• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

When I was a NOOB, I thought...

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone just starting out, we've all been there. But you may find this as entertaining as it may be informative.
We all have either through misinformation or our own ignorance made assumptions or bad decisions based on our being a NOOB. Or we just plain thought wrong. So what do you remember you thought or did that has been corrected since coming here or stepping out of the box.

I thought all the hot peppers in the world could be counted on both hands with the habanero in the #10 spot,

Just a few months ago I thought growing indoors would be way out of my range in both price and difficulty
Also had no idea the amount of hots and super hots out there.
I'm definitely still a noob, so ill probably be adding to this again at some point down the road

When I was a noob I thought what the hell is wrong with this pepper plant my friend gave me (Manzano)? "I treat you like all the other pepper plants, I give you what all the other pepper plants like, and yet you mock me with your yellow leaves. What gives (Manzano)?" Learned from THP long before I was a member that Mr. Manzano wasn't diggin' on 10hours of sun in well over 90 degree temps. :rofl:

Grown lots of things before peppers, but still a noob on a lot of pepper specifics. Only been at this for a year. I over watered mine last year assuming they like water as much as any other plant. Twice a day for 10 mins a day on the drip lines. May have stunted them a little but they certainly didn't suffer or show signs of suffering other than rabbits and critters messing with them. Last year was the year of rabbits and Voles. I'm going to get them little bastards this year. 

hogleg said:
When I was a noob I thought what the hell is wrong with this pepper plant my friend gave me (Manzano)? "I treat you like all the other pepper plants, I give you what all the other pepper plants like, and yet you mock me with your yellow leaves. What gives (Manzano)?" Learned from THP long before I was a member that Mr. Manzano wasn't diggin' on 10hours of sun in well over 90 degree temps. :rofl:
OUCH!

I also made the mistake that probably no body else does and watered my plants every day.
D3monic said:
Grown lots of things before peppers, but still a noob on a lot of pepper specifics. Only been at this for a year. I over watered mine last year assuming they like water as much as any other plant. Twice a day for 10 mins a day on the drip lines. May have stunted them a little but they certainly didn't suffer or show signs of suffering other than rabbits and critters messing with them. Last year was the year of rabbits and Voles. I'm going to get them little bastards this year. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb11Tz3xVKY

CAPCOM said:

Was totally me last summer. camping in the back yard with the bb gun. Caught one eating the wifes newly planted flowers out front. grabbed the bb gun and jumped out on the front porch in my boxers and popped a shot at it... then I noticed the neighbors where all in their garage drinking across the street. Pretty sure i'm labeled the neighborhood nut now. 

Though I live in California I thought I needed a grow box. I used a large plastic storage box and lined it with foil. I then suspended a grow light threw the lid. Into this went several, highly valued, new seedlings. Within 24 hours I had "easy baked" my seedlings into oblivion.

10003228_10201680809610598_769349718_n_zpsfa8ac12e.jpg

10151903_10201680807970557_890983618_n_zps89522ebd.jpg

10170774_10201681174539721_423075762_n_zps04bfb35c.jpg

10155283_10201681174979732_1729018735_n_zpsab1e4af6.jpg

Side note:

I can now use my "grow box" to make tasty cupcakes that I eat in my fort I built with a sheet and pillows from the couch. LOL

Rymerpt said:
Though I live in California I thought I needed a grow box. I used a large plastic storage box and lined it with foil. I then suspended a grow light threw the lid. Into this went several, highly valued, new seedlings. Within 24 hours I had "easy baked" my seedlings into oblivion.

10155283_10201681174979732_1729018735_n_zpsab1e4af6.jpg

Side note:

I can now use my "grow box" to make tasty cupcakes that I eat in my fort I built with a sheet and pillows from the couch. LOL

"Its burning baby! I have burning baby all over me." (in my best Cheech voice)

Rymerpt said:

10003228_10201680809610598_769349718_n_zpsfa8ac12e.jpg

10151903_10201680807970557_890983618_n_zps89522ebd.jpg
Whoa! I bet. :)

Rymerpt - Yep, that there is a bonafide homemade 'Easy Bake Oven'! I totally dig it! Reminds me when I was 13 and 'tried' to grow a single pot seed in an aquarium with a black light in my closet, all while covered up with clothes so mom didn't know. I then discovered the all present windowsill --> transplant outdoors.

I used to think Habaneros were the hottest peppers (read: was scared of them!). All I knew of were Jalapeno, Serrano, and  Cayenne's. Any others I might have seen I thought were some type of 'variations' of the above! lol..

Then there is the planting of the seeds, 'gently' digging them up later to see if they have germinated yet..---- surely others have done that before, right!?!?! :rolleyes:

When I was a pepper noob I bought my transplants from big box stores.  I had some Jalapeno's that were surprisingly
very productive.  All of them corked.  I thought, "What's all these lines on my Jalapeno's.  The one's in the store are not
like this". "Something must be wrong with these".  So what did I do.  I threw every one of them away.  Didn't know at the time it was a desired trait.

Alchymystic said:
Rymerpt - Yep, that there is a bonafide homemade 'Easy Bake Oven'! I totally dig it! Reminds me when I was 13 and 'tried' to grow a single pot seed in an aquarium with a black light in my closet, all while covered up with clothes so mom didn't know. I then discovered the all present windowsill --> transplant outdoors.

I used to think Habaneros were the hottest peppers (read: was scared of them!). All I knew of were Jalapeno, Serrano, and  Cayenne's. Any others I might have seen I thought were some type of 'variations' of the above! lol..

Then there is the planting of the seeds, 'gently' digging them up later to see if they have germinated yet..---- surely others have done that before, right!?!?! :rolleyes:

Lol my brother used to toss his seeds out the bedroom window, I was riding my bike down the alley and spotted a ton of plants about 4' tall growing out the gutters. Don't know how the piggies missed it.

When I was 15 I grew weed in my closet with just a speaker box filled with dirt and a cheap florescent light over them. Dug the dirt out the back yard... talk about cricket galore. 

hogleg said:
You brought crickets in your house?  :rofl: Not much will drive a grown man more insane than one cricket in the house. 
Crickets are awesome. just like roaring thunderstorms, they are music to sleep to.

I miss hearing my frog collecting calling in the house. They was some the smallest of thumbnail dart frogs so it wasn't overly loud or obnoxious. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0nKs4wh78

D3monic said:
I miss hearing my frog collecting calling in the house. They was some the smallest of thumbnail dart frogs so it wasn't overly loud or obnoxious. 
Yeah, that's cool too.

I am a noob, and glad for all of the tips and advice I find here! I had no idea you could keep a pepper plant indoors all winter. I saw some beautiful pictures of an indoor pepper plant here.

I am still making one NOOB mistake. Ahh, maybe its just laziness.
When de-seeding pods, I dont always have a pen available so I throw the seeds in the envelope and dont mark it till later when I dont really remember which pepper seed is in it.  THAT is probably where all of my pimenta de neyde seeds went from last year.

Back