• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Scorpion Venom Honeydew Hot Sauce

This is the recipe for my homemade hot sauce called Scorpion Venom. It is a fruit based concoction using fresh honeydew melon and lime with Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers for heat. This sauce is quite HOT! Chapped lips and fever blisters may cause some discomfort and or perspiring! 

Makes 1 quart
8 dried Scorpion pepper pods
2 dried smoked Serrano pepper pods (or Jalapeño)
2 lbs fresh honeydew melon
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp powdered ginger
2 tsp coarse sea salt
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 dash powdered cinnamon

Put on some latex gloves. Stem the peppers and cut them lengthwise. Remove the seeds. To release more flavor roast the peppers in a skillet on medium high heat and press on them with a spatula. I usually do this for about 20 seconds. To reconstitute the peppers bring a pot of water (about 1/2 cup) to a boil and add the peppers. Boil for a few minutes then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Save the water for later. Then add ALL the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Then pour the mixture back into the pot with the peppery water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. I let it cool before I funnel it into 5 oz. sauce bottles. Below is the label I made for it. I will post more of my sauce recipes as soon as I can.
Scorpion_Venom.png

Sounds awesome!! You look like you've been spending some time on your sauces and labels. I noticed on both posts you say you let it cool down before putting in
5 oz bottles. May I suggest you take some time to read the "Hot Sauce Making 101" thread. It explains the need to bottle and seal your product at a higher temperature to keep "nasties" out of your final product. If you are planning on selling, the last thing you need is someone getting sick and blaming your product.

Having said that, it sounds like you have some really tasty recipes and I would love to try my hand at them.

Back