ghost salsa isn't bad but I'm just not big on Pace style salsas.

VIVA LA QUESO FUNDITO!!! mi hombre.

Their salsa is good, but I am not liking the corporate trend of applying Ghost pepper to products for sales and not following through. I went to Taco Johns 2 months ago in the Kansas City area and they were advertising their "ghost pepper" wings. Of course I had to try.  Well, It was nothing near ghost pepper. Of course they dilute it down. Maybe use a minor extract, but cmon. Dont sell it as Ghost Pepper and provide Jalapeno.  

For when ya gotta get yer cheese on, and it's on the shelf in yer face...................

A bit sweet for me, as I mentioned, but they did a good job removing the flavor I hate in bhut's.

Got som SB7J ripe, might try some in velveeta.

I love all cheese without discrimination :D

I'll sit on the ground in front of the oven to watch a baked bried or camembert with roasted garlic and white wine just as soon as I will a piece of toast with American cheese, waiting for that pillowly bubble of goo.

Scoville DeVille said:
I had it once. I took about eight bites and threw it in the garbage. Where it belongs.

The Ghost salsa isn't bad but I'm just not big on Pace style salsas.
LOL, DeVille like the honest comment! , personally I liked the stuff but my wife did ask me why spend the $$ when I could make it myself with my lifetime supply of hot peppers. Now I'll have to start making my own too.

Scoville DeVille said:

i can never get nacho cheese right, from a jar / can always seems to be smoother... is there a secret?

Haven't yet found in my stores. But I definitely enjoy hot cheese and chips! I also consume a fair amount of Renfro's Ghost Salsa. It's decent but I find it a little bitter. I don't detect any similar bitterness in bhut jolokias.

For now, I'm stuck to hot-rodding Mission Faux-Cheese with powder and sauce. As Juanitos said, I'd love an easy recipe for smooth real queso.

juanitos said:

i can never get nacho cheese right, from a jar / can always seems to be smoother... is there a secret?

A fondue like sauce (very low heat, no thickening agents) from cheese and cream. A pinch of an emulsifier might do the trick.

or

bust out the Wizz :rofl:

I like their ghost salsa a lot, but to me the cheese tasted very "boxed"... ya know? Like it was made from the powder stuff in a Kraft Mac n Cheese box. Not a fan of the nacho cheese, but respectably hot, for sure!

juanitos said:

I will post pics next time I make queso dip but I start with shredding 2-3 cups cheddar and jack, toss 3 TBS AP flour in the shredded cheese to coat the shreds. add 3 TBS butter into a pan and get it melted. Slowly add 1-1/2 cup milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (better) and when that is all warm and almost boiling, S L O W L Y add the cheese and stir until it's melted before adding more. When it's all melted, add more milk for a thinner consistency if desired.

Any thing else you can add as well, but fresh veggies like onions and/or jalapeños, add at the melting butter stage to sauté them.
Powders like super-hots add with the flour to the shredded cheese.
Canned diced tomatoes, chorizo or thin sliced steak, add at the end just before serving.

Scoville DeVille said:

I will post pics next time I make queso dip but I start with shredding 2-3 cups cheddar and jack, toss 3 TBS AP flour in the shredded cheese to coat the shreds. add 3 TBS butter into a pan and get it melted. Slowly add 1-1/2 cup milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (better) and when that is all warm and almost boiling, S L O W L Y add the cheese and stir until it's melted before adding more. When it's all melted, add more milk for a thinner consistency if desired.

Any thing else you can add as well, but fresh veggies like onions and/or jalapeños, add at the melting butter stage to sauté them.
Canned diced tomatoes, chorizo or thin sliced steak, add at the end just before serving.
YESSSSSSS !!! This is a recipe worthy of gettin your cheese on. :dance: :dance: :dance:

only homemade salsa's for me !   but there is one i liked that i got on beale street in memphis  at the a. shwabs store .habenero in it . it was pretty good      :onfire:

Scoville DeVille said:

yum, Scoville Deville!!!  that sounds delicious!

I may be in the minority, but I thought this stuff was absolutely horrendous. It's just this industrial goo that tastes vaguely like ghost peppers to me. Heat definitely isn't there, though I might have gotten a weaker batch.

3/10 for me.

The Ghost Pepper salsa is passable, but I'm not the biggest fan of the smokiness. I know a lot of other people like it, but it's not for me. Probably 5/10 personally.

The Habanaro salsa they make is hands down my favorite. I am a big fan of the chunkier salsas and the flavor here is absolutely fantastic. Good heat (it's probably just as hot as the ghost pepper salsa as far as "up front" heat goes, just without the burn that follows). 8.5/10 for that product for me.

Back