• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Solo Cups

I am about to transfer plants into larger cups. Is there a benefit one way or another to plant in any one of the following? Assume they are all the same size.

1. Red Solo Cup
2. Clear Solo Cup
3. A Jiffy Pot (Or something similar that I can get at Lowes.)

clear lets light through which can damage roots on the edges ... so no clear!

color solo cup can be re-used a few seasons, you have to punch a couple holes in the bottom yourself

black nursery pots same as solo cups excepting already pre-holed

Jiffy biodegradable pots... are biodegradable but don't work too great imo.

I've never had any luck with the Jiffy pots personally. I've read that the clear cups are bad because the roots won't grow as well due to light penetrating the cup.

Solo cups do work, and I used them for my first couple seasons, but they are a PITA if you have more than a few plants IMO. They are top heavy and tippy. They want to tip over when bottom watering so you pretty much have to water them one by one, and they don't fit well in standard 10x20 trays so you pretty much have to move them around one by one too.

I think it's worth every penny to buy 18-cell trays instead. You can get deep ones too that hold roughly the same volume as a solo cup.

I definitely believe the clear cups messing up your growth thing. Tried them this year and I'll just say the plants that are in Styrofoam cups look 100x healthier and happier. Will be transplanting to nursery pots soon. 

muskymojo said:
Solo cups do work, and I used them for my first couple seasons, but they are a PITA if you have more than a few plants IMO. They are top heavy and tippy. They want to tip over when bottom watering so you pretty much have to water them one by one, and they don't fit well in standard 10x20 trays so you pretty much have to move them around one by one too.

I think it's worth every penny to buy 18-cell trays instead. You can get deep ones too that hold roughly the same volume as a solo cup.

I have used clear plastic solo cups and agree with this.  They do tend to be tippy, have to be cautious when watering.  The 18 cell trays with seedling cups are approx $4  depending upon the size of your grow they are worth it, you get a tray, lid, and 18 cups that fit perfect in tray and can be reused the following season. 

Same as everyone said but I will add don't get the great value brand. they are really thin and flimsy. I had one full of water and it crushed in my hand just trying to pick it up. They also tip easily. use the actual SOLO brand ones. 

I'd put the small square pots a notch above solo cups as they are square, Less prone to tipping and utilize space better in the beginning because they can go side by side nicely where solo cups leave lots of open space between cups.

Also if you have something like this, it makes it to where you can pick them  all up and move them with zero risk of them moving around. ( I wish I had these)

Only thing clear cups are good for is if you double stack them on a normal solo cup for bottom watering. that way you can see how much water is in there. 

I use red solo cups doubled up. One with holes one without. I pull the main cup out to water and drain, then place back into the non-hole cup as not to get water all over the shelf. I also know the feel of the wait I like after watering so I can drain off any excess. 

What size square pot holds the same/similar amount of a solo cup?  I hate that the solos since they don't fit well in a 1020 tray and like someone else said they tip over too easily.

I had some aquarium gravel from years ago that I'm now using in the bottom of my solo cups. Gives it weight at the bottom and also helps with drainage. Might be something to look into.

Never thought of that, I got plenty of hydroton laying around I could use for the same thing. Though I guess that doesn't weight much by intent. 

parker49 said:
What size square pot holds the same/similar amount of a solo cup?  I hate that the solos since they don't fit well in a 1020 tray and like someone else said they tip over too easily.
3.5 in pots
you can get p86D (3.5 inch deep) on growersolution for more volume(43cuin instead of 32).

XGWjoSL.png

parker49 said:

I wanna say 4x4 I'd have to go measure the ones I got downstairs. 

juanitos said:
3.5 in pots
you can get p86D (3.5 inch deep) on growersolution for more volume(43cuin instead of 32).

XGWjoSL.png
Very helpful, thanks as always.

D3monic said:

I wanna say 4x4 I'd have to go measure the ones I got downstairs. 
How many can you fit into a 1020 tray?

Sorry op didn't mean to thread hijack here.

The majority of ones I've got are "Myers Industry" brand and measure 3" square around the top. I picked them up at the local nursery when veggies were $1 a plant in the Spring. Have a few nursery trays I got the same way, buying flats of inexpensive annuals. None match though. I can cram 20 of them on a half sheet metal baking pan.

Next year I'm going for real 4" pots that match in a nice tray holder with a tray underneath. I did the solo cups the last couple of years and I always fail somehow with them. Not enough holes, holes poked the wrong way, holes too small, medium too light. And I loathe poking the holes. And I like the way the "real" pots have two levels of holes, one flush with the bottom tray, the other elevated slightly, so water can go underneath.

parker49 said:
Yeah i just did the math and figured it out. I think i will order some of those, i looked it up on growers solution and not too bad, and to not have to mess around with the solo cups is great. Do you think it is worth it to get the p86d?  
duno i wanted to get them to try em out atleast, i wondered if they are taller if they will fall over easier just like the solo cups...
i'm just using the normals ones this year.

ps grower solution prices are a little better on ebay (free shipping)

Back