• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Too much hassle to bother with foods

Dilyida said:
What foods do you refuse to cook because they are too much trouble?

Wait. What?

I don't make Paella or Molé for breakfast.

2 quick eggs... BOOM out the door.

But I sure as shit make nice meals every chance I get.

Is that what you (don't) mean?

filmost said:
Absolutely nothing. I have to cook everything I want to eat b/c there's no other way to get it or it is cost prohibitive here in J-land.

Me too Filmost.

For me, to buy a decent burger is a 40 mile drive over a 4,500 foot pass.

GREAT Italian, Thai or even Mexican is in Seattle. 4+ hours away.

filmost said:
Absolutely nothing. I have to cook everything I want to eat b/c there's no other way to get it or it is cost prohibitive here in J-land.
lol pretty much the same for me...but in the boondocks norcal.

Lutefisk. I have a feeling if I start buying NaOH in the quantities needed to keep up with my lutefisk consumption, my name is gonna end up on some kinda list.

Dilyida said:
What foods do you refuse to cook because they are too much trouble?

What kind of question is that?

If I want it, then its no trouble at all.

There's nothing I can't cook.

Only sheeit that I won't eat.

This for me.

Another Plague-water.

Take Rue, Agrimony, Wormwood, Celandine, Sage, Balm, Mugwort, Dragons, Pimpernel, Marigold, Fetherfew, Burnet, Sorrel, and Elecampane-roots scraped and sliced small, Scabious, Wood-betony, brown May-weed, Mints, Avence, Tormentil, Carduus Benedictus, and Rosemary as much as any thing else, and Angelica if you will. You must have like weight of all them, except Rosemary aforesaid, which you must have twice as much of as of any of the rest; then mingle them all together and shred them very small; then steep them in the best White-wine you can get three days and three nights, stirring them once or twice a day, putting no more Wine then will cover the herbs well; then still it in a common still, and take not too much of the first water, and but a little of the second, according as you feel the strength, else it will be sour. There must be but half to much Elecampane as of the rest.

Things I don't like to cook cause time/effort:

tamales

stuffed cabbage

perogi

dolmades

basically anything stuffed without a good amount of hands to make the work easy.  Is what I'd say.

I'd get scabby knees for someone to make me a good Runza .. haven't had one in years and when I could I never ordered them

Probably the worst thing I ever tried to cook, that was a lot of time and effort was eggplant Parmesan. Was an epic fail. I normally wouldn't have made/eaten it anyway, but was trying to surprise my wife with a meatless entree, since she's vegetarian. She couldn't eat it either, or very much of it anyway.

Every (main) meal I seem to cook these days always ends up taking way longer than it should, including way too many ingredients and being far too much for my family to eat.

I love every minute of it!!  :party:

SR.

Ragù del portinaio = O rraú d''o guardaporta (neapolitan stuff ™)
It takes... I don't know, the more the better. Legend says that only doormen had enough time to stir for... 6 hours? 8?
Also filet is needed so it's also expensive (and that blocks me even more).
But i really want to cook it sooner or, more likely, later...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Lutefisk. I have a feeling if I start buying NaOH in the quantities needed to keep up with my lutefisk consumption, my name is gonna end up on some kinda list.
Wow. You actually eat a lot of it? I thought it was kept around as a tradition and nobody actually enjoyed eating it...lol. I'll eat just about anything, but I can't do lutefisk.

muskymojo said:
Wow. You actually eat a lot of it? I thought it was kept around as a tradition and nobody actually enjoyed eating it...lol. I'll eat just about anything, but I can't do lutefisk.

Lol. No, not much actually. I do really like it, though. It started out as just something I had to eat at Lutheran church fundraiser dinners to make my dad and grandparents happy. (Very Norwegian…) I used to try to hide it under a piece of lefse. But that never worked because I always ate the lefse. But nowadays, I just crave it once in a while. 
     That reminds me, though. Add lefse to the list of foods I love but don't make. I really should learn some day. It's a dying art.

To me, the cooking of a great meal is more fun than the eating it, or at least as much.  I can't think of a single meal that I wouldn't make because it is too much work.

Thanksgiving dinner is probably the most time consuming, but I wouldn't consider not making it, as nothing is better than a day of food and family.

Back