• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What is the longest you waited for a seed to germinate?

I know these hot peppers can take a long time some of the time. I'm just wondering what was the longest time you ever waited for a seed to pop up and could you tell me if that slow seed amounted into anything worthwhile?

Last year I think a Georgia Flame might have taken almost 2 months. It really never turned into a pod bearing plant since I live in Pennsyltucky and the frost came and killed it.

So if it's not up in about 3 weeks I should replant a seed or 2?

Thanks all.

What's your germ method? I Personally would only wait about 2 weeks max. But I'm pretty impatient. Most of my seeds have germinated in a week, I have half in moist paper towels or coffee filters in Ziploc on heat mat, other half in starter mix on heat pad

i had seeds germinate at 3 weeks. most germinate in my 10 day germinate period. but, if i got a seed that i am low in(3 or less) i'll let it go and see what happens! usually it will sprout if you r patient.....

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
i had seeds germinate at 3 weeks. most germinate in my 10 day germinate period. but, if i got a seed that i am low in(3 or less) i'll let it go and see what happens! usually it will sprout if you r patient.....
superhots may take longer......wait and u might get unsprouted seeds to sprout eventually....

had some stragglers and they never amounted to much ,  usually the ones that pop up around the same time generally .    :onfire:

sorry , but to answer your main question 24 days 

I did my first planting on the 15th and the only ones that haven't sprouted yet are my 7pot yellows. They got till the others second sets of leaves come in before I replant. 

I recently had a couple seeds surprise me and pop up after waiting over 2 months for them to germinate. I had lost hope. They aren't big enough to be producing pods yet but once they germinated, grew as fast as the rest of my peppers. I had already replanted them at that point so now have a few extras kicking around.

I give them 2 weeks before I start more. I let them go until 3 weeks before I completely five up on them. As you said, waiting too long will not give your plant time to produce. So better to replant earlier just in case.

twilliams386 said:
What's your germ method? I Personally would only wait about 2 weeks max. But I'm pretty impatient. Most of my seeds have germinated in a week, I have half in moist paper towels or coffee filters in Ziploc on heat mat, other half in starter mix on heat pad
I still need to plant this years peppers.  I probably put them in the 98 cell flats with moisture, heat and a humidity dome.
Thank you everyone for your answers.

I have some that have been germinating a month, but most of mine pop in a week, I just can't get myself to throw away ones that still have hope for sprouting

I seem to have trouble with Bhuts. They alwas pout for a few weeks, but usually get 80%, even with old seeds. You never know though. I have had Rocotos pop up in just a few days, while other people say they take a long time. That's just the nature of growing, never expect that you know it all or that it will be the same every time.

Six days. My white bhuts and CGN's have sprouted. The other 8 or 9 don't even look to have started yet (7 Pots etc)

I usually give up after 3 weeks and start over or fuggedaboutdem
Now people are saying a few months. I'll just let all mine go and whatever sprouts, sprouts

millworkman said:
I have had up to 27 weeks.  Most will get a good 10 weeks just to be sure, but I do grow a lot of hard to germ types.
Wow that is long.  The dedication to keep watching them must have been intense.  Not forgetting about keep them moist and even just remembering that they are still there while all your other plants were all producing.

I have some Aji Limon and Lemon Hab seeds I sowed Dec 28. Now that everything else in the tray has popped and another week has passed I have finally gave. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Ozzy2001 said:
I have some Aji Limon and Lemon Hab seeds I sowed Dec 28. Now that everything else in the tray has popped and another week has passed I have finally gave. Ain't nobody got time for dat!
My lemon Hab took 25 days to sprout last year, I wouldn't give up on it yet.

I just had my TS Orange sprout after 26 days, I was going to give up on it at day 28!

From now on, I'll wait a couple of months before giving up.

I'd say wait a good 3 weeks max. Normally i plant a few seeds of every kind i want, that way you don't have to aim for 100% germination rate, if you plant double what you want you can always give away the extra's, never hurts to get some of your friends into growing peppers...

Back