• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long do you worry about damping off?

I haven't had a problem with damp off so far, but I was curious how long you have to worry about it? Usuall safe after 1-2 true leaf sets?

Damping off is just crown rot that occurs on seedlings, and crown rot can affect plants off all ages. It's just more prevalent on seedlings because their soil is usually kept wetter until they establish a root system. Once a plant gets old and strong enough to tolerate drier soil, the risk of damping off is generally greatly reduced. 
     Good luck!

I stopped worrying when they grew a set of true leaves, but I think I may have kept the soil too dry as I had many that dried up and died. It's a fine line between desert and swamp, especially with very young seedlings

Suezotiger said:
I stopped worrying when they grew a set of true leaves, but I think I may have kept the soil too dry as I had many that dried up and died. It's a fine line between desert and swamp, especially with very young seedlings

When you plant them quite deep (almost up to the leaves) and use enough soil it gets a lot easier to balance.

Back