dehydrators Food Dehydrators: Do you use them and are they worth the expense?

I'm really trying to be mindful of wasted food in our home, and have gotten to the point I cannot abide tossing unused items. Unfortunately, out lifestyle means dinner doesn't always get cooked as planned. So, I'm thinking of investing in a food dehydrator to give me those extra days I sometimes need to get to use meat and vagetable. I can also make snack by dehydrating fruit.
I'd love to hear from Hounders that use them, love them, and hate them. ;-)
Your perspective on these things is always so helpful!

Most here use dehydrators as they can dry and powder their peppers. Dehydrators are pretty cheap and worth the investment IMO. 

Yes to both of your questions. Great for drying peppers, fruits, herbs, etc. They are also great if you want to make jerky.

yes I use my dehydrator and mostly for chiles or if there's a fruit in season that I need to save. 

For everyday use, perhaps a FoodSaver Vacuum Packer would be better.  Vac-seal food for a few days or couple months.  It can be used for everything from cheese to meats to dry goods.  Also get some of those Veggie-Fresh produce bags!!! They really do work wonders for fresh produce.  GLAD brand has some for a couple bucks at most grocery stores. 

Kudos to you for making the effort to not waste food. 

Yup. Came to the right place. :lol:

Bought 2 days ago a Gorenje dehydrator, 35euros. Never used before, and now we are in the middle of winter, I have to wait till my first peppers...
But the idea is, I am on the positive side, of those who think a dehydrator is useful. (did you notice I say "positive side" ?).

D3monic said:
These are the ones I have with no complaints with a $100 budget you would be able to get both. 

Dehydrator

Vac Sealer 

I use the Vac Sealer more than my dehydrator and it was worth every penny. 
Your recommendation is really nice. Inexpensive but can last for a long time. I would like to have a try.
How do you think about this one? It has 6 trays and thermostat so it is much expensive.
http://bit.ly/1fZTx0s

I love my $69 nesco.  Couldn't do without it now after 2 seasons.  Really handy.  Have thought about the food saver for years, but I don't care for having to buy only their bags over and over again - it's a racket like the $30 HP printer and $29 ink imo.  Nothing against those who like it - my brother LUVS his!  Freezer + dehydrator works for me.  

This is the one I bought, and so far it's been great. I got it at Home Depot, but I think you can find them anywhere.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Presto-Dehydro-Electric-Food-Dehydrator-06300/203756442  Home Depot has a good price on it.

My wife bought me a Foodsaver sealer last summer and I like it. I use the jar sealer attachment often to vac-seal mason jars that contain dehydrated pods, powders, leftover hot sauces, etc... The bags are overly expensive in my opinion. I never buy the Foodsaver brand, but I've found some knock-off rolls on Amazon that are a lot cheaper and have worked well.

Peter S said:
This is the one I bought, and so far it's been great. I got it at Home Depot, but I think you can find them anywhere.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Presto-Dehydro-Electric-Food-Dehydrator-06300/203756442  Home Depot has a good price on it.

My wife bought me a Foodsaver sealer last summer and I like it. I use the jar sealer attachment often to vac-seal mason jars that contain dehydrated pods, powders, leftover hot sauces, etc... The bags are overly expensive in my opinion. I never buy the Foodsaver brand, but I've found some knock-off rolls on Amazon that are a lot cheaper and have worked well.
i got the same dehydrator as you. it's worked fine for one year so far

Back