• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pickled The Perfect Pizza Jalapeno Pepper (Pickled or Not)

I have a family friend who lives on the remote south Atlantic island of Saint Helena (St. Helena). Her son has a pizza business and is paying through the roof for jalapenos to be shipped from Cape Town via boat every couple of months. She has a rather large back garden/backyard and has the room to grow jalapenos for her son's business.

I am totally and utterly unfamiliar with jalapeno peppers. That is why I am asking you my friends to leave your opinion as to the best jalapeno to grow for pizza use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for your replies!

I like nacho slices on my pizza. the vinegar adds immensely to the flavor. And they keep rather well.

Are we talking Cape Town Africa?

Suprised they don't go with a more local pepper like piri piri or peppadew. I'd prefer fresh but I can see the appeal of pickled as well.

Yes, Cape Town South Africa.

There is a local pepper, a yellow upright which looks kinda like a Thai Dragon. I grew it a few years ago but I have also sent a ton of seed to her and she is growing and sharing all the types we talk about on here. There was no local piri piri pepper on St. Helena.

Still looking for ideas about jalapenos!

the problem is going to be, what to do in the off season. This is why I suggested pickled slices.

But if she is determined to use fresh I would grow several types and see what works best for taste, yield and heat.

Burpee's Biker Billy is a damn good jalapeno hybrid, but might be too spicy for most folks unless they are pickled. It seems like the bigger varieties like Mucho Nacho and the NuMex Jalamundo are pretty mild heat-wise. Or just the regular Jalapeno M would work, although their heat level can be pretty variable.

If you have the time and inclination, have someone in Méjico get a landrace variety from the markets. Have them send seed or the whole chile.

What's available on the web are hybrids and, for the most part, pretty bland and uninteresting.

willard3 said:
If you have the time and inclination, have someone in Méjico get a landrace variety from the markets. Have them send seed or the whole chile.

What's available on the web are hybrids and, for the most part, pretty bland and uninteresting.
I thought of suggesting that in as much as taste and size is the concern, but I found them thus far to be slow in production. Could be because last year was a really lousy year for peppers in general.

CAPCOM: I agree that she will probably have to picked them but St. Helena's temperature doesn't vary much so she should be able to grow year round.

http://sthelenatourism.com/the-island/climate/

Thanks for the suggestions. With regards to the hybrids like the Biker Billy, is this something that will be a problem if she is harvesting seeds season after season after season or am I going to have to continiously send her fresh seed?

If she goes with a hybrid that is stable, she could probably save seeds for a season or two until it reverts back to one of its parents. If saving seed is one of her goals, an heirloom landrace from Méjico would be better, as Willard suggested.

saugapepper said:
Thanks for the suggestions. With regards to the hybrids like the Biker Billy, is this something that will be a problem if she is harvesting seeds season after season after season or am I going to have to continiously send her fresh seed?

I don't mind sending her seeds every year to be honest, I sent a few parcels to her every year anyway. More for her info that's all that she shouldn't take the time to save the seed. Now to see if I can find some Biker Billy's... haven't had luck here in Canada over the past two years. Not in Home Depot here for some reason... all they carry is "Early Jalapeno".

saugapepper said:
I don't mind sending her seeds every year to be honest, I sent a few parcels to her every year anyway. More for her info that's all that she shouldn't take the time to save the seed. Now to see if I can find some Biker Billy's... haven't had luck here in Canada over the past two years. Not in Home Depot here for some reason... all they carry is "Early Jalapeno".

Burpee sells the Biker Billy's in the Home Depot here. You might want to try another Home Deopot. Early Jalapenos are a good too, and they are not a hybrid. They are much smaller.

D3monic said:
Suprised they don't go with a more local pepper like piri piri or peppadew. I'd prefer fresh but I can see the appeal of pickled as well.

Because neither taste like a jalapeno. When you know what you want, you know what you want. Jalapeno is sought the world over. Just look how popular it is here in the US.

Dulac: I have tried several Home Depots in the Toronto area and even asked my parents who live 4 hours north to check in their Home Depot. Nothing but "Early Jalapeno" here in Canuckland.

PM me your address. I'll send you some xalapa seeds. If you are curious about what I am talking about, see pic below.

Attachments

• 20140331_011145.jpg
    20140331_011145.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
Back